UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

August ruminations 2020

griff

Woken repeatedly at stupid o'clock by flashing lights from the west and very distant rumbling, so that must have been the Chesterfield storm. We have one promised for this afternoon but I bet we don't get it. Weather forecast less extreme for us from tomorrow, gradually getting down to something more sensible over the next few days. We can only hope. Too many clouds last night to see the Perseid meteor shower, though I was out on the reserve until after 10, taking Wispa for a late walk.  Saw a tawny owl though. 

Mad rush this morning to pick up raw food supplies for Wispa at 9 am and get them back quick before anything defrosted. Wrapped them in insulating material, all now stowed in freezer. I have enough now for about 6 weeks by which time I hope it may be cooler. 

Friend in Kent says it is now 33C in coolest part of her house.

Got to 25 here and that was hot enough for me. Keeps threatening thunderstorms but cooled down now so doubt it will happen. Thinking of the poor souls who died or were injured in the Stonehaven train crash. We had a landslide here at the Rest and be Thankful road last week but luckily no one was killed.

Survived my haircut - wasn't actually as bad as I feared, wore a different mask which didn't seem as claustrophobic as the ones I usually wear. Maybe the ones I've been wearing have been too tight.

Also had a wander into town and got a dress in the sale at a little boutique. Need to keep the local shops going or the town will die. So many small businesses here still shut that might never recover from this.

Edited by eve
  • Like 1

I need to get a haircut but can't face going to hairdresser at present, even with mask on which makes me more confident. OK with people I know, hate being in town and dealing with all and sundry. Spent 3 hours this evening on the reserve chatting with my amazing friend on subjects which would have bored the hell out of quite a few people. It's a good thing we met each other so at least we keep each other amused and don't bore anyone else. I would imagine that the signal crayfish would be a total dampener on most evenings out, and not everyone would be interested to hear about some guy who was responsible for wolf control in 1500. 

• Haha 2

Not quite as hot this morning as previous days. More thunderstorms are forecast but we've had a few now and it just gets more humid after each one. This weather can bugger off now.

Eve the Stonehaven derailment was indeed awful. It seemed like a very challenging location for the emergency services to get too but they met that challenge admirably. 

Dragged myself over to Steve's, don't really know why...but whilst I was there...the police turned up next door...to the new neighbours! Van with 3 in and she didn't answer the door! My nice neighbour met her today, I will withhold judgement but suspect the house has yet another weirdo in residence

Oh No Griff, was hoping you'd get some peace at last.

Owl, I would be fascinated to hear about wolf control in 1500 but then I''m a bit odd too lol. There's a reason the half a dozen of us on here stick together lol. So pleased you've got your wonderful friend in the real world though as well as us misfits on here 😀

• Like 1

Errrr Eve, I are you insinuating that I/we may be weirdos lol.... probably c*** on with that!

Yeah, seems a bit odd next door, tbf, they are quiet at the moment and she is kind of giving the impression that she doesn't want bother....but her actions are kind of a little different...I feel for her if it's true what she says about the cooker not working... apparently they offered her a microwave!! Not being funny, I don't have kids but I doubt everything cooked ping would be great for them! 

Mmm, not insinuating Griff, stating as a fact lol. Take's one to know one and I'm happy to be one lol. Though I'd probably draw the line at knowledge of crayfish Owl, apart from them being very tasty.

Really hoping your neighbour means what she says Griff and causes no trouble.

• Haha 1

My friend has only just found out about the wolf control man through local records. He had a house in Mansfield Woodhouse. We don't know how much work he actually did, but it's interesting that he still held that office at a time when the wolves were in decline. Perhaps he just went out to deal with  problem wolves. As for crayfish, if you come across the invasive Signal Crayfish, feel free to eat it. They are killing off the native crayfish and anything else they come across in our rivers.