UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March spring time!

Jazz

I've changed my mind a few times on my ideal place. I do love where I live now in lots of ways. Detached house in a small town with gorgeous scenery and great walks, nice local pubs and shops in walking distance. Downside is we're considered an island, which we're not, and lots of firms won't deliver here and my family  up here all live near Glasgow so any get togethers are awkward as we have to get a ferry back or drive round a scary mountain road in pitch black which is often closed in bad weather. On balance though it's a great place to live though I'm jealous of Blackmagic's land.

The Beast from the East could have hit anywhere, but at least you had more than 4 hours of daylight. That would be my problem with Orkney in winter. Snow is extremely rare on Scilly, isn't it? You were most unfortunate. Which island were you staying on?

Ruby lived in the Scilly Isles for a year and found the winter very mild although they did have a few good storms which stopped the supply boats sailing. It was May when I went and it was like being in the Med.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Never pluck your eyebrows without the aid of mirror

There's been no workmen at Steve's for 2 weeks, he tried calling the company yesterday and got no answer, I called and got through immediately so I suspect they have listed his number. I spoke to a nice lady but boy, they come out with some sh@te! Apparently we have to wait for there to be enough work in properties for them to send an electrician out, she said the supervisor is going to come out today,I said Steve is at work so she said he would call me and asked for my name and number, it's no good them trying to ignore my calls as I will change my phone settings so it just comes up private number, if he doesn't call me today, I will be on first thing tomorrow and then getting onto Steve's housing association and his local councillor, he has got so stressed over it...I think it's easier just to get an electrician out to fit the light and extractor ourselves and do the boarding in and plastering too and just buy the handles and glass and get it over and done with

The electrician turned up...he had no key but just popped by on the off chance, he has put the light up, was livid that nobody had fitted an extractor, he said he will try to come back Saturday...we are wondering where the key is, the HA will have to change the lock if it's gone missing as Steve's not paying

That is progress anyway. 

Warm sunny day here. We were out early as a guy who is in my bird group asked for help. His escape artist German pointer had beetled off in the night when not wearing collar and ID. As soon as we got there a call came from vet that the naughty fellow had been handed in.

And the fence has to be raised yet another metre ... I swear that dog can levitate himself.

So we didn't need to work and had a nice woodland walk instead.

Came home, did washing and it dried off well on line, Temp up to 16 with a nice breeze.

After that I went out for a ride on my bike and am now enjoying a glass of beer. OK the bike has no pedals and the beer has no alcohol but who cares?

• Haha 1

The moon is coming up over the trees behind us, looking huge already!

I read something today on Philip's facebook that I thought must be a mistake but no, it's true. 

https://naturalengland.blog.gov.uk/2018/12/12/the-facts-about-licences-for-wild-birds/

How on earth can they sanction killing sparrows, robins, bluetits, wrens and skylarks under the listing of "air safety"? Not to mention the ducks, etc.  I thought Natural England were meant to protect species, not try to wipe them out!

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, owl said:

The Beast from the East could have hit anywhere, but at least you had more than 4 hours of daylight. That would be my problem with Orkney in winter. Snow is extremely rare on Scilly, isn't it? You were most unfortunate. Which island were you staying on?

That was the first snow for 20 years. The girls in the hotel and the shop were excited that snow was forecast.

The taxi driver told us the last time it snowed it was 8.30pm. The adults woke the kids who were asleep to see the snow. By the time they had got dressed and outside the snow had melted.

We went there for out honey moon 50 years before and had a great week of mild weather and a choice of boat trips every day. If there were too many people for one boat they brought out another. 

We had an exciting trip to the Bishop lighthouse to deliver their Xmas mail- on 1 March. The sea was so choppy the mail had to be hoisted up on the Breeches Bouy.

Tims have changed. Very few daffodil farms, no boats except the  routine inter island one, less people, no tourist services, everything closed until Easter, self catering instead of guest houses.

There are water taxis in the summer. Some of the birders I know from the reserve make trips there to see rare birds. The only way I could stay there would be to camp. Self catering is too expensive for solo travellers. I went there with parents in 1964 when I was at uni, then around 1970 when I stayed in farmhouse B&B, then camping on St Agnes in 1976.