UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

May Whats Happening?

Jazz

Our wildfire  is at last under control. Just some bits of peat reigniting so there is only one fire unit there now. There were 9 at the height of the fire. along with gamekeepers ,RSPB volunteers and volunteers from the community.

It has stretched for 10 miles and covered 50 sq miles. They managed to protect the RSPB reserve and the open hill opposite us but the wild forest and a large area of the heather moor have gone.  Much wildlife will have killed by it.

We had 24 hours of drizzle which helped to put it out.

Today started dull but the sun came out and it was very hot.  I have done an afternoon of weeding.  Just another couple of small beds to do and plant out the summer bedding.

I  started a family tree on Geni but only have back to my parents on it. I got an email from someone saying she is interested in   my dad's family name. But I have looked at her family tree and there is nobody with that name in it and my father's family all stayed in the same street , in the same Fife town, for generations. They  seemed to swop houses regularly as at each census the    families  changed.They had large families and used the traditional Scottish method of naming the first  son after the paternal grandfather,  the  first daughter after the maternal grandmother, then uncles and aunts etc. So the  cousins have the same names- very confusing.

I must dig out the rest of the information I have and update it.

• Like 1

blackmagic thank goodness the fire is under control now. I always think about the poor wildlife.

Yes the dreaded naming patterns. I think the Cumbrian method and the Scottish one are pretty similar if not the same even. We are so close to Scotland that all sorts of things have been passed across the border for hundreds of years.

I've had to come off Ancestry for a breather. I was getting utterly confused with facts and non-facts. The number of mistakes made also got me annoyed with people failing to check their facts. That's the first thing you should learn when taking up genealogy. Oh and life in general too! 

I think Archie is wanting his dish filled up judging by back and fro from his feeding station to me. Better go!

Yantan, it is easy to jump on a link without checking it through.

The fact that both sides of my family all stayed in much the same areas does make it easier, I think. 

It does become addictive.

I  use  Scotland's People which deals with Scottish records. 

I saw on bbc news site that the rain had helped people get the wildfires under control. All those creatures lost, so sad.

I have found the same with people putting incorrect things on Ancestry. Someone had put my great grandfather down as married to someone who he certainly didn't marry. At the same time as he was married to my great grandma. I know people have been known to have secret wives and families but not in the same small village! 

I always think about the wildlife when tragedies occur, does anyone here remember seeing the animals of farthing wood?? That sticks with me to this day

Just seen the little fox that waits for Steve.. looked very scrawny

kevin was just starting to put weight on again but now kara (was oreo) is back. they will only eat if they are together, but she must be grabbing his food. hes losing weight and shes gaining

seeing lewis this morning and hopefully david and Dylan this afternoon. david is 31 this week! all that time has sped on, its so quick. need to buy a card

Edited by Jazz

So as you suspected, not a kosher workman at all or he would have known.

Jazz, would it make sense to pop one of them in a crate with dish and feed the other just outside the crate, to prevent theft?

Someone should have a word with those idiots next door Griff "When you are in a hole don't keep digging". They are going to have to comply with rules, regulations and the law and do an embarrassing climb-down. 

We have 2 flies in the house that must have come from the Sellafield nuclear plant because no amount of fly spray affects them. Annoying little twerps. 

Yes Owl, spot on, not a proper workman at all

Jazz, could you manage a stairgate across the kitchen door...one dog one side and the other on the other side

Lol...I shouldn't laugh Yantan but that made me howl