UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January 2020

Jazz

Just heard back from the home insurance solicitor again...once again refusing to cover us for court, I actually googled the company today and it's quite common that they treat clients the same way as we are being treated... infact, one person has said that they like us were told not a hope in hell of winning ( by them) got a significant settlement! Apparently all they do is keep adding to your stress by getting you to enter into pointless correspondence!

So folks, if you are taking out home insurance and are offered legal cover, check they don't use Arc legal services

• Like 1

Hope you're feeling better Suzeanna.

We got hit by storm Brendan today, very wild and windy this morning, but dry so got the dogs out. Rain lashed down this afternoon so caught up on some housework, very boring lol. Hopefully better tomorrow.

• Like 1

We got a visit by Brendan. I managed to get Tye walked this morning before the worst weather blows in.

I don't know whether to complain to our park trust about people not complying with the on-lead requirement in one section of our park. I don't want to trigger a complete dog ban, that's the opposite of what I want, but I do fear that that is what will happen anyway as more and more owners ignore the rule - including a local councillor!

However it's not fair on the dog owners who use this section in order to avoid off-lead dogs. 

Mmmm what to do, what to do??

Edited by Yantan
Missing word

Yantan, on the subject of your flight.  If Flybe looks to be going down can you cancel before it does and get at least some of your money back, or don't their conditions allow that? My daughter says Norwegian Air have good prices.

Only bit of our local park where dogs aren't meant to be is the fenced off children's play area.  A fence off area with a ruddy big gap as they haven't put a gate on yet! (Only two years since they put up the fence, can't expect speed.) There are no onlead dog restrictions, but the ones who really annoy me are the owners with flexi leads at full stretch who don't reel them back and let their dogs tangle round your legs.  I ended up with a nasty bruise from a little dog doing that and if it had been any bigger it would have pulled me over. Owner didn't seem remotely bothered.

Thanks Suzeanna, the trouble is Flybe is the only airline with flights from Newcastle to Southampton. We fly back with BA into Heathrow and are booked on onward flights to Newcastle with BA, so unless they go under, we should be all right with that leg. Ruby booked the Flybe flights with her debit card and not her credit card so we cannot claim the cost back from the CC company. I'll certainly tell her to look into cancelling the flights and seeing if she can get something back. 

Eve I think that's the crux of the problem. The town council are the trustees of the park and they have no one to police it. The park keepers, who are essentially just gardeners, are not there all the time but when they are they don't say anything. Knowing a couple of them I did ask once if they ever tried to enforce the rules and they said it wasn't in their job description but anyway they weren't paid enough to stand having arguments with people. I can't say I blame them. Whenever I do point out the on-lead rule to people letting their dogs run lose I more often than not get abuse.

Roll on our house move! We are finally hoping to get the estate agents in a couple of weeks time. I am pleased to announce the attic is now empty, the de-cluttering is almost complete and apart from the problem of trying to keep the place looking clean and tidy with a big dog running in and out with wet muddy feet and disguising the emanations from his bum, we should be good to go.

Edited by Yantan
Bloody predictive text!
  • Like 2

I have van back. My mechanic is the best! He did one rear wheel bearing which he thought was the worst, then took it out for a run and phoned me to say we might get away with not doing the other one as the worst of the noise had gone. He then collected me and drove me around to see if I agreed. The horrible noise has indeed gone, or at least the worst of it. So he sent the other one back. Rear wheel bearings in Kango 4x4 take ages to do, so I have saved a lot on labour. 

• Like 2

That's a good mechanic you've got Owl. Mine is like that. I agree with Griff, it is nice to hear of a garage doing the right thing instead of fleecing customers.

I am confused by the rules over walking dogs off-lead within a town and along side busy roads. According to the 1988 Road Traffic Act is a criminal offence to walk a dog on a designated road, that is a public road, without a lead. Yet it seems if a local authority hasn't issued a PSPO then it's OK. There isn't a PSPO covering our town. I think it is the height of irresponsibility to walk your dog without a lead next to a road. I don't care how well trained people claim their dogs are, you cannot discount the unexpected. If those owners really cared for their dogs welfare they wouldn't even contemplate it. 

An off-lead dog in town ran in front of Ruby a few years back after a car back-fired and she fell down hurting her hand. It still gives her twinges to this day. The owner just disappeared, didn't even help her up.

I believe the law is any designated road...not necessarily covered by a pspo, however, I have yet to hear of anyone being prosecuted, same as the microchip law...as far as I am aware the dog wardens have never prosecuted anyone here for failure to comply with the law...even with repeat offenders. My dad used to walk diesel near the road with no lead, I banned him from walking her until he agreed to put her on lead lol