UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January 19 Here we go again!

Jazz

We are meant to get snow Monday night, I think.  Eve, was your aunty actually christened Peggy? I ask as my mother was, and when she was at school they had a new teacher who said she didn't approve of nicknames and she would call her by her correct name, Margaret. Mother politely pointed out that she was christened Peggy, it wasn't a nickname! Mind you, her eldest sister was called Ada Florence after their mother, but always known as Nan, not quite sure why.

Not slippery today so I made it to the hospital despite my left knee deciding it hates me.  Two paracetamol and a codeine seem to have fixed it.  Platelet count is ok so stay on the same tablet regime and go back in three months.  What with three months for that dept and three months for the cancer oncology, I'm beginning to feel as if I live there!

They say there's always someone worse off than you, and boy was that brought home to me today at the hospital.  A young guy..couldn't have been more than mid thirties...struggling on a walker and obviously in a lot of pain.  I asked him what he'd done..he was blown up in Iraq, mangled his spine! This is about the fourth hospital he's been in, lots of steel in his back but it will never be right and he'll never be pain free.  I could have cried for him, and when he asked me my problems and I told him about the incurable cancer, he was so genuinely shocked and sorry for me I could have cried again, in fact I nearly am now thinking about it.  He said the Army is looking after him, he lives locally which is why he's now in the Royal and they are paying for his house to be made easily accessible for his needs, including one of those lifts that you can get a wheelchair into.

Poor lad Suzeanna. I am glad that the army is looking after him - as they should.  With modern medicine and surgery people are now able to survive many types of injuries that at one time would have killed them but some are left with their health being severely compromised nonetheless.  

Those appointments soon come round don't they. Ruby is off to Newcastle in a couple of weeks time for her first 6 month scan after  her surgery.

We had some flakes of snow earlier but they came to nowt.

Glad the platelet count is holding stable, Suzeanna. That poor soldier.  I hope there will be enough advances in pain management in his lifetime for him to get some improvement.

Snow was forecast for here but just got drizzle. Jazz, you are wise not to go out in snow and ice. I avoid it if possible. Wispa used to love snow but went off it about 3 years ago.

I rehomed the box of chocolates to my emergency dogsitter, who feeds Wispa and lets her out if I have to be away for the day.

Edited by owl

Good choice for the chocolates Owl. Brownie points stacked up for emergency dog sitting.

Suzeanna, my aunt was christened Margaret. I don't know why Peggy is the shortened name for it but it's all I've ever known her by. Obviously not just a Scottish thing then.

Good that the Army is looking after that young lad, you hear so often that our injured soldiers are just left to cope on their own, and I include PTSD and other mental health disorders as 'injuries'. Pleased the weather wasn't so bad it affected you getting to your appointment.

Edited by eve

Eve, I don't really know anything about my parents history..my dad died when I was nearly 7 and my mother moved away from Yorkshire and her brothers and sister and never really talked a lot about them but I wonder if there is Scottish ancestry, or even if her father may have been Scottish.  Apparently when I'd been naughty once I was sent to bed with no tea and I retorted that when I was big, I wouldn't keep a bairn and starve it! Bairn isn't a Yorkshire term is it, it's Scottish so I must have heard it from family.

Ah, my granny, Peggy's mum was from Southern Ireland so maybe it has it's roots there. There's so much cross culture between Scotland and Ireland that there are a lot of commonalities with the two.

Aw Jazz, feel for you (hugs)

My great aunt was christened Margaret but always called Peggy from the off. She was Cumbrian born and bred. From my hobby of genealogy I recall a debate within the community on the the use of Peggy for Margaret which genealogical records show was widespread within the UK and Ireland from the Medieval era onwards. Meg also derives from Margaret and from that we got Peg and then Peggy. I have no idea how Meg became a shortened version of Margaret though!

Owl I am sure your emergency dog-sitter will appreciate the chocs.

I'm here - the handover went well yesterday, lovely people with 2 lurcher girls they'd lost their big greyhound boy just before Xmas so if Jaffa/Freddie settles with them he won't be going anywhere. It was a long emotional day and we came home a bit battered emotionally and physically tired from the early start and long day in the car but whilst we both have shed tears and the house once again feels empty we are both certain we made the right decision for him and for us. 

I've finally got an appointment to see my eye surgeon tomorrow only 11 weeks over due! I'm worried about what he's going to say as my eyesight has been getting worse and worse since I last saw him which I'm hoping he's going to say is down to the drops rather than anything else going on with my actual eyes. 

he will be happy there then. at least now you know you have to meet the dog before deciding, and measuring lol

good luck with your eyes x

thought I was getting the stomach bug yesterday, but feel ok today. the roofs have ice on, but got to pop out and get a duvet cover with pugs on, couldn't say no to that lol

stay safe and warm. I care about each and everyone of you xxxxxx