UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March Madness

Jazz

2 hours ago, Yantan said:

Bad news here today. It's been confirmed that Ruby has breast cancer. Surgery is scheduled for April 2nd.

Very sorry to hear that. I hope that she will be allocated a breast care nurse, they are a great support. I would suggest that she doesn't keep googling for more information at this point - her treatment will be tailored to her and her condition and it's not helpful to read other opinions. Sending Ruby good wishes xx

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karen said:

Very sorry to hear that. I hope that she will be allocated a breast care nurse, they are a great support. I would suggest that she doesn't keep googling for more information at this point - her treatment will be tailored to her and her condition and it's not helpful to read other opinions. Sending Ruby good wishes xx

Breast care nurses are very supportive, I must agree.  I did look into every aspect of treatment and my surgeon told me I was the most well informed patient she'd ever had!  They seem to offer the same to everyone..radiotherapy for x weeks, then chemo, then hormone therapy for up to 10 years.  

11 hours ago, kats n greys said:

Hi Owl, didn't realise that The Refuge as a forum still existed.

Yes, a group of us have kept going and a few others read and also post from time to time. Much of what the forum did is now being done on Facebook. 

Thanks folks. Ruby was given a folder with loads of information about breast cancer in it plus a dedicated phone number to ring anytime she wants to ask something or otherwise get support.

Although I am back on FB because of Tye I still dislike it and stick to just following a select group of animal rescues and the people involved with them. There's no way I'd want to put personal stuff on there so I'd prefer to keep with the forum as long as its still here.

• Like 1

Could well have done Jazz. Whereabouts exactly did you hit yourself?

Yes, I had one of those folders Yantan. I read everything then it sat in a cupboard for about five years! Dumped it now.  Our hospital has a dedicated MacMillan Unit where everyone with any type of cancer goes and there is a separate area manned by MacMillan personnel with lots of leaflets etc. 

Got to go on Friday to see my oncologist and find out what this new and "very expensive" treatment is that he told me about last time.  Don't use public transport if possible they are saying because of the coronavirus...two buses each way for me! I'm hoping he can do something about these lumps on my collar bone, they've grown again and now it looks as if I have a small dumbbell under my skin, very odd.

I'd prefer to keep this forum too if we can. I think we can set up a private group on Facebook, just for us that the general public can't see, if we ever need to but it would mean people like Kats n greys and Karen etc would never find us by chance like they've done here. I prefer this format to Facebook as well.

Great result on the insurance Jazz. Hope your doctor can get to the root of your pain.

Sending more good thoughts to Ruby. I don't have much to contribute re her treatment and support as I have no experience of it but please don't think I don't care if I don't say much, I honestly do xx

I post personal things on here which I would not post on Facebook. Also Facebook keeps putting bans on people for no good reason because it's the way their algorithms work. If you share a lot of posts e.g. for a missing animal, it is assumed you are a spammer.