UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March spring time!

Jazz

just gave them their treats, they all had a dentastick, katie has a smacko. I bend down and give her a piece at a time. she looked at me 'really mother!' took the big piece and went to eat it lol

sent the lady a lovely picture of katie. shes been trying to get out of paying anything. not today! tripped her up a few times, so shes sending a cheque. don't know how much, but shes realised she was responsible for her, not the mother in law who was in a care home

Tbh Jazz, it's more a case of catch and eliminate...unless you can take them to someplace so remote they'll never be a problem and there are fewer places like that these days. 

We went out to a country pub near where my daughter lives...Travellers Rest at Apperknowle, Owl will know it.  Philip ordered a medium pork pie and you got two pieces of cheese of your choice (they have a huge choice!) Couldn't believe it when it arrived, not two small pieces of cheese, big slabs and their medium pie was what I'd have called a large! I was glad I had ordered something smaller! We took a lot of it home with us!

Image may contain: people sitting, drink and food

I'm glad to see ample portions being served instead of those teeny tiny offerings poncy places like to serve up but with a hefty price tag attached. 

Archie pooped on his sofa in his sleep but I managed to get him outside a little later when I saw his tail go up to do some more. He can't help it and the Archie that he used to be would be mortified at all of this.

If you could live anywhere, money no obstacle, where would it be? I would still like to live in Cumbria but outside the national park in a peaceful country setting with no really close neighbours. 

Wow, I agree, I like the large portions for a fair price

Awww poor Archie, he is lucky you understand

Drs for me this afternoon

Hmmmmm to be honest, Cov is a bit of a hole...violent as hell but I am quite happy here, would love to have great neighbours both sidrs. Steve wants to live on a canal boat, he reckons he would be really happy there

I know Philip would like to live in Scotland, west coast where his parents used to live..I'd like to live near the sea, but the Aegean not the North Sea! I would never want to live down south again, I'm a Northerner by birth and preference but boy it gets cold on the coast in Yorkshire. We both enjoyed Northumberland, so maybe Bamburgh area? 

That pub lunch cost 7.95 for Philip's giant portion Yantan.  If we'd realised it was going to be so much we'd have just ordered that and shared.  Last time we ate in a pub in the south we ordered ham egg and chips.  You could count the chips and see through the ham, if they'd tried serving that up round here they'd have been lynched!

• Like 1

id like to like to live in a village, detached bungalow. big garden. lovely views

been shopping and went in the carpet shop to order the lino. it says free fitting. she wants me to pay as much for fitting as the lino! and, the same price for 2 rooms as 3. we got a quote before. don't think so!

The Travellers Rest was only just getting into serious food catering about the time I left Apperknowle area. That is a very generous serving even by local standards. 

Meeting went OK except I got a horrendous leg cramp half way through and had to leave for a bit until it went away. I was relieved to find out that discussions and plans are already under way about the mink, but that was at a higher level and we on the ground were not aware. Unfortunately there is nowhere that mink can be released where they would not cause an eco crisis. They eat everything and have no predators or real competitors. Otters will push them out of an area but we have none on the reserve as far as we know. In their native habitat of North America and Canada, the environment is harsher in winter and there are other predators and competitors so not so many survive. Here in UK they just multiply. So they have to be trapped and very quickly shot at point blank range with an air pistol. The traps have electronic signals so it is known immediately when one is caught. I don't like the idea but they wipe out populations of waders, ducks, any bird near water, and are mainly responsible for the near extermination of water voles.  We have a few bitterns and water rail breeding on the reserve and need to protect them.

Edited by owl
  • Like 1

Griff I think everywhere (well almost) is getting more violent. We've had a couple of stabbings in town. Mind you it was someone from Manchester doing the stabbing and the person stabbed wasn't local but still - it happened here.  

Did the free fitting just apply to carpet Jazz?  We used to fit our own cushionfloor but neither of us are up to crawling around these days.  The last time we had any fitted it was in the bathroom after we had the new extension built. As we were also getting new carpets fitted it all came with free fitting. I hope you find something and someone to fit it if not for free then for a reasonable price.

Suzeanna that was a bargain price for that pie and cheese and accompaniments. If ever I get down your way I'll meet you there for lunch on me. 

Owl I know where you are coming from.  We are one of the few places the native red squirrel is still holding out.  There is a concerted effort ongoing to make sure they can live and thrive here without the grey squirrel upsetting the balance. This means greys are culled whenever they come within a certain distance of red enclaves.  It is upsetting but it would be a tragedy if red squirrels were to became extinct.

4 hours ago, owl said:

My ideal place ... would need to think about that one. Orkney for summer and Scilly for winter would be my ideal. Failing that I would just like somewhere next to the reserve.

We went to Scilly last February/March.We had  freezing winds and got snowed in by the Beast from the East.  Shelves on the only shop were empty because the freight ship could not call. Boats were off because of high winds.