UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Harvest Festival Of Sharing

Yantan

Happy Birthday, griff.

Your mouse sounds like ours, Owl. Cheekily watching then scarpering back where it came from.

Suzeanna, your house sounds like ours. None of the walls are straight.

JIm is a perfectionist and is constantly finding botched jobs.

We have a nice sunny day today. I might do some pruning.

Just had a phone call from my daughter, apparently she put in an application to be on The Chase, and she just had a phone call from them asking her to tell them about herself, answer 10 questions etc then was told to attend an audition in Sheffield on the 21st November!

I can see us falling out though (not about that.) She thinks my son should tell his oldest boy Aidan, who's nearly ten, that my cancer isn't better but has returned. I've told her he most certainly shouldn't but she still is muttering that everyone should face facts. She can't seem to get it through her head that I don't want everyone constantly asking am I alright, I'd rather forget I've got the blasted thing until the time comes that I can't. Mark and Aidan are hopefully coming up on Friday for a short visit and we are all going out for a meal. I'll kill her if she goes and says something anyway!

• Like 1

Suzeanna, from the moment I was born,my grandad was poorly, mum never sugar coated it but was honest... people said she shouldn't be but I do think it depends on the child & for what it's worth...I don't ever remember asking if he was o.k. it is however your decision and nobody should take that away.... you can always write Aidan a letter for when he is a little bit older and explain your decision. I was 9 years old when I attended my grandads funeral to the disgust of a lot of people, my mum gave me the choice of what I wanted to do and I wanted to go say goodbye to my grandad.

Best of luck to her with the chase...give us a shout if she gets on

Lunch was lovely, we only had to pay for food, Helen bought us a pint and then carpet put one in for me too ...I could now happily fall asleep lol

Oh and Steve turned up with flowers and a card...I am made up with the card as he can't write very well

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed your lunch and the card and flowers Griff!

Well, my worries were unfounded, two nice guys took out the old oven and put in the new one with no problems whatsoever. The only snag is the smell! You have to put both ovens on at full whack for half and hour to burn off whatever they coat them with, let them cool then wipe them out. I've had all the windows open but it's one of those acrid smells that get the back of your throat, it's a good thing Philip isn't home yet as it wouldn't do his asthma any good at all.

Blackmagic, my apologies, I forgot to ask how Jim is now? Better, I hope?

Yes thanks, Suzeanna. He os 99% better. He still gets light headed if he turns his head quickly but otherwise he is okay.

I think children take their lead from their parents. When my MIL was in hospital after her stroke she lived in her own world. We just told the kids that she may say things that weren't right but she didn't know it and they just accepted it. We just went along with she said but my FIL insisted on correcting her which didn't achieve anything.

She would tell us she had been to church that morning and then made the dinner for Jim coming home from his work. She fed bits of her dinner to a little dog who was sitting beside her.

She blamed the nurses for her not being able to walk as , if they didn't let her walk she would never learn.

The part of her brain that motivates was damaged so she had to be prompted to everything. You had to keep telling her to take a drink of her tea or she just looked at the cup. She could only walk if you told her to move each leg in turn so she was safer in a wheel chair.

Oh. and she had been out dancing last night with one of the nurses.

She knew all our names but I don't think she understood who we were as she still thought Jim was living at home and working in the local mine, which he had been doing before we were married.

JIm found it difficult to visit her.

We have just hacked a weeping pear tree back. It looks scalped!

We thinned it out a lot last year and it just all grew back again so we have been more drastic this time.

Alan Titmarch said you can cut it back to size and we saw one trimmed to a column when we visited gardens outside Peebles in September. It looked really nice and took up less space than the full umbrella shape.

Happy Birthday, Griff xx

Suzeanna, the mouse was watching First Dates so probably watching the food. I can't really allow it into the sitting room as that is where all my paperwork is waiting to be sorted and filed.

We had a riverside walk on the Torne about 12 miles north of here. Favourite of ours as I can let Wispa offlead. We can see anyone coming from a long way away. There is a family of swans we always watch. They raised 2 large broods this year. The male has something wrong with his neck, looks as if he has swallowed something since we last saw him a couple of weeks ago and it is stuck halfway down. I called the RSPCA who will get an inspector out hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 2

Glad the oven is installed with no major disruption Suseanna. I'm sure your son will know how little or how much to tell Aiden and can stand up to his sister. You don't need that stress.

Happy birthday Griff. Really pleased the lunch with Steve was so lovely. You deserve it xx

Hope it's nothing serious with the swan Owl.

• Like 1

Oh you bugger Griff. I was trying to avoid finding out the GBBO winner as we have yet to watch it! :ohmy: :laugh:

Wet, grey and dull here. Archie isn't keen on going out in it so we are staying home today.

Jazz you are sure to see things that aren't on your list. It's one of life;s unwritten laws. It's also the reason I like internet shopping as I don't tend to impulse buy.