UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

June. We can do this!

Jazz

Really wish it would rain here.

One of our local nature reserves has been burning since Saturday, so dry that cigarettes or abandoned barbeques have had a devastating effect. Horsell Common (where the martians landed if you know your War of the Worlds) was being deliberately set on fire by kids on Saturday. So sad that people have so little regard for wildlife, more than a bit frightening for people who live next to these areas and an unwanted extra stress for the firefighters.

• Sad 3

That's awful. We have had a number of fires near us but fortunately they were reported quickly and put out, apart from the big one in Hatfield Moor nature reserve which burned for several days.

• Sad 1

How we haven't had a major fire over the weekend is a miracle. The Lake District has been inundated with tourists and unfortunately many of them have not behaved in a decent and respectful manner towards our beautiful countryside. There's been discarded portable BBQ's left all over the place, trees and branches chopped down, fence posts and gates removed  to make fires & evidence of a number of Chinese lanterns having been lit. On top of that roads and pavements have been blocked by cars, narrow lanes blocked off completely due to parked cars allowing zero access in or out of villages and properties for local residents and, more importantly, emergency services. And the most disgusting - human waste left all over the place! 

So yes please, colder wetter weather for us too. The gardens need it, our reservoirs and wildlife need it and we need it to keep the irresponsible, selfish twerps away. 

• Sad 2

Shame the covid doesn't target stupid people, that would cull a lot of them! I think they are feeling that the overstretched police won't do anything no matter what! It needs a farmer with a damn big combine to drive through their cars. Criminal damage, taking fences and gates down and potentially allowing livestock onto the roads.  I really dislike the human race.

• Like 1

Horrible people. So many people seem to have gone crazy. How would they like it if folk from elsewhere came to where they live and used it as a toilet? Well done Scotland and Wales for keeping the tourists out.  Similar problems in the Derbyshire peaks. Local shops there have withdrawn disposable bbqs from sale because of fire risk and littering. 

• Like 1

We have our   problems with tourists as well. There were French  tourists at the weekend and some from London.

We are restricted to 5 miles for exercise  by guidelines but  Nicola said today  that if it is not adhered to she will make   it law.

On Saturday the police  dealt with 797 dispersal cases to prevent  large groups gathering.

Police dispersed more than 2,000 gatherings in Scotland over the weekend.

The hot weather continues here but we are due some rain tomorrow  evening and overnight.  The temperature on Tuesday  is 23 degrees and 13 on Wednesday!

• Sad 1

Was just going to say what Blackmagic did and we have our own idiots as well as importing them. It's country wide as far as morons are concerned, so far no fires here and fingers crossed it stays that way

• Sad 1

Richard's mum has just died. It was expected as she's being going downhill the past few days, but still sad. I hate that I can't go to her funeral, as though they're not my thing it was important to her and, being Jewish, will happen in the next 48 hours. But no dog sitters can come into our house, even family, with the lockdown rules so Richard will have to go alone. She was a lovely lady and I'm sad I can't pay my respects.

• Sad 3

So the Scottish border is not closed like the Welsh one?

One of the reasons for Wales taking such a hard line is an incident early on when second home owners raced to a remote village in North Wales where half the houses are holiday homes. They tried to buy up all the food and essentials in the village shop and got nasty when the shopkeeper said they were limited to a certain amount or there would be none left for locals. They started grabbing stuff and police were called to restore order. Sadly they were carrying Covid and most people in the village got it. Elderly population, several people died.

• Sad 1

It would appear not, Owl.

Last  weekend there were 9 Dutch camper vans in the Highlands.  They must     arrived in  England ( probably Hull) and travelled up as there  is no ferry link from Scotland. 

One fuel supplier said they have turned their pumps off inside and  check who is there before unlocking them. They don't sell to tourists.

No sites are open so they stop in the passing places and leave their  rubbish behind when  they move on.

No public toilets or hotels are open so we can guess what  that leads to.

A few weeks ago  a couple did come to a holiday house in one of the villages but the locals made them so unwelcome they left vey quickly.

However, a Russian family arrived a couple of weeks ago to their holiday home. Apparantly,  the police spoke to them but "were satisfied with their reason to be there ".