UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January 19 Here we go again!

Jazz

Bit of snow here earlier but didn't lie.

Snow, my step daughter takes her kids out of school in term time and she's never been fined either. I could understand if it was the GCSE or A level age group but don't think a five year old is going to miss anything life changing.

Dad was in quite good form today, thanks Suzeanna. He's still bed bound but seemed much more alert than he's been for a while. Even managed a bit of conversation, though I'm not entirely sure what we were talking about half the time lol.

Eve, pleased the funeral went well, Steve's uncles was today and that went well and my friends funeral was today as well and that went fine too.

We had snow but not settled yet

I believe that if it's not anything to do with exams, children can be taken out of school.... family time and visiting other countries are incredibly beneficial...I do however believe you should be given "homework" as a teenager, this happened with us, we had to write a little on the country we visited....what we did, the currency used , how to say please and thank you etc....took us about an hour when we got home so for 2 weeks away a fair swap....did my brother no harm, university degree and now a manager with Lloyds fraud department and I did o.k too

I am going to talk to Nick & Vicky about taking Owen out of school and paying the fine for a holiday - the difference is ridiculous, if we book a caravan for 3rd June its £149 for 4 nights if we book the week before which is half term the SAME caravan on the SAME site is £529 for 4 nghts!!! That doesn't include the cost of the ferry which is also a lot more just because of the date! Even if they both get fined thats £120 and is still saving us £280!! How on earth can anyone justify the price hikes like that??? 

• Confused 1

Snow, what makes me laugh is the travel agencies, holiday parks etc insist it's not just them being greedy! No? sure looks like it to me! Their argument is because there's more demand doesn't make sense, if more people want something surely it's better to bring the price down, not put it up?

Jazz that's it - some people are prepared to pay the higher prices charged so they'll never come down. All the holiday lets around us are booked throughout the school holidays. You can't blame people charging the higher prices when they are taken up so readily. When I was at school fellow pupils, particularly those ones whose parents were involved with tourism, were taken out of school for their own holidays which had of necessity to be taken outside the main season, Didn't do any of them any harm and a fair few of them went on to be high flyers and/or successful in their chosen fields. 

We woke up to snow this morning. Not a lot but enough to look pretty. 

Poor Archie has his nasty acid reflux this morning. 

Thats great for Zoe xx

We popped out to Costco this morning just to restock on the bulk stuff we get (toilet rolls, bin bags, water) as well as that we ended up with a new chair for Owen, enough cheese to feed the street several times over, 5kg of rice, 4 packs of part baked baguettes, 200 zeiss glasses wipes and 4 packs of Frosties. If it does snow here I should think we'd be fine for awhile 😁 

That's the problem when you get somewhere like Costco. You see to many bargains to come home without them.

Archie has now settled and has been fast asleep for the last couple of hours. 

We are having a naughty tea tonight - fish and chips, which Ruby is getting on her way home. I haven't had fish and chips for months so am rather looking forward to them. 

• Like 1

We had a Costco card and never bought a thing, we are getting a petrol station at our one and the petrol is a lot cheaper so will probably renew the card

Awwwww good luck Zoe, happy new home

Just walked up and returned the other size suit I got for Steve, I am managing to do over 3000 steps a day...I set that as my target so I can build up slowly

I didn't see the point of getting a Costco card for a long time until I got taken in by a friend on her card - we only joined about 14 months ago and just renewed it without hesitation as we save the cost of the card in just 1 shop as a rule. To get the best from it you do need storage space and we're lucky we have an integral garage though thats piled to the roof at the moment and desperately needs sorting out. I've never bought cheese before because they are huge slabs and I've always thought we just wouldn't get through enough but the use by date is May and so long as I keep it in the fridge in a zip lock bag it should be fine - I also bought a huge bag of grated parmesan - we get through loads of that so it will be gone long before any use by date.