UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

June. We can do this!

Jazz

Woe is me. Car was making a horrible noise at weekend so have been staying home, it is now with mechanic who says either wheel bearing or drive shaft.  He is stripping it down and will give me a call. Either way it is going to cost quite a bit. I just hope that it is replaceable. Wheel bearing not too bad but drive shaft could be bad news. 

Van is ok! It was clogged up with limestone dust which had set hard when mixed with mud and water. Andy just phoned me laughing, he said it was the first time he had dealt with a drive shaft wrapped in concrete! Off to collect it now.

Edited by owl

1 hour ago, Karen said:

Phew, paying for a bit of muck removal is so much better than paying for a major mechanical issue!

It is, but still 4 hrs labour as it had to be removed with hammer and chisel after everything had been stripped down. The wheel had acted as a high speed concrete mixer. The drive shaft had been dislocated and the boot had come off, and the concrete had started to scour the wheel bearing so it's good that I stopped driving it. I saw what had been chipped off and it was definitely concrete. Andy said he had never seen anything like it in all his years of fixing vehicles.

On the way to the reserve I go past 4 aggregate and concrete firms, where lorries drop stuff on the lane. Mix that with the limestone on the byway through reserve, add a bit of water, whizz it round at high speed, and that is the result.

We have had heavy rain, sun and hail at intervals through the day.

Trust your vehicle to be different, Owl! Seriously though, I thought companies such as builders and also farmers who left mud or whatever on the roads were meant to clean it off? Perhaps you should split the bill four ways and send to the firms involved!

Sorry, haven't read back and if I do now I'll lose what I've written, something leaked I take it Jazz? 

Griff, how is your mum now?

The aggregate firms are along a byway, so probably doesn't count. I don't think I would get away with that, Suzeanna lol 

What I will do is take it regularly to a carwash near the reserve which has a very high powered jet wash suitable for industrial and agricultural vehicles. I have been going along that road for 6 years and it is the first time any vehicle of mine has had this problem. Could have been a combination of weather circumstances plus less use of car. 

I had a Huawei and have got an Alcatel X3 2019

Owl, the car could have already had an issue and it's just been exasibated and you have had to deal with it.

Suzeanna, mum is still in hospital, can't walk and in a lot of pain, they have said they would send her home when she can walk and then someone will come from the hospital everyday to give her IV antibiotics into her pic line..... going to be a nightmare!!

• Sad 2