UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January 19 Here we go again!

Jazz

I shall think get better quickly, easily and inexpensively thoughts for your car Owl. 

Still waiting for the man from the council. I was told anytime between 8am and 4pm. I daren't get the hoover out as I can't hear when someone is at the door and the carpet in the dining room really needs a once over. It's annoying me.

Last year was another record breaker for the number of mountain rescue call-outs. 187 of them were due entirely to people's stupidity. Not having the correct gear, no maps, too inexperienced for the walks they attempted, setting off too late in the day and becoming benighted etc..  People think if they have a mobile with them they will be alright because they can use it for navigation and calling for help but what they don't realise is that quite often there's no signal up on the fells.  

they should pay. its like people who walk their dogs next to cliffs and railway tracks and don't understand why they got killed. they want fences round them all. no you prat! don't walk near them! or the dogs need rescuing. they should pay for that

Yantan, do you have a doorbell? If not, get one like ours,  the bellpush just sticks onto the front door frame then the receiver plugs in and there is also a freestanding one that you can put anywhere in the house, or if you're hoovering, in your pocket.  They are pretty loud, I hear it above the radio or the noise of the hoover.  Reminds me, I must change the ring on mine, it's got Santa Claus is coming to town at the moment!

• Haha 1

Managed my walk.. this is to tone my legs up and reduce my little beer belly ready for summer... didn't get as far as I wanted as I was struggling for breath towards the end... I was sweating buckets though... which is good. I ended up chatting to a workman for a bit who was quite funny. Got home and had some carrot and ginger soup ...yum yum

I rather like the fact that we don't have a doorbell. When George and Archie were both in their prime we definitely didn't need one. I always said we had door dogs instead of doorbells! 

Well done Griff. 

Right then the rat catcher has been. Oh I mean the environmental pest control officer. What a nice chap, just a young man, but knows his stuff.  There have been rats in our attic 😱 He spotted some rat droppings but they were old. He couldn't find any fresh but we have so much stuff stashed up there he couldn't do a thorough reconnoitre.  He told me that there are loads of rats in Keswick. He's also been to quite a few houses around here.

He did say the rats won't be interested in our attic if they have a good food source next door and were probably just having a look. There are loads of gaps in the brickwork all the way down the A form of the roof which is just how they built these houses back in the 19th century. If we wanted peace of mind we'd need to get our builders in to brick them up.

He's put bait in the attic and in the garden to see if any is taken, he will be back to check them next week. He could find no evidence of an entrance to burrows in our garden.  

One thing he did say was the worst thing you can do is feed the birds. Once the rats have found a food source they will move in. He'd been to a house recently where they told him they had been feeding the birds for nearly 40 years and never had a problem. He'd replied "umm, until now".

We are fortunate to have had concrete floors laid as rats cannot get in under the floorboards through airbricks. Not so next door and the one after. 

Marion...I feed the birds and we have mice in the garden occasionally, next door had a horrific infestation...mice in a sealed loft.... I still have no clue how they got up there but then the stupid arses got the insulation out and put it in the garage... moving the mice into the garage and my other neighbour had them too...we had one but stopped it getting in with no more big gaps and tinfoil

Griff that was clever of your neighbours!  If you feed the birds and have a table you can get a tray thingy to catch the bits the birds drop or throw out and if you have the feeders under a brushable surface so you can do a daily clean up that is a big help to not attracting rodents although not infallible . All so best not to leave food out overnight as that's when rats and mice will be most active and come looking. This advice courtesy of the man today. 

It's turning decidedly cold here. 

I only have one hanging bird feeder here

Absolutely raging...deags got beat up, lost her confidence...I worked hard to get her confidence back,  2stupid old farts have a dog...no recall nothing, told them before if they can't recall it... keep it on a lead, ran full length of the field today and guess what?? 12 week puppy off the lead no recall, climbing all over deags who was good pup kept coming so she growled...I turned and walked off with her and it started again....then the bigger dog has a go, so I grabbed deags harness, still the dog kept climbing all over her so I resorted to picking her up. When the silly git gave up whistling for 1 dog who ignores it and the other who hasn't a clue what it means, he comes ambling over,chuckling saying it's only 12 weeks old.... I was unimportant and told him again...if you can't recall it, don't have it of the lead...Morons should not be allowed animals!! How long before the pup gets bitten or dead?

I've said for years that people ought to pass a competency test before they are allowed to get a dog. Archie HATES puppies and any dog that tries to jump all over him and otherwise shows a lack of manners. The number of times I have had to tell people to put their pup/dog on a lead and take them away from us before they get a mauling. The answer is usually "but they are only playing" :banghead: 

I hope Deags is OK and no lasting hang-ups are triggered, poor mite.

I have a cordless doorbell and it is good but you have to remember to check it yourself from time to time in case the battery needs replacing.

Very silly to let a puppy run up to a dog. Wispa is pup-tolerant even though she is mostly unfriendly to adult dogs, but many older dogs find them a pest.

Today has been quite a good day. I went for dental checkup and teeth are fine, nothing needs doing. Then to garage and get car booked in for Monday. Mechanic agrees that the air filter could well be the cause of the black smoke. Then went home and took Wispa for a good walk with some offlead running. Did a load of laundry as well. 

Glad Archie is having a better time now. Long may it last.

Fingers crossed for the car Owl.

Hope Deags is ok Griff. I hate irresponsible owners. My lot are mostly ok with other dogs when properly introduced but Nick is scared of dogs running up to him and will react. It's all noise but because he's a staffy (even though he's a tiny wee one) he gets the disapproving looks. Really not fair.

Yantan, rats can climb so even having something to catch the bird seed won't stop them if they're determined enough.

• Like 1