UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

September Tell Us About It

Jazz

Vet was brilliant with Wispa today. Let her in by side door and kept clear of other dogs. She has put on 4 kilos which is a lot. Vet says thyroid is possible but found a sensitive bit in her left hip and suspects she may have some discomfort there which is making her tire quicker. For the moment we will be monitoring her weight and if it increases then vet will do full bloods including thyroid. I can take her in regularly to be weighted by nurse which is free. She is to avoid long treks but have more short walks instead. Her heart sounds very healthy, which was my other worry.

• Like 1

I hate how dogs are left roaming free in other countries. Mind you, when I was a kid dogs did roam free.

In Ireland , where the rescue I got my dogs from mostly work, many dogs have a horrible life. They roam free. they are hurt but nobody does anything about it. Thr rescue have taken in dogs who have broken bones that have been left. the dogs are underfed and painfully thin. One was in the pound with a foot that turned under and was scraped raw. When investigated by their vet it was found that he had been born like that and had spent his life with that useless leg. Now he has a bionic foot. Another had his muzzle burned.

Two were left in a kennel in the garden when their owners emigrated. they were only found when neighbours heard them crying. They had been there for a while by then. Now they are terrified of being left.

How can people treat any animal like that.

When we were first married a little westie used to come and visit us every evening.He came in lay by the fire until 9pm then went off again. Some weeks later my parents, who lived two streets away. told us about a westie that came visiting them in the evenings. It was the same dog. He seemed to have a visiting route. He was well fed but belonged to an elderly couple so took himself for an evening constitutional.

My dogs hate being groomed as well. They go in the door and turn round to come out again.

They do the same at the vets. Sitting in the waiting room is okay bit they go into the surgery and turn round to come out again.

Murphy , 13 1/2, has sore hips and is on Metacam now. The vet said gentle walks but I believe in quality over quantity and if he wants to race along the beach or chase toys then so be it it, as long as he is not in pain.

Other than that he seems to be healthy but slowing down and getting deaf.

• Like 1

I think with Wispa what I have to avoid is walking on tarmac for any length of time, which limits the amount of tracking she can do. For daily exercise she is usually on soft ground either at the reserve or along the river bank. She had a good sprint after the police helicopter the other day.

The way some treat dogs in America is truly appalling. I follow a number of rescues in the US on social media and some of the things I see from them are truly heartbreaking. I am currently cheering on a dog, Champ, who was left with the girlfriend of a man when they split up. Supposedly only until the man could find a rental place that would allow him to take Champ, who was called Ace then. The break up was acrimonious and the bitch of a girlfriend took it out on Champ. She chained him up outside and never fed him yet she had two dogs of her own which were fed - in front of him! A neighbour grew suspicious and finally got a peek in at the back yard and saw Champ almost at death's door so called in a rescue group who managed to get him. The vet said he wouldn't have lasted another 24 hours. It's almost 3 weeks later and he's coming back to health, he's gained about 30lbs, can stand and walk on his own and he just loves everyone he meets. The rescue changed his name from Ace to Champ because that's what he is. Anyway this was a big story because the rescue made sure it was. The local sheriff went out and arrested Champ's torturer and the story made the tv news. The deputies clubbed together and bought Champ a big orthopaedic bed and people from all over the world are sending money for his vets bill.

• Like 1

Aw Yantan, Champ's story is lovely after a horrific start.

Blackmagic, my previous dog Tiffy came from Ireland. She'd been left by travellers shut in a caravan with a staffie boy who was the father of her 3 pups. Her ears and tail had been crudely 'docked' - hacked more like. Just left to starve to death and was covered in rat bites where she'd obviously been protecting her pups. Luckily they were found and rescued by the Gardai and all of them got great homes. She was my little shadow for a wonderful 8 years.

Fingers crossed Merlin's mass is nothing sinister Jazz and that the drops help your eyes.

Hoping Wispa's and Murphy's pain can continue to be managed.

Setting off on our 600 mile trip home tomorrow so might not be on here tomorrow. Hope you all have a lovely weekend xx

• Like 1

Poor Champ, but at least he's got a happy ending!

Our late lurcher Dylan was an Irish boy too..don't know his history, he was picked up roaming the streets and a woman from a GSD rescue who went to get a GSD from the pound couldn't resist his face. We had ten happy years with him, but all that time he freaked if he had to go past white transit vans, apparently the travellers drive them in Ireland,so I can guess where he started from.

Safe journey home Eve, try not to collect any unwanted passengers!

• Like 1

Eve I am so glad Tiffy found such a good home with you. Same for Dylan with you Suzeanna. I love happy endings.

Showing on my social media this morning was a story where police raided premises out in the back of beyond, somewhere in the USA, on a drugs warrant and stumbled upon a dog fighting ring. More than 1300 - yes that is right, more than one thousand three hundred dogs - were found. Poor little buggers.

Omg, that's awful! Humans sicken me 90% of the time.

I am sure you all heard about the 2lads stabbed in cov last week... one was the grandson of a member of the specials.. anyway, fast forward a week, a fight outside a school, 10against one, then a tw*t pulls a knife! A lady stepped in, was knocked to the ground and punched...the police??? They came but it's a school issue! A knife being pulled on a public street is a school issue... hilarious

• Like 1

Here's a photo of Champ taken yesterday. I won't post a photo of him as he was at the time of rescue as it's to distressing. It's taken less than 3 weeks of medical treatment, good food and loving care to get him to this point. His recovery isn't complete but if he continues at this pace it won't be long until he's restored to full health.

40617812_304357207012378_579482268978903

• Like 2