UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January 19 Here we go again!

Jazz

Eve, I am afraid you are right. I have not done jury duty but several friends have. Mostly their fellow jurors took their duties very seriously, but one friend ended up in a scenario like the old film "12 Angry Men". 10 people just said the defendant was obviously guilty so they could make a quick decision and all go home. My friend and another guy said it would be dishonest to do this without discussing the evidence. So the rest went grumble grumble ok let's have a quick look.  One by one they concluded that the evidence was vague and inconclusive and proved nothing. The judge was willing to accept a 10-2 majority and eventually 10 decided that there was not enough evidence for a guilty verdict, one said there was, and the final juror, a very prim lady, said that as the defendant was a wicked woman living in sin with a man she should be found guilty anyway regardless of whether she had committed this particular crime!

Well I have looked into the bus service to Carlisle and I'd have to leave at 6.30am to make it there for 9am. Of course the bus goes by a very circuitous route with many stops. The courts usually start at 10am but the next bus would get me in too late. Taking the bus to Penrith and then the train to Carlisle would be easier. 45 minutes in all but the first bus and train would get me in too late! The journey home would be difficult too. Taking the bus would mean I would be doing 12 hour days. When Ruby did jury service a few years back she drove herself but had trouble finding parking every day and didn't get her parking charges back which amounted to quite a tidy amount! And all this is apart from medical issues that would make things difficult for me. I think I am going to have to be asked to be excused.

It's the only sensible thing to do, Yantan.  What happens if the weather changed for the worse whilst you were in Carlisle..heavy snow, and you couldn't get home? Not worth the risk even if you were 100% healthy!

According to my neighbour, we have rats at the end of the gardens, not surprising as there is a drainage ditch between our gardens and the fields. I did debate stopping feeding the birds, but to be honest by the time the flying hordes (and squirrels) have finished chomping for the day, there's never anything left for any hopeful rats!

Edited by suzeanna
spelling!
  • Haha 1

so.... nice man came last week to fix the shower, but he doesn't do showers, so the expert came today. he took an hour, consulted the manual, and decided the bit that controls what it does is faulty. no sht sherlock! I told them that! *breathe*. so now got to wait for the part

New doggoe how exciting!

I've got a diabetic eye check at the hospital on Thursday so have arranged for Archie's auntie Jan to come and sit with him so he doesn't howl whilst I am out.  What I hadn't realised was that I am in for a trim tomorrow but I should make it there and back in a half hour so he might not even notice I am gone. Fingers crossed.

The builders called this morning and the first thing they they said was "how's Ruby"? They are good lads. Real dog lovers too, so that's always a big plus in my book. Anyway weather permitting they are going to dig the old broken up concrete in the back and lay new plus arrange for a joiner to fit us a new back gate. 

• Like 1

Makes me sad to think Candy is our last dog, I've always enjoyed getting to know a new one.  At least we are ending our  dog owning years on a high note, she's almost perfect but just naughty enough not to be boring!  She's quite shameless about trying to pinch food from under your nose, and no socks are safe.  She doesn't chew them, just takes them off to her bed. I just wish she didn't pull like a train when being walked, does my shoulders no good.  I did rake out an old halti but she panicked badly when we tried to put it on her, so gave up on that idea.  I'll just have to suffer.