UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March Madness

Jazz

The local shops and butchers, greengrocers are better stocked than the supermarkets as people are ignoring them.

I have been out for a walk with Cleo in the sunshine this  morning. I saw 4  dog walkers, two gardening. one hoovering a car, one on a bike and someone delivering a mother's day present  to the doorstep. That  is in a  housing estate. 

A facebook page for the  highland area has been set up to help people looking for items or delivering to someone who cannot get out. One woman was able to arrange for some frozen meals she had made for her mother to be delivered in another town.  

There is a lot of bad feeling in my town towards the holiday cottage letting firms who are telling their customers "no refunds on cancellations. Either come here or lose the money". Let's face it, if people can afford a 2nd home and some of them have more than that, they can afford to take a hit for a few months from not letting them out. They often charge extortionate weekly rates anyway so they have been making good money off them in the past. Locals are helping tourists, who want to do the responsible thing and stay away, by putting pressure on the owners, letting agents and other accommodation providers to make refunds.

The market square was packed with people yesterday. Not so many today but still a lot more just wandering around and paying no attention whatsoever to social distancing. They are walking past one another as normal, standing about in groups, passing each other in doorways. It's just unbelievable. They are buying everything up in our butchers, small grocery shops and our one big supermarket too.

We do have a lot of responsible B&B's and hotels who have shut down and are on social media asking people to please not come here but there are those whose only care is for ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ's.

And this is happening all over the UK. What a sad state of affairs. 

From Ian Blackford  SNP MP

The emergency powers legislation comes in front of Westminster tomorrow. I will be calling on the UK and Scottish Government to take a number of steps. Shut down all accommodation providers including hotels, guest houses, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday rental properties and the right for tourist camper vans to come to the Highlands and Islands except for those on essential working engagements that need accommodation. All camping and caravan parks to be shut to tourists, all ski resorts that are currently attracting significant numbers and any tourist destinations to be closed. The Jacobite train from Fort William to Mallaig as one example must be closed.

I need to call out examples of completely unacceptable behaviour. A spokesperson for Sykes who arrange holiday rental accommodation, wrote to me yesterday the following:

“Given concerns surrounding the current outbreak, it is understandable that people would want to arrange private accommodation in more remote locations to distance themselves from larger towns and cities.

“As latest Government guidance does not prohibit travel in the UK, we are continuing to provide a service for customers and property owners.”

This I have to say is the height of irresponsibility. This company are actively encouraging people to come to the Highlands risking the potential spread of Covid-19 that would threaten our communities and put pressure on the health services in remote and rural areas. We are not like a city where you can travel to the next hospital if one is already under pressure. If you live in the north of Skye you will be 135 miles to your nearest general hospital. Skyes are not alone. For example Cottages dot com are forcing home owners to accept bookings.

As there is a lack of an ability to accept responsibility we need to take action to force providers to shut down.

My message to tourists is in the Highlands we are renown for the welcome we provide. Once we have defeated this virus we will of course welcome you. For those visiting the Highlands just now, please leave. Please go home. For anyone thinking of coming to the Highlands just don’t.

• Like 1

From Scottish Government

“With immediate effect ferry companies will no longer take non-essential travellers.

From now on Ferries will be for those who live on our islands, who have an essential need to travel to or from the mainland and for essential supplies or business. Nothing else.

Those who do not normally live on the islands and have travelled there in the last few days will be able to leave to reduce pressure.”

• Like 2

Very sensible of the Scottish Government.  My daughter and her husband had intended to go back to Alonissos in April, but the Mayors of Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos have ordered that no one can enter the islands unless they are permanent residents, and no ferries are running from the large islands to the smaller ones.  There are hardly any cases of coronavirus in Greece and they want to keep it that way.

• Like 2

Supermarkets are, I am told, a but quieter. This may be because all the numpties have rushed off to local beauty spots which are now jam packed worse than a Bank Holiday.  There is plenty of room to exercise without being in each other's faces.  Why do people rush to the same places? Pack a picnic and find some quiet bit of woodland or forestry.  We have more visitors than usual on the reserve, and everyone is spacing themselves out and being sensible.

Day at home today, doing things in garden. My lovely neighbours Lee and Nicola have given me a free standing posh parasol which curves over a lounger. They don't have room for it at theirs since they have assembled a summer house. They also replaced a couple of fence panels for me. I had the replacements, just needed dropping in.

• Like 3

Very quiet when I took the dogs out earlier. I'm sure people are still walking their dogs but seems to be at different times and routes than usual. Seeing lots of pictures on social media of packed beauty spots. What is wrong with people?

My son and daughter in law popped round this afternoon for a couple of hours for Mothers Day. I did think of trying to put them off but as neither Richard or I are over 70 or have any illness whatsover I didn't. Do you think that was wrong? It's hard to know how far to take it.

The local holiday park here has already said it's not taking in any new guests from now on. Not seen anything from the local hotels or B&Bs but I'm sure they're following suit, or will do soon.

Pleased your sons looked after you today Jazz and you're well stocked for meals.

How lovely of your neighbours Owl.