UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

May this be a good one

Jazz

Thanks Griff. I think it is a relay. The stalk on the steering column is fine. It happily self cancelled but the indicator kept indicating. So probably a relay.

Claims to fame ... my mum was chatted up by John Profumo who was visiting a relative in the Radcliffe hospital. The other nurses were envious as he was handsome and charming, but mum brushed him off as she thought he was slimy. Good decision!

My personal claim to fame is that I made Kenneth Horne laugh when I was 7 years old. Proud to have provided some amusement for someone who enlivened the airwaves for so many others.

Edited by owl
  • Like 2

My nana lost 2 brothers in the war, both were in the Merchant Navy.  

What sacrifices were made during the war and today some people can't even stay home as requested.

My nana's claim to fame was she knew Daniel Day-Lewis's mother, Jill Balcon, from the war years. Jill went to Rodean and the school was evacuated to our town. For a while Jill lodged with my nana and they kept in touch for many years after. If she ever visited up here she would call to see my nana. She was very posh but very nice.

My claims to fame are that I met a few famous folk when I worked at The Connaught Hotel in London.

• Like 1

I don't have a claim to fame really...errrr met numerous cov city players... back when they were a premiership team

My boss was Tom walkinshaw of twr arrows....the car racing team. And I got to meet Tony iomi from black Sabbath...fixed his car, I hadn't a clue who he was, I kept getting him confused with deep purple lol. I also fixed the guy's car who did GQ magazine in the UK. Once upon a time I used to meet up with lord Lichfield the photographer, he was a really nice man...posh but he didn't care what you had or hadn't got..at least that's the way he came across

I haven't met someone famous, but I was mistaken for someone well known in Greece! We were in Kos, and as we were walking past restaurants people were smiling and waving at us.  I thought they were being friendly, though it did seem a bit over the top.  We asked a young lad..about 12 year old..if we were on the right track for the beach and he said "You are on Big Brother!".  Erm, no...I'm English not Greek, why would I be on Greek Big Brother? I don't think he was convinced though and we kept getting attention when we went into the town.

• Haha 3

I can't help wondering how long exactly the Government think the present situation is going to last.  Grant Shapps was saying they are putting tons of money into making more cycle paths, and widening pavements, because people will have to walk and cycle more as the public transport system will only be able to carry 10 percent of what it normally does because of social distancing.  Really? Have you lot any idea how long doing that will take? Road workers aren't the fastest in the world.  It might work in the cities and big towns, but I can't see my husband cycling to Barlborough from here, there are some very big hills! Or are they planning to give us all electric cycles?

The wider cycle lanes are being done with cones etc as a temporary measure. The pilot projects for hiring electric scooters are going to be extended to all areas. There are suggestions of something like new Park and cycle places for cities, to encourage driving a bit less and cycling a bit more.

Then they will see how successful it all is.

I think it's a great idea if it encourages people to cycle and walk instead of driving.

Yes Karen, fab idea if you are young and healthy and totally inconsiderate of anyone else on the blooming pavement.  They will be on the pavement on their cycles and scooters because there are too many potholes in the roads to ride on them safely!

I was going to buy one of those e scooters when they first came out, it would have been handy just for nipping around but at the time they weren't legal for use anywhere public... there's 3 lads who have them here, they are on the roads and path with them and they don't half get up to a speed

Had my first fire in my new chimenea, haven't had a fire in years! Was lovely and the dogs were really really good, we got one with the wood store at the bottom and the fire pit higher up, going to get some toasting fork things, the only thing I would be able to eat toasted by a fire is toast lol... others could do sausages and marshmallows I guess.

Hoping today gives me news that Steve is better, he has been a bit off colour for a couple of days and last night he worried me quite a bit, he has been having back and tummy pains and he said his pee stank....I said he had an infection quite possibly in his kidneys but being a man, he refused all advice to go to the Dr. He very rarely gets cold, and certainly doesn't go to bed once he is up, yesterday evening he called me and said he had put a jacket on as he was freezing ( I was walking round in a vest) and that he was going to bed!!! I said I wouldn't call him and disturb him but my phone is left on all night so if he needed me to call, he did say that if he got worse he would contact a Dr but I think that was to stop me moaning.

Suseanna, the plan is to make more space on the pavements to enable social distancing. To be honest the pavements here are as bad or worse than the roads.

If you are someone who usually takes a train or bus to work, it's a daunting thought to do that and keep the 2 metre distance. I appreciate all efforts made to help people keep safe.

Technical info from today's gov.uk email. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/reallocating-road-space-in-response-to-covid-19-statutory-guidance-for-local-authorities?utm_source=9a88c9cc-fb6a-4017-ae83-b15086eb383b&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=daily

How are your new guests doing Yantan?

Edited by Karen

Karen they are frustrating! Poor May cannot get the idea of toileting outside although Henry mostly gets it. I came down to a shite show this morning. It's getting depressing. Their other training is coming in nicely though so that's something.

The trouble here with cyclists is that so many of them ignore the rules of the road, ignore "no cycling" signs like in the market square which is pedestrianised, on certain paths reserved for walkers, don't give way to walkers/pedestrians where it's mixed use and don't use the bloody cycle paths where they are provided! Nobody seems to have a bell on their bike any more either. 

Big change in the weather today. Much colder here and very grey and rainy.

We have had some refreshing and much needed rain.

Hope Steve will be feeling better today.

We could certainly do with proper cycle lanes, but I am dubious about how far this will decrease commuting. Do the government actually know how many people live within walking or cycling distance of their work? Most people, for example, who work in London could not afford to live there.