UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

July's Jubilation

griff

Hope it all fits in Blackmagic. Safe journey back home.

You're not tactless at all Owl. It's lovely to have some good news to cheer us up. We share good times and bad on here. Really happy for you.

Hope your tummy settles down Jazz.

How frustrating for Philip, Suzeanna. Hope he's not hanging about too long. On the upside, you have free reign on the internet for a while lol.

It's very important that Wispa approves, Owl.  I told Philip that when I leave the planet, I hope he finds someone else but what if he meets someone who seems ideal but they don't like dogs? He said then they wouldn't be ideal, would they? 

Yes Eve, I can actually play Farm Heroes on a big screen!

• Like 1

Very pleased to hear your good news Owl! Good news is really important at the moment!

Some friends rang yesterday to say they are moving west. I will miss them being so close but am very pleased for them. The lockdown made them have a major rethink about what they wanted from life - so they are going from the sound of the M25 in their back garden to the more rural delights of Somerset. I'm more than a bit envious.

• Like 1

Owl, you aren't tactless!!! That's utterly brilliant news and I hope it continues for as long as you wish! Very very important for wispa to approve, I left my ex because diesel my staffy didn't like him....if she wasn't happy, I couldn't have that.

Blackmagic.. hoping you manage to fit everything in and a safe journey home

Eve, get you...binge watching boxsets!! I have just been given Disney plus for 6months but not watched anything yet....4 people can use it at one time and Steve's having a great time... he's watched all of the mandalorian

Jazz, hope your tummy settles

Suzeanna, I really hope Philip doesn't have to wait 6 hours!!

Karen I hope you get to go for lots of visits when your friends move 👍

Owl just give us plenty of warning if we all need to buy hats!

I hope Philip has got his tech difficulties sorted. 

I've got in the shower with my slippers and my glasses on - not at the same time though because that would be silly.

No hats will ever be required, Yantan.  Not my scene. Wedding in 1984 was low key and hat free. I would have gone for civil partnership if it had been available then. 

Very good riverside walk today with Wispa having a long run offlead and a bit of a splash. Didn't see anyone except a man in a small dredger clearing weed 

Karen, a number of people have made big life decisions during lockdown. 

A good friend of mine has now ended furlough as she has had a home phone and line put in, but she has elected to work from home indefinitely and only go in on Saturday morning for the weekly stocktaking.  As the office cannot be arranged the same as before,  the people who like to come to the office are coming in and those who prefer to WFH are continuing to do so. Makes you wonder how much commuting was necessary in the first place. 

Philip is mostly sorted..just got to get Chrome reloaded, but he needs permissions for that.  He was at the office for about an hour and a half, then came home and went back to collect the offending article this afternoon.

I wonder how many of these lifestyle changes will actually work out? When I'm bored, I watch Escape to the Country sometimes and I can't help feeling a lot of people have unrealistic ideas of what life in the country is like.  You hear too often about town dwellers moving to the countryside, then complaining about church bells..cows mooing...dogs barking at kennels...that sort of thing.  Philip went to agricultural college when he left school and his first job was on a farm.  Some new houses had been built quite near, and one of the residents rang his boss and said could your man call the cows in more quietly please? Much hysterical laughter all round at the farm.  Oh, and they didn't like him taking a tractor home either, but he said the 5am start up might not have helped!

I was reading today that the costs for HS2 are spiralling ever higher and a leading financial body are saying it should be shelved.  Considering how many people are happily working from home, it shows you don't need to commute but I bet they won't admit it's a mistake and should be abandoned.

I don't do hats Owl, but have a natty little fascinator that I could dust off if required? Please take all the teasing as a sign of affection for you. We all really care about your happiness.

Agree Suzeanna that life in the country is not a peaceful idyll. I do love where I live but my neighbour is a tree surgeon and often brings his work home with him. So chain saws going full pelt and then the shredding machine grinding up the branches. Tranquil it ain't lol.

I think more businesses will cut costs on office space and more people will work from home. I can think of a few ex bosses it wouldn't work for though as they couldn't stand the loss of control of overseeing everyone's working practices.

Hope you're home safely Blackmagic and settling back in ok

Don't worry, eve, I am not bothered by the hat jokes. I can see the funny side of it all.  I *may* have a hot date tomorrow in a gravel pit, and will do my best to dress suitably. Best wellies and jeans with no holes in.  

I see what you mean about some bosses who flourish on throwing their weight about, though I have mostly met those in care homes rather than offices. 

Big fuss among the birders about a Lammergeier vulture in the Peaks. Many of the regulars on the reserve have been going to see it. No chance for me, as it is 4 miles of moorland walking from the nearest road, then 4 miles back.

I don't go until Friday ,Eve. I am just getting organised in advance.

We  moved to the country and loved it but it is not always quiet. Harvest time with tractors going back home at midnight as rain is forecast for tomorrow so got to get the hay in tonight.

tractors and other machinery going backward and forwards. 

Lamping to catch the foxes killing the lambs.

Log lorries trundling past with logs from the forests.

The sheep complaining when the lambs are taken away.

And the dirt on the roads . At certain times of th year it is not worth  washing the car. It is mucky again by the time we get home.

There are no local shops, no public transport, no street lighting, no pub within walking distance . In fact very little within  walking distance.

But a fantastic community.

But we  loved 'being in the country', away from the rat race and the   bustle of town life. Meting 4 cars on the single track road is rush hour.

• Like 1

I have lived in the town, country and at the seaside, each has its good points but I prefer the town... obviously with good neighbours lol. The seaside was nice except for tourists, not being able to get on a bus, get into your local pub, the shops increasing prices and then the drunken tourists fighting. Steve is adamant he would love to live at the coast, I have told him the idea that you have and reality are two very different things

Owl, enjoy your gravel pit!

Suzeanna, I can only think of one situation where the time saved on HS2 would be of great importance and that's when someone is dying and those minutes can make the difference between you being able to say goodbye or not..... even then, I doubt I would pay the price of the ticket! All it was for was because most of Europe have high speed rail ( I think) so it was to bring us into line with that....but we are leaving Europe so does it really matter? They have chopped down so many woodlands, destroyed habitats of animals that I wouldn't use it on principle...seems they get an idea in their heads and just crack on and do it...no matter what the voters actually think, bet if we could vote on HS2 they would get a shock!