UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Aprils Antics

Jazz

I very much doubt that April will be the best month ever Jazz. Have you seen what's going on in the world 😮

Is everyone sleeping alright? I'm finding I'm waking up a lot through the night.

Eve I'm glad the kennel cough seems to be on the mend. 

My brother's family dog, Taz, had to go into our vets HQ at Cockermouth yesterday for a scan. He's always had a dodgy tummy but he's lost loads of weight lately and has had a dire rear. There's no signs of tumours or anything like that but they have diagnosed a digestive problem with an unpronouncable name. Anyway he's on new medication and diet.

I hope now they know what's wrong Marion that the dog will put his weight back on... diesel got well skinny before I found out what was wrong with her..to the point my neighbour was going to report me to the RSPCA!! It was horrible the looks I got from people... despite the fact I was at the vets every few days.

I think that April and may will be bad but hopefully the summer will see a turn of direction.....I don't think this will be a short thing, I am keeping my ears open as China is back to its hideous ways so I want to see if they start with new cases

Griff I saw that some of the Chinese meat markets with the bats, pangolins etc. had opened up again and indeed some had never shut down in the first place! 😱😱 

On the other hand some areas in China have now closed down and banned the dog meat markets. Lets hope that movement overtakes the rest of the vile trade. 

The 1918 Flu pandemic started in the US when bird flu crossed from wild ducks to domesticated ones and a young farm lad contracted the deadly flu from them. He was about to join the army and took the flu with him to a camp for soldiers about to embark for France. It spread from there.

It's just amazing that we managed to go 102 years without another pandemic but here we are.

to brighten things up

I’m sharing this post because I literally laughed till I cried. I’m thinking we all need a laugh these days. This really made me laugh...
Read to the end to get the best laugh🤣 have fun!
The Middle Wife'
by an Anonymous 2nd grade teacher
I've been teaching now for about fifteen years. I have two kids myself, but the best birth story I know is the one I saw in my own second grade classroom a few years back.
When I was a kid, I loved show-and-tell. So I always have a few sessions with my students. It helps them get over shyness and usually, show-and-tell is pretty tame. Kids bring in pet turtles, model airplanes, pictures of fish they catch, stuff like that. And I never, ever place any boundaries or limitations on them. If they want to lug it in to school and talk about it, they're welcome.
Well, one day this little girl, Erica, a very bright, very outgoing kid,takes her turn and waddles up to the front of the class with a pillow stuffed under her sweater.
She holds up a snapshot of an infant. 'This is Luke, my baby brother, and I'm going to tell you about his birthday.'
'First, Mom and Dad made him as a symbol of their love, and then Dad put a seed in my Mom's stomach, and Luke grew in there. He ate for nine months through an umbrella cord.'
She's standing there with her hands on the pillow, and I'm trying not to laugh and wishing I had my camcorder with me. The kids are watching her in amazement.
'Then, about two Saturdays ago, my Mom starts going, 'Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh!' Erica puts a hand behind her back and groans. 'She walked around the house for, like an hour, 'Oh, oh, oh!' (Now this kid is doing a hysterical duck walk and groaning.)
'My Dad called the middle wife. She delivers babies, but she doesn't have a sign on the car like the Domino's man. They got my Mom to lie down in bed like this.' (Then Erica lies down with her back against the wall.)
'And then, pop! My Mom had this bag of water she kept in there in case he got thirsty, and it just blew up and spilled all over the bed, like psshhheew!' (This kid has her legs spread with her little hands miming water flowing away. It was too much!)'Then the middle wife starts saying 'push, push,' and 'breathe, breathe.
They started counting, but never even got past ten. Then, all of a sudden, out comes my brother. He was covered in yucky stuff that they all said it was from Mom's play-center, so there must be a lot of toys inside there. When he got out, the middle wife spanked him for crawling up in there in the first place.'
Then Erica stood up, took a big theatrical bow and returned to her seat.
I'm sure I applauded the loudest. Ever since then, when it's Show-and-tell day, I bring my camcorder, just in case another 'Middle Wife' comes along.
Now you have two choices...laugh and close this page or pass this along to someone else to spread the laughs. I know what I did!!!
Live every day as if it is your LAST chance to make someone laugh.

Yes Marion, they are back open ..I thought they had put a law in place banning it because of this alleged breakout from eating bats ..they were supposed to be passing a law preventing the eating of dirty random stuff....it appears not

Thanks for the middle wife story, that made me smile!

Let's hear the grenade story Owl - the curator of my local museum often talks about someone donating a grenade to the museums collection. It turned out to be live!

I used to live in Llanarth, a village on the main West Wales coast road, about 10 miles south of Aberaeron. The village primary school was on this road near a busy crossroads which led down to Newquay. 

Typical "Show and Tell" day, with all manner of items being brought in. Then this little lad said he had something which his great great great grandpa had brought back from France where he fought in the war.  Everyone was impressed and he had a brief moment of pride ... before he pulled a grenade out of his schoolbag and put in on the teacher's desk. 

Quick-thinking teacher cleared the school and phoned police. In minutes the bomb squad were scrambled and on their way from Hereford. Police put up blocks on main road.  This caused delays throughout a large section of the road, and there are no ways to get round the Llanarth crossroads which do not entail narrow winding lanes and horrendous hills. Not good for HGVs and buses. A few hours of traffic chaos before bomb squad safely defused the thing, which was live. 

The British grenades contained not only explosive but pieces of metal to cause maximum damage. 

The incident was on the front page of the Cambrian News. Rather embarrassing for the family.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My goodness, it doesn't bear thinking about does it? Sort of funny but awful at the same time. I bet that has stuck in many peoples memories for a long time!

I watched a program last year about the police force in either Belgium or the Netherlands who have a special division to go out and deal with WW1 ordnance still being ploughed up the fields now. The farmers pile everything up in a special area and it gets taken away and blown up.

My god mother was in the Special Operations Executive in WW2, and was parachuted into occupied France.  She kept some of the things they were given in a securely locked box at home but she showed me once and they included the cyanide pill they were given in case of capture, and a few other James Bond like gizmos.  Never mentioned grenades though!

• Like 3