UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November Nearly Christmas

Jazz

Free access on Ancestry.com coming up for anyone who is interested:

"This Remembrance Day marks the centenary of the end of WWI. ‘The war to end all wars’ touched everyone’s lives, from soldiers on the battlefield to families on the home front.

Starting this Thursday, we’re inviting you to discover your family’s own WWI story, with free access to millions of military and civilian records. Explore service records, casualty lists, electoral registers and employment records: everything you need to uncover your relatives’ stories on the battlefield and beyond."

Must be the time for accidents, Nick left a poo on the hall floor some time during the night. Luckily it wasn't a messy one and it's a tiled floor so easily cleaned up. Nothing to do with fireworks, they're not bothered by them, guess he just needed to go and he never tries to wake us up to let us know he needs out.

Hope poor Jerry's tummy is better soon and Wispa gets her voice back.

Really dreary morning here. It's stopped raining and the dogs have been walked but the sky's leaden and the air is so damp.

Hope everyone has a great day xx

It's mizzly and dreary here too. Philip took Candy for her usual evening walk last night and he said there were some really loud bangs, but she didn't even flinch! She definitely isn't deaf, they just don't bother her.

Eve, might be an odd question, but does your other half or a brother or someone play Farm Heroes Saga? Just I saw someone with the same surname and it's not exactly common.

Free access on Ancestry.com coming up for anyone who is interested:

"This Remembrance Day marks the centenary of the end of WWI. ‘The war to end all wars’ touched everyone’s lives, from soldiers on the battlefield to families on the home front.

Starting this Thursday, we’re inviting you to discover your family’s own WWI story, with free access to millions of military and civilian records. Explore service records, casualty lists, electoral registers and employment records: everything you need to uncover your relatives’ stories on the battlefield and beyond."

Thanks for that. I've been meaning to research a bit more about a local postcard that I have. I got as far before as finding out the girl in the picture was the daughter of a man who collated/wrote books recording the servicemen who died in WW1 so am looking forward to finding out more before I hand it all to the local museum.

I bought a poppy today and went back to buy one of their little enamel poppies saying 1918 2018.

• Like 1

My 2 and Molly have had them on for 2 weeks....no issue.

Yantan, I drink in the local legion and all they have are some clips that are supposed to be for your handbag but I had them a couple of years back for the dogs harnesses...first walk, Kota rolled..it broke lol. They are missing a trick really as most of us there would buy stuff for our animals

Archie's auntie Jan sells poppies door to door and she is a huge dog lover (I don't mean she's fat!) and she and I were saying the boxes should contain something people could buy for their dogs and other pets rather than having to go online to order them. They are missing a trick indeed.

I just checked online and they've sold out of all the leads, collars and tags with poppies on anyway although they still have some other items for pets.

I went into Worksop today to get haircut as I was starting to look even scruffier than usual.I had phoned and they said I could have an appointment at 11.30 so off I went. I hate going into hairdressers anyway but mine are ok, get it done with no fuss. As they have reduction for seniors we are the main clientele. I can usually shut my ears to the conversation if I don't care for it, but today there was a very loud lady who was awaiting a lift from her daughter and was determined to bend all our ears. Not only did we hear all her private family business but her health history in intimate detail ... far too much information. I nearly went into total meltdown as I am very hospital and doctor phobic, but one can't yell at a lady in her 80s. I did say quietly to my stylist that it was not what I wanted to hear, but she just laughed and said that Iris is always like that. Then the wretched woman went banging on about what the Japanese did to prisoners of war, which really upset me as my great uncle worked on the dreaded railway out east. It seems that Iris always has her hair done on Mondays so at least I can avoid her in the future. Good thing I did not scream at her or everyone would have been upset. Contented myself with an evil scowl at her as I left. I don't think she had dementia, she was just gobby.

• Like 1

I dont know my dads name, but know my brothers. I found the cutting in mothers room one day of their wedding, she went mad id seen it, but might have a look on there for him

think jerry is having mini fits. she just freezes. when she did that one time today, she attacked the foster. I pulled her off and put her in the crate. when she focussed, she was very quiet

I've tried looking on Ancestry in the past, and I've decided I was hatched. I can't find any record of my mother or father but I did find the records in the Merchant Navy of her two brothers who died when their ships were hit. My dad was in the RAF and invalided out after being wounded, but nothing under his name at all.

Suzeanna as next of kin you might be able to request your dad's service record direct from the RAF which could give you some clues.

On Ancestry did you try searching variants of your parents surnames? The transcribers of the records often mis-read them. The 1901 census records were transcribed by members of our prison system! You can also do a wildcard search - enter the first 3 letters of a name followed by a # to bring up similar names to the one you are searching for. They will be there in the records somewhere, you just have to keep digging.

I was also going to suggest trying searching the archives of Genuki mailing lists for your family names, as someone else may also be researching other branches of your family, but they are all offline at the moment. Here's a link to the front page anyway, as if you feel like a dig around, it looks like the message boards and some other facilities are still working and you might get a hit.

https://www.genuki.org.uk

Oh and don't forget the Mormon genealogy site which is often very useful https://www.familysearch.org but again beware transcription errors.

Edited because I was a 100 years out with the census! Duh.

Edited by Yantan