UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

September Tell Us About It

Jazz

Very good to hear you got home OK Eve.

I'm sick of this cold and cough now. I haven't been able to taste anything for about 5 days now.

Owl could it the same mice coming back in? Is there any way to mark them, without causing them harm, so that you could tell if they were arriving back?

After seeing mouse #13, not yet caught, skipping merrily along a counter late last night, I am wondering if some are returning. What I cannot understand is where they are getting in. Cannot think of a way to mark them without holding them and they are so small and wriggly and fast that it would be difficult.

Owl, could you put some flour around the outside of the house and check for paw prints and also if they get some on them it may mark the entrance?? Do you have a ground level air brick...or near ground level air brick....also if there is anything the size of a biro they can get through a gap that small

After seeing mouse #13, not yet caught, skipping merrily along a counter late last night, I am wondering if some are returning. What I cannot understand is where they are getting in. Cannot think of a way to mark them without holding them and they are so small and wriggly and fast that it would be difficult.

I've planned that if I need to mark one of my 3 identical half wild rabbits (for example if one needed medication) then I would use gentian violet spray. I know that its meant to be harmless and from the odd time that I got it on my hands when we had chickens it seems to last for a good while. Perhaps you could aim to spray a spot on different parts of the body while they are in the trap?

Philip says with a name like Owl, shouldn't you be making mouse kebabs?
  • Like 3

Couldn't be using poison either. Just because they're a bit of a pest doesn't mean they deserve to die. If that was the criteria I'd have been bumped off years ago lol.

Have you tried a sonic repellant? We have something similar to this in the house in France. https://www.littlefieldsfarm.com/rentokil-advanced-mouse-rat-repeller-dual-action-single-unitaveWe had a serious mouse infestation one year and they were really taking the mickey. Would run all over the kitchen and even come into the sitting room and wave at the dogs from the rug in the middle. While Tiffy and Kai would go after mice and rats in the garden they seemed to be oblivious to them in the house. So we got a couple of these and put one in the sitting room and one in the kitchen and we honestly haven't seen once since.

That's what we have in the kitchen, ours is a jml one, my brother had one in London when he lived in a rental flat with a huge mouse problem. We have some weird humane traps that tilt when the mouse goes in and it can't get out until you release it. We did have proper traps years and years ago but one poor little mouse got caught by the paws... dad let it go and it ran off but I don't think it will have survived...now we use humane

I think it will have to be the sonic repellent. Will order one today. I have been using the Big Cheese box traps which tilt when a mouse goes in. Evidence this morning shows that the clever mice have worked it out. There were tiny poos on top of both traps. If a mouse was on top, the trap would be prevented from tilting and another mouse can get in and out again without being caught.

Air bricks are only at front of house which has concrete hard standing and main road so no mice around there. Mice are in kitchen extension which has screed floor with vinyl on top so they could not have got a straight run through from the old part of house which has floorboards.