UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

August ruminations 2020

griff

Well, here we are... August already, and all those shielding can be released back into the wild ( well not Marion and Ruby), I really hope you all cope o.k with the arrows, one way systems and basically the stupid people you will most definitely run into

No more need for the baked potato song ( although the phrase thank you baked potato will be used daily in my life... bloody thing is stuck in my head now)

Good morning, and thanks for starting off August, Griff.

Wispa had a better night with no frantic licking and panting. Will monitor carefully over the weekend and if symptoms have gone will cancel vet appt.  I suppose it could have been a strain in tail area, we will see. 

Owl, maybe even if her symptoms have gone might it be as well to keep the appointment? If it's anything like having a toothache and then it goes so you cancel the dentist and then..bam..it comes back..you might find she starts having problems again and you'll have to wait for another one?

Griff, on the subject of rats..I imagine that fancy rats which some people have as pets and find very friendly and clever were originally bred from wild rats? Or am I wrong there?  We thought of getting a couple of rats rather than a hamster, but then thought that it might stretch Candy's tolerance a bit too far! 

Morning both

Owl, pleased wispa seems better.... hope whatever it was troubles her no further

Suzeanna, yes...I would imagine that fancy rats would be descended from brown rats...way back when.  I like rats and mice, very very loving and very clever

August already.  If we think back to  when we looked ahead to 2020 we never  envisage how the year would develop.

2020 will go down in history for future generations . 

Pity we can't rub it out and start again.

I had field mice coming into the house and garage. I got battery powered deterrents    which have worked.They packed their bags and moved on.

A hot, sticky night but a breeze is getting up so that will chase the midgies away so probably more gardening.

Owl, Cleo had a few days of panting and her nose and ears were very warm. It seems to have passed and I wonder if it was just the muggy weather affecting her. Alternatively, one of my   dogs had arthritis which was worse when  it warm . Cleo does have arthritis in  the leg that had the cruciate repair so it may have been that.  She is fine now.

• Like 1

Watch for the ratties moving in when winter starts. Remember that dead rat pong we had in our house after our street and 2 or 3 around us had that rat problem? Uuurrggh I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Owl has seen a photo of one of our rattie visitors feeding his face on our bird table.

I love pet rats and wouldn't mind having a couple. They are descendants of wild rats but it took many, many generations to breed them to a domesticated level.

Blackmagic I hope you get a quick sale so you can go and get settled in Edinburgh. You are so right about 2020. It's been a 💩 year. It will be one that gets talked about & remembered for a very long time.

Griff I know nothing about this baked potato and as I don't want an ear worm going round & round in my head I'm not going to click play 🙃😂

Wispa seems to be completely back to Wispa-normal, very sparky and bright. And a bit noisy!  All discomfort apparently gone. She is telling me we should go out but I am going to wait until late afternoon/early evening then we can do polytunnels and she can have a walk and a splash in stream. I take note of what you say, Suzeanna, but not too hard to get another appointment if needed, you just have to keep ringing that phone until you strike lucky.  I also wonder if maybe she got stung by something.

• Like 1

Hope they can get to the bottom of it Owl (excuse the pun!).  Seriously, I hope it's something easily sorted, it's not good to see them in discomfort. Does she tend to have trouble with her anal glands?

Cant get over how selfish people are being, parking where it obviously isn't allowed.  People in Wales got their cars and caravans towed, serves them right.  A local bus service at Creswell has had to give up service one village as they just can't get through, due to people parking where they shouldn't to visit Cresswell Crags. 

• Like 1

No, Wispa never had that trouble before but one of the puli girls did. 

Not much room along that road by the Crags if people start parking outside proper areas. The visitor centre reopened today, plenty of room in car park but you have to pay. Or was it a question of everyone rushing at once so that they filled the car park? 

We have developed a section of society who are irresponsible, selfish and litter louts. It seems to be all about ME.

I hope the vet can sort Wispa out. Cleo had her booster last week and I had to phone from the car park and the vet  came out to collect her.   A vet nurse returned her afterwards. 

Same at the doctors'.  Ring the bell and wait in your car until you waved in.

My optician has emailed that they are now doing eye tests and will contact you  about an appointment. they are starting with those who missed their appointments due to lockdown. I think I was due April/May so probably a while to get round to me.  It is a tiny place so you are  only allowed  in by appointment.  Two assistants and two customers could not socially distance .

• Like 1