UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January 19 Here we go again!

Jazz

On 1/6/2019 at 9:45 AM, Karen said:

Meg has had phases like that, she looks round every gate post and in every door way just in case there is a cat. Two things have helped - firstly a bold pair of cats who will walk right up to her and miaow (its the ones that run that look exciting I think) and secondly to do some clicker training. I'm not very good with my timing for clicker work, but I can see it makes a difference. We use "look", so every time Meg looks at me during a walk she gets a click, "look" and treat.

I'm not very good at clicker training but would be willing to give it another go. If I read your post right though you click and reward after they look at you. How do you get them to look at you in the first place? Cooper's total focus is on his surroundings with me a long way second. That's the bit I need to crack I think. How to get him to see me as more interesting than a cat 😂

I prefer to live a poetry-free, booze-free, sensibly dressed semi-feral life prowling round the nature reserves.  After 75 chaotic and often miserable years of living on nerves and adrenalin, peace and quiet are more fun than drama. The only person I have to please is Wispa, who loves to prowl round with me.

There have been quite enough colourful (and in one case criminal) old women in our family already, so I am actually breaking with tradition by keeping low profile. 

I suppose that's one way of rebelling, Owl..be the white sheep rather than the black one!

I survived the trek in the hospital with a few stops to lean on walls, I did ask a passing couple of porters pushing a bed if they'd care to give me a lift, but the bloke already in the bed didn't like the idea.

I was just messing around with Faceapp, looked at how I'd look with long hair.  Ooer! not only did they make it long, it was red! Liked the colour but with the style I looked as if I belonged behind the bar in EastEnders!

2 hours ago, eve said:

I'm not very good at clicker training but would be willing to give it another go. If I read your post right though you click and reward after they look at you. How do you get them to look at you in the first place? Cooper's total focus is on his surroundings with me a long way second. That's the bit I need to crack I think. How to get him to see me as more interesting than a cat 😂

I'm not good with the clicker but it has helped and the same sort of thing also helped prevent Fern from yapping at dogs we walked past.

From memory we started with treats and a clicker indoors. Offer treat to dog and click as they take it. After doing that for a bit, add a word. We used look but you could pick something else.

When you walk,  start with saying Look when there are no distractions and offer treat and click when Cooper looks at you. After a bit he will hopefully look at you in case more treats are on offer - in which case click and treat. It's not an instant fix by any means, it needs working at and I would pick somewhere to start with where he is less likely to fail.

Don't forget to cut his food down as you will get through loads of treats to start with. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Karen

I think its possibly the angle Sue - Lisa says he's medium sized for a Greyhound Baddie was a big boy so I think this one will be more Noggin's size.  He's 4 -ish currently called Jaffa but as of Saturday he will be Frederick The Fast aka Fred lol 

• Like 1

Oooooooh Snow, what a guy! Lucky you. I hope Fred's vet check goes OK.

I've been called for Jury Service in March.  I don't know how I will manage it. If Archie is still with us I would need a dog-sitter to come and stay with him all day. I cannot comfortably (and safely) drive the 70 mile round trip,  never mind looking for long stay car parking near the court, so I would have to go on public transport.  I need to eat again not more than 3 hours after taking my morning meds otherwise I have a hypo.  It's going to be most problematic even though I have always wanted to do it.

What a stunning hound, snow.

Lol at suzeanna asking for a lift on a bed.

Car has stayed at garage as awaiting parts which will arrive in morning. Besides oil change with new oil filter it needs new air and fuel filters as they are old and grotty. A few other minor bits and pieces and new front tyres and it should be ready for MOT.  The timing belt looks OK from what they can see, but we will discuss whether to change it after we have got it through MOT. They are costing it up. We don't know if it was changed before I got the car.

The trouble with jury service is that you have no idea how long it is going to take. It may be short and easy or it may be a complicated case which goes on for a number of days. Someone I knew got landed with a pub brawl where there were several defendants and numerous offences, with many witnesses who were confused and contradictory about what had happened as they were off their faces at the time. 

You can get out of jury duty for several reasons, including medical ones. I've done it once and it was truly very boring. Apart from the interaction between the jury members. Our justice system is meant to be the best in the world but in the case I was on the judge would only accept a 10-2 majority. Got to 9-3 after much debate but just couldn't persuade anyone else that the guy was not guilty of what he was accused. Until one jury member realised she would miss her grandchild's first birthday party if she stayed any longer and changed her vote. And that's how justice was decided that day. Not that she stated that in the jury room, I overheard her talking to her daughter on the phone on the way out.