UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January 2020

Jazz

One of my presents from Philip for xmas was Bill Bryson's book The Body, A Guide for Inhabitants. It's really good, loads of information about anything you could think of and very funny asides, which is usual for him. I would recommend it.  I've had to unload a couple of bookcases so they could be moved before the new carpet comes in and I really must have a sort through.  I don't like getting rid of books but there are some which could go, I think.  Mostly paper backs but some big hard backs too, suitable for the charity shop.  One huge book on the birds and wildlife of the British countryside, which sadly is going to look like a history book before long, as so many species are being lost to us.

I feel your pain about giving books up Suzeanna! I'm trying not to think about the 150 odd I've sent off the charity shop.  I like Bill Bryson, I've read a couple of his earlier books so will look out for The Body although I have sworn off buying anymore until I reduce my "to-be-read" pile.

We had a sunny day which was good as it was a waymarking day at the reserve, where it was all hands on deck to out up signs so visitors don't get lost. I intended to leave Wispa at home but she was having none of that. She had to stay in the car most of the day then had a short walk.  She likes being on the reserve even if all she does is watch people work. 

I'm with Wispa - I love people watching, especially if they're working and I'm not lol.

I'm not good at parting with books either but I had to be ruthless when we sold the house in France and get rid of most of the ones I had there. Also had a bit of a cull here last year and gave some to the charity shop. Just a shelf's worth but it hurt to part with them. Have to say I haven't missed them though and the shelf is now full of new ones.

Was sunny here today but blimmin cold. Rain forecast now for the forseeable ☹️

Really pleased with the new carpet, especially as we forked out extra for thicker underlay.  The landing carpet had got so thin you could feel every floorboard (and hear the creaks, though that might have been me), and now you positively bounce over it! 

Some wet snow here first thing, but the sky has cleared now.  Colder than it looked though, as Philip had to scrape the car windscreen.  Hope you aren't too cold, Eve, looks bleak up there.

I gave a load of books away when I moved. alexa is reading them to me off the kindle so im happy, as I cant read a book any more

its freezing out there. as I opened the back door the cold hit me and made me have a coughing fit.

off shopping this morning. only got 4 things on the list, should see some bits I missed 

have a safe warm day xxxxx

I'm not looking forward to taking Tye out. Its damp, cold & miserable.

We have some blankets to deliver to a friend who is going to get them to a a small rescue at Alston as they are desperate for them. Alston Moor is a wild and cold place and I'll bet it's under snow today. Alston gets cut frequently in the winter months.

Quite how I am going to fit Tye, Tye's steps and two big black bags of blankets in my little Panda is something I have yet to work out!

Suzeanna the new carpet sounds lush. I'm glad you are pleased with it. I love the smell of new carpet.

Having now seen a photo of the carpet it's right up my street - or should that be stairs! 

I've spoken to the rescue about Tye's holiday accommodation when we are away and they are struggling to find a temporary pet free foster so have offered to pay boarding fees. Ruby and I had both decided we would prefer Tye go to the local dog hotel anyway. The dogs get a room rather than a kennel with underfloor heating, piped music and a nice long window overlooking one of the paddocks. Plus they get lots of attention, walks and activities in the 2 outside paddocks and the indoor play room. He's been getting to know them there from us renting a paddock for off-lead bimbles. We are going to pay for it though. I see how the rescue struggles to keep the funds coming in and we don't want to add to that. 

I got everything into the Panda OK, it's not as small as it looks. Blankets will be going to the rescue on Thursday. 

• Like 2

Philip should c*** his leg whilst walking Candy lol

Yantan, that sounds lovely..are you going to give him a trial afternoon or night? Bet one of the staff will end up taking him home! Honestly if I had been near and could have sorted something with my 2, I would have loved to look after him...he seems a lovely gent

Dog hotel does sound ideal Yantan, and lovely of you to save the rescue some pennies.

Lol at poor Philip being nagged by Candy but he has to know his place.

Finally went to physio today to try and sort out my shoulder. She gave me acupuncture as well as physio and exercises to do at home. I ache even more than I did before I went but hopefully that's it starting to work.

• Like 2

Had to tell Steve his biological father had died..in November and nobody bothered to tell him. I tried to call but had to message him, he went to work who rightly sent him home...they actually drove him this time, told him to contact his boss by midday...of course, he can't get hold of him so he has had to get the bus to work to try and see him. They have given him 5 days bereavement...he just says he feels very confused at the moment