UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January 2020

Jazz

Morning. 

Isn't it wonderful to have all these official waymarked trails round the countryside so that walker, cyclists and horse riders can travel the country while staying off the roads. Isn't it wonderful when a big fast dog finds one and keeps going, probably from Rotherham to Chesterfield. At least it is a relatively safe place, but makes him a bugger to find.

• Haha 1

Hope the big dog is found safe soon Owl.

How's the mobile set up going Jazz?

Been lovely here today apart from a couple of showers, so got loads of clearing up done in the garden.  Cooper's walk was spoiled by a dunken/drugged up ned in the park this morning, screaming his head off. My poor wuss of a killer staffie was scared and just wanted to go home. Luckily the other two walks were uneventful lol.

Big dog is a GSD called Axel, 8 years old and very fit with a nice thick coat.  Moving at a fair pace, probably done about 15 miles since he took off on Friday at 5.30 a.m. Done a big loop and back near Rother Valley again. 2 drone pilots and a tracker dog helping.

But not us, this time. Out of our league, and we only turn out for very local, and preferably slow moving, dogs. Instead, I went on a litter pick organised by the vicar.  We had tea and some lovely cake afterwards.  One of the team found a big hedgehog hibernating deep in leaves and litter, and tucked it back in with plenty of leaves and twigs on top. 

Should we be scared too Jazz 😂

Good to know what to do with a hibernating hedgehog Owl. We have one who comes scuttling out from underneath a large rhododendron. I've been scared to clear out the rubbish from underneath it in the winter months in case I disturbed it but if it's ok to cover it back up again with leaves, of which there are many, then I'll maybe do a bit of a clean up.

Lots of good luck wishes sent to Axel

Thanks eve.

I appear to have bought a 2nd hand freezer. For ages I have been looking for one in between under counter and full height. My under counter sized one is full of Wispa's raw feed with minimal room for owl food. 

Trying to be patient with people on Axel's page who thinks a dog on an adventure won't go very far, when it is clear that he has. If dogs never went to places they didn't know for no good reason except fun and curiosity, life would be a lot easier. 

Sorry to hear that, Yantan. I assume your travel insurance does not cover those flights? I don't know about these things as I have not been on a plane since 1969 and that was only from Belfast to Gatwick. 

Possible sighting of Axel this morning at Sothall,  a village on the western edge of the country park. If that was him, he is not far from his home.

Had to back out of buying the freezer, after getting a call from my mechanic, who is replacing rear wheel bearings. Estimate more than expected.Never mind, I see that Argos do a table top freezer so will get that at some point fro extra space instead of replacing the under counter one.

hi. how are you all?

been shopping and the electrician has been to do a quote. he does all building jobs so has looked at the shed too. think ill use him whatever the price and know it will be done right. my son has been using him for years

Not feeling very good today, I've got a cough and the sniffles, plus a really bad stomach ache. Every time I cough it makes me stomach hurt more! I'm so tired, spent more of night awake coughing than asleep..woe is me!  

Owl, have you looked on the local free sites (as in free to get something, not free to advertise?) I got an excellent sewing machine from the Chesterfield one. Shame I can't work out how to use the blasted thing. I see there is a freecycle site for Worksop and Retford.

Edited by suzeanna

Yes, I have had many things from free sites, but a tabletop freezer is not easy to find.  There are plenty of under counter freezers and also big ones available free or for very low cost. but due to the arrangement of the fitted kitchen here I am limited to uprights, and a full size upright would be much more than I need. The one I was going to buy was 57 inches high and newish. This size is hard to find second hand. But I have now realised that a tabletop model makes more sense given my kitchen layout and would mean I could keep my existing freezer. So would be adding on to freezer space rather than replacing anything.