UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Aprils Antics

Jazz

Wow Suzeanna, wonderful stories you have though. My big regret is that I didn't ask my grandparents for their stories.

Lots of clapping here too Griff. They'd probably prefer a pay rise mind you, would be good if that was the next show of appreciation.

Glad you got your refund Yantan. Hope you get the rest refunded too.

Hope you all have a peaceful rest of the evening xx

Hope everyone has a peaceful night. I have been making all the people who turn up in my dreams stay 2 metres away! And they have been doing as they are told.  Social distancing from your nightmares is a good move.

• Haha 1

Personally...I believe that the police should fine any arse out without a good reason... Marion will testify to the amount of visits my nuisance neighbours have made... even though it's not their home, place of work or essential travel.. don't get me started!! I would like to see all fines procured through the breach of lockdown paid into a big fund and either given to the NHS or distributed for staff treats ( I would sincerely hope there wasn't enough for that as people should be home bored rigid lol)  in all honesty I think anyone out being a nob and risking others should be tasered..real pain hurts more than financial pain ( but then I do have an evil side!)

• Like 1

the sky man has been here an hour, sorting the cables outside that have broke for the 3rd time. yes he was due the other day, but after sitting here watching for vans from 8am to 5pm, rung up where is he? it wasn't booked! might have tv today yeaaa

the dog treats are dispatched, so happy about that

have a nice day

Suzeanna that's fascinating, thanks for sharing.

My grandmother took a Jewish lady and her child in after they managed to escaped the Nazis from somewhere in Europe. She was visited beforehand by govt. officials who told her that things could go badly for her if the Nazis invaded Britain and discovered she'd given aid to Jews. My grandmother replied "them buggers won't beat us". The lady and her child stayed for a few weeks until she discovered her husband had also escaped and was in Glasgow so she left to join him there.

My grandmother also took child evacuees from London escaping the Blitz.

She got a lovely certificate at the end of the war signed by the King as well as one signed from the Queen (later the Queen Mum) but she never displayed them. I'm sad to say they've since been lost in one of my house moves ☹☹

On the 50th anniversary of VE day I put up my grandmother's original bunting from the actual VE day celebrations and on the same house as it was still in the family then 👍

Griff I agree with you by the way on the fines. There are some really irresponsible, selfish people about. 

We were out clapping last night. My home town really showed their appreciation big style again this week 😁👍👏👏👏

What an amazing story Yantan, you must be very proud of her.  The thing that really impressed me about Prue, my godmother, was she was only about 22 at the time!

Griff, can't you report them to the police, or do you think they'd know it was you and take it out on you and your parents?

Hope your tv is sorted now Jazz, and doesn't fail again in the near future.

Owl, are the mice having a lovely party now you can't get to the reserve to sort them out?

• Like 1

I have no idea what the mice are doing at the reserve. The Muddy Fork project which grows veg and also raises young trees for the reserve has been closed, but I am sure that Dom the guy in charge will be going to look after the fruit and veg production as that is a necessary job. There is a firm in Retford which delivers veg boxes and they take a lot of stuff. Also the beekeeper will be going in to check the hives. As for what mice are up to, probably having a lot of fun but I expect Dom will catch and relocate a few.

Very young people did extraordinary things during ww2. When my mum was 23 and expecting me, she went on working until a fortnight before I was born because no one told her to stop. She couldn't get into uniform so was wearing a porter's coat.  She was sister in charge of a small high security hospital at Didcot which housed POWs who had been wounded and captured, including some Luftwaffe airmen. 

Edited by owl
  • Like 3

Fantastic story Yantan and fascinating job your mum did too Owl.

My grandfather was a train driver around London during the war and as I child I was faintly disappointed that he wasn't a soldier. It's only in recent years that I've seen more about the perils of driving a train - how visable the steam engines were in the dark to bombers and how they couldn't see where the track ahead had been bombed until it was too late and the engine was off the rails.

• Like 1

I have a seriously pee'd off husband! As he did last Saturday, because he was awake early he drove to Tesco to be there shortly after it opened at 6am.  Only snag..they've changed their opening hours to 8!! Huge queue of people all really annoyed about it.  They put big ads on tv telling you to stay two metres apart, blah blah blah, but they neglect to mention the change of time.  He came home, had a coffee and got back in bed.  He's just gone out to try again, but to our local one rather than driving to the one in Chesterfield.  Just hope he can get all we need or he'll be even madder when he comes home.

Oh Suzeanna I got an email from Tesco telling me about the changes to their opening hours. I never thought to mention it here. I am so sorry! I will post here if I get more emails about any changes in the future.

We had heavy rain last night and its very overcast today. This would have been the start of the Easter influx of tourists. They are not missing anything with the weather anyway. It is lovely to have the place entirely to ourselves though not by the circumstances.

• Like 1