UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November wrap up!

Jazz

Morning. Rain has stopped and there was a rainbow. House is steadily warming up.  I am still tired from Wednesday's journey.  More floods round our way last night so not planning to go very far, just to do a bit of shopping in our village and maybe go to Tickhill up the road where they have greengrocer and a good bakery. 

Trying to brace myself to leave home and drive to the supermarket. I feel as if I don't want to leave the house, which is most unusual for me. Wispa isn't trying to persuade me out either, although it is dry at present.  We must still be recovering from our time away. Next November we should find somewhere remote from towns but closer than the other side of UK.

Edited by owl

I was OK once I had got myself into the car and trundled up to Asda which is only a mile away. Got in lots of provisions and even popped into Aldi on way back and got some more stuff.  If I was really incapable of getting to the shops I would ask my neighbours for help, but I am not going to do that just because I feel bleurgh and don't want to go anywhere. Glad I did in the end. I also managed to get a load of washing done yesterday and dried  indoors today, so can bung another lot in tomorrow. House temperature is up to what it should be, which helps. Getting there, I think. Wispa is still sleeping most of the time but eating well and having the occasional mooch round the garden.

Morning all. For some reason I can no longer reply here on my phone though I can read. 

We went to look at the furniture again yesterday but made the mistake of visiting another shop, That just muddled our thinking as there was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much choice. So we went for lunch and mulled it over and decided that instead of trying to find chairs and beds to fit our current house we would actually be better waiting until we move. Then we needed a treat to get over our disappointment so went to the garden centre café on the outskirts of Cockermouth for the most divine scone with homemade bramble jelly. I've never had a better one. But that buggered up the diet for yesterday. 

It's good you got stocked up Owl just in case. We have a friend in Worcestershire and she had to go and rescue her kids from school during the flooding on Thursday and then woke up yesterday morning to find her house cut off by floodwater. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Much better to wait until you move before getting furniture. I bought a massive display case with cupboards for the house I ended up not buying, which had bigger rooms. It is really a bit much for the living room here and at some point I may dispose of it.

Does anyone have a word or saying that they use for their dogs or other animals? My nana always called our dogs "boopies babbies" which meant beautiful baby. We all used to smile whenever she said it, which to be honest was probably several times a day. However, as time passed I found myself using it. George and Archie both got called boopies babbies or even just boopies. Ruby picked it up too. I was reminded of it because I heard my niece telling their dog he was a boopie babbies so it's truly become intergenerational! 

I would just get a dirty look if I called mine something like that., but a complete stranger might get away with it, especially an elderly lady. 

I have come back from the reserve. The lakes are now too deep for everything except swans and coot and a few mallards. Most of the birds have cleared off to forage for drowned worms and soil creatures in the sodden fields. One of the cafe staff who loves in Retford has had to move in with grandparents as she has 6 ins of water in her house. 

We had a short walk along the banks of the Idle. Wispa was puzzled by the change in the landscape, as all the places under the willows where she likes to paddle were under several feet of water.