UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

September had better be better!

Jazz

Oh Loobie, how tragic. Have a wonderful break in Cornwall - I love it down there.

Jazz - no he is too stubborn to use a scooter. That would mean admitting he's disabled, which he's not ready to do yet. Has to be his decision I guess.

How awful, Loobie.  They had a piece on local news last night about the violence in Sheffield and how so many young people are involved in knife crime.  The main focus of the programme was on a man running a boxing club, and the lads they spoke to there said they really enjoyed it, it taught them discipline and self control.  Eh? shouldn't parents and schools be teaching that? Oh sorry forgot..you don't say no to them any more, surely that is a large part of the problem?

Enjoy your break when you get to it Owl.  After ten years of a dog (Dylan) terrified of thunder and fireworks, it's a dream having Candy who I think would hardly blink if she heard an atomic bomb go off! 

Eve, I do understand how he feels. My legs don't seem to be getting any better and I struggle to walk to the end of the street without having to act like a flamingo for several minutes, but I hate the idea of a scooter.  I was reading up in more depth about the drug I take for my blood cancer, and it appears that the pains in my legs could well be connected to that.  Can't stop taking it so I might have to swallow my pride eventually and get one. Hopefully the op will be successful and he won't need to even think about it.

Edited by suzeanna

Loobie have a lovely time with Sarah in Cornwall and please tell her I was asking after her. I remember her well. I still have a Flora magnet on our fridge. I also still have the snake she sent for Archie and he played with it right up until he got the canine dementia. Will you tell her we lost him in May at age 16. Thank you! 

How tragic about those kids :( 

We are off to Newcastle in about an hour's time for Ruby's follow up with the surgeon about her scan and blood tests. We are planning a stop off in Corbridge for lunch.

Yes, knife crime in Sheffield is dire. Also ram raiding of shops and other stops.  The situation for young people is at crisis point, yet I know so many who are amazingly mature and responsible. 

I am not sure that it is just that parents don't say no to young people. There is a lack of positive direction and a general lack of values. If parents use bad language and bully people online and face to face, what example are they setting?  Sarcasm and sneering are more fashionable than setting a good example and doing helpful things.  The answer is not a return to times past which were not as rosy as some people say.  

I suspect in many cases young people don't have much to live for, hence the drugs. Lots of spice all around here, very cheap way to oblivion. The prisons are full of it. 

Knife crime is rife everywhere, my home has the title of most violent city in Europe.. it's been the same since the 70's.. there's not a day goes by without at least 2 or 3 stabbings, and most days at least 1 shooting, the only difference is that now it's blatant...once upon a time the stabbings were in side streets in darkness, now it's city centre in broad daylight..same for shootings, no longer happening tucked away but slap bang in the city centre in fact I think it was about 6 weeks ago a young lad was shot outside Macdonald's in the middle of town!

I have a major issue with all these people who say that the problem is lack of community centres, it's nonsense...we didn't have a community centre, none of us got involved in crime.....we had parents who would discipline us, were interested in our lives and well being and actually knew where we were and what we were doing and also I think the schools were allowed to be a bit firmer...I am not talking the cane etc but they could call your parents and know that the parents would listen to the teacher and act accordingly not immediately be verbally aggressive and take their child's side straight away, don't get me wrong, when my mum used to have to come up the school, she would hear what was said, ask me my side and if she felt the teacher was right...well tough luck me! If however she felt I was right, she would defend me...not by shouting, screaming or threatening but by calm talking

its so hard, even 20 years ago. your not allowed to chastise your kids, someone will report you. My son, the day he started school, was bullied. 4th day I got called in because he had defended himself. nothing was done about the bully. I got shouted at one time by a parent. my son was bulling her son. I hadnt been told, how could I have done anything? I did once I knew

I didn't go to school the whole of the last year because I was fed up of being bullied. mother wasn't informed the whole time

When I was at school back in the dark ages, discipline was strict.  No corporal punishment but the teachers would throw board rubbers, the big wooden ones and boy they hurt if you collected one, and there was heavy use of detention for infringement of the rules.  I was hauled to the headmistress because on one boiling hot day I'd taken my tie off and undone the top button of my shirt!  I do remember when I was at infants school back in East Yorkshire we'd all been in someone's orchard and we were lined up and all got a stroke of the cane on our hands.  I thought I'd be alright as the head was my mum's best friend. No such luck!  None of us would have dared talk back to the teachers as our parents would have given us hell at home too.  I wasn't bullied at school as such, just ignored..which is as bad really.  In those days views weren't as liberal as they are now and it was common knowledge amongst the parents  that my mother was in a partnership with another woman (shock, horror!) so I was treated as if it might be catching.

Steve used to get the cane all the time lol..to be honest it really wasn't his fault, he can't read or write properly so therefore he couldn't do the work so played up.

Suzeanna, that's so sad...I am sorry you were ignored because of your mum's choice, it always upsets me when people judge children on the actions of their parents.

I too was of an era of having board rubbers chucked at you and yep...they bloody hurt, it's amazing how fast a line of kids can all duck lol

I had one incident of bullying and the school dealt with it quickly, I have no idea why it happened as it was my best friend! She set another girl against me and to this day I have not a clue why, my dad always told me you don't start it... you finish it. I was in the library and the2 involved came in mouthing off telling me I was going to get battered etc...well I won't hide from anyone so I went out to deal with it there and then, my grandad was a boxer..a very good boxer who taught me well, I have an awesome left hook and I was winning...however, the fight was at the top of the stairs and I hit the other girl, she fell back so I grabbed her to stop her falling down the stairs and through the glass and down 3 storey's, she did no more than kick me full pelt in the privates. Anyway, I went home, told my dad what had happened and my mum said she wasn't having it...I did the usual don't say anything it will get worse etc. The deputy head was someone she had been to school with and mum called her, she got me in the office and I didn't want to say anything, she called the other girl in and said that someone had witnessed her start the fight..she did, that I had saved her from probable permanent injury and that she had behaved in a cowardly manner by catching me when I couldn't defend myself...she pointed out a small mark on my head and said that it constituted ABH and that my parents were quite within their rights to call the police and have her prosecuted...that girl never bullied anyone ever again

• Like 1