UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Feb. we can do it!

Jazz

Fantastic news about Ruby's scan results

Ooooooo hope you are back to normal soon

Ahhhhhh, Pingu, that's the way it is in our house too.... whatever the animal it gets whatever it requires

Kitchen fitters haven't shown up at Steve's again, he spoke to the guy in charge... apparently they had to reschedule the asbestos removal team...Steve slammed the phone down on him, rung the company and told them to sack him lol.

• Like 1

Thanks folks. I'll tell Ruby when she gets back tomorrow. She's gone down to head office today.

I have given myself a headache trying to sort my family out on Ancestry so I am taking a break. I have found a 3x great uncle who was a fellmonger (dealer in hides and skins) a 2x great grandfather who was a cordwainer (shoemaker) and a 4 x great grandfather who was a hand loom weaver of wool, his wife was a wool winder. They are run of the mill occupations, which you see frequently in the records, but they are the first time I have recorded them in my family so I am chuffed.

• Like 1

No you have not bored us, Yantan. I get very excited when I find an occupation in my family tree other than farmer or agricultural labourer. So far I have a shoemaker, a baker, an innkeeper. and a seed merchant. The most interesting side of my family is that of my first father who died before I was born. A cousin several times removed got a scholarship to Cambridge, became a fellow of Ruskin College and founded the Workers' Educational Association.

Also I am related to a friend and neighbour of my sister, but she is not related to this person because her father was my stepfather. That side of the family is interesting because they didn't seem to move about very much even after the railway era when Bedfordshire people found it easier to move around as they were very central to the rail system  and to a lot of commerce. (Except for a couple of daring great-uncles who emigrated to Manchester!) 

• Like 1

Great news about Ruby, Yantan.  Hope that's the last health scare for you both.

Is the fish still with you, Pingu? 

I've not been too well today, awful pains in my belly and keep going hot and cold.

I can't afford to do the Ancestry stuff when you pay for it, and when I've tried on the free ones I get absolutely nowhere.  The only two people I found were on military things, those were my uncles but of my parents, zilch! My mother's maiden name was Laddle, which isn't exactly common but they keep trying to change it to Ladle.  

You haven't bored me Yantan. I find it all fascinating. I didn't know a cordwainer was a shoemaker, so that was interesting. My cousin has started researching my dad's side of the family but got stuck a couple of generations back as they came from Ireland and a lot of records were destroyed. She established my grandmother was born in County Mayo though so should I need to apply for an Irish passport post Brexit I'm eligible for one lol. I'd like to do my mum's side I think. Mostly farmworkers and we're hoping to get up to Islay in the summer where my grandfather was born. The illegitimate son of a married police officer so a scandal back in the day. Ive got his original birth certificate but it's so fragile now I'm scared to touch it.

You ok Jazz?

How annoying about Steve's kitchen Griff. Fingers crossed they turn up soon.

There seems to be a 14 day free trial on Ancestry now Suzeanna https://www.ancestry.co.uk/name-origin?surname=laddle

My sister is eligible for a Latvian passport should she want one.  The Latvian government has offered citizenship to refugees from Latvia and their children, including those from the Russian community in Latvia,  as a gesture of compensation for the genocide of Latvian Jews.