UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January 2020

Jazz

I am very lucky that I have work where I can make a contribution without actually doing much physically.  I can't do any of the conservation work or anything like that, and left the sheep team as a regular member as I was slowing everyone up.  The people are very good in that they are happy for me to choose what I can do, which is generally hang around and keep an eye on things, especially now that a lot of the sheep plus all the cattle are in a huge field right on my patch. I did notice a young Hebridean behaving oddly last week and flagged this up. He was eating and walking about OK but away from the other sheep and just looked confused and anxious. Turned out that he is very short sighted and could not see the other sheep in such a big field. Poor thing kept getting lost. He has been moved to another group in a small field and has settled well now that he can find his flockmates. 

I can also be an extra person for health and safety reasons, if someone is working alone on the reserve with machinery and requires someone else to be present in case of accident.  

Likewise with the Muddy Fork project.  I cannot do any heavy work but I can water during the summer, and no one asks me to do more.  

• Like 3

bloody great. electrics to the shed are dangerous, so the man has disconnected them. didn't know till he left, the hall plug socket was connected to it so ,have to put an extention lead to another power point. I couldn't plug my careline box to it, so if I fall, just hope I have my phones with me

Pingu has just posted on December thread.

2 nice things happened today. A 6 month old working cocker pup who got herself lost on a very overgrown and extensive former pit top area had the sense to go back to where she was lost from, and was sitting there this morning when her dad arrived.  Also a cat who escaped from car in which his family was travelling to their new home back in June, and ran into woodland near a major services on A1, has been trapped. No sign of him until a local resident spotted him on cctv last month. He went into trap carrying a freshly caught mouse. He is in good shape apart from a few scratches and some ticks. 

• Like 2

The cocker pup only went missing last night, but in an area where it is very hard to find a missing dog, and with several paths leading off it into farmland.

Cat escaped back in June, so was out for 7 months with no sightings until last month. His people were on their way to new home abroad so it was really difficult for them, but local people have helped and never given up. He is being cared for by Cats Protection until his family can collect him.

careline rung worried as they had been notified my electric is off. ive put an extension into an extension so that can work too. I feel ill, so best its working. hopefully ill feel better tomorrow so I can sort it out properly

that's good x

morning all

didn't get much sleep. kevin is worried if there is anything new he can see from the bed, so was woofing all night and alerting me. I showed him what was there, the extension lead, but was still protecting me. lewis is taking me out later, hes been on nights so we will both be yawning through it lol

try and get the electric sorted today

have a safe warm day xx

Hope you get the electrics done, Jazz.

Very mild indeed Owl, I keep seeing "weather forecasts" online from the Daily Express which have been warning of very heavy snow since late November! I wondered where on earth they got their forecasts from then I read it's some bloke who works out of his house, a one man band type who struck lucky some years back when he said it would be a hard winter so he's been churning out the same ever since.  You'd think they'd have a bit of sense and stop quoting him, he's obviously totally wrong.

The Express is notorious for its forecasts.  I have never known them do an accurate one. 

There was another one came up on my news feed, I think from the Mail. London is going to be brought to a halt by heavy snow on 17th January. So how deep will this snow be? 3 cm hehe, just over an inch.

• Like 1