UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Augusts Better Be A Good One

Jazz

Our nearest neighbour is 1/2 mile away. We can't even see them. Fortunately, we live in a very friendly community- as long as you know the long standing family feuds and who doesn't mix with who.

Despite the distance between properties we know more people here than we did in living in a cul de sac in a town. One neighbour across the road said she would miss us when she saw the for sale sign. She hadn't spoken to us before.

We went to the Mey Games on Saturday and had a good day. I was very impressed with how my dogs behaved. They are not used to being on a lead all the time and being in a crowd but they did good. Cleo did bark at a very black police dog who growled back at her! Both got told off.

But they settled down beside us as we watched the games. Murphy did try to stick his nose in a lady's haversack as she rummaged about in it. She was amused, thankfully.

There as a very big police presence due to Prince Charles making his annual visit. What an entourage of hangers on he has with him. The tent where he sat to watch was searched with a sniffer dog before he arrived.

The games were attended by disabled veterans from all over the world to compete in the first ever adaptive games.

The spirit of these athletes was inspiring. They took part in events they had never done before such a shot putt, hammer, toss the sheath, toss a weight over a bar, tug o war - all the traditional highland games.

The girls had to be shown how the toss the caber and did really well once they got the hang of it. Two did actually manage to get it to go right over on landing. The ideal in to get it to go over at the 12 o'clock position.

Many also joined in the family egg and spoon race and some of the women ran in the flat races.

They never stopped all day and must have been exhausted by the end of the day.

https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/news/2018/august/making-history-at-the-highland-games/

Blackmagic, I do appreciate that being an athlete or sports person is a demanding thing but to me, those with disabilities are 10x better... just my opinion but I much prefer the Paralympics to the Olympics

I have decided I am just going to have as little to do with next door as possible, I know fine well I am a decent person who treats others nicely but I swear if I hear her be rude to my workman when he comes back I will let rip

blackmagic that sounds like a lovely community. Glad you enjoyed the Mey games. Prince Charles used to come here to stay in a B&B run by a farming family, who have since retired. His entourage and the security was scaled back a bit as he always made private visits and his B&B hosts sworn to secrecy about his visits.

We had much nicer neighbours at our last house. We lived just outside the national park in a village and most villagers were born and bred there. When word got round we were moving back to Keswick all sorts of people came to the door to tell us we'd be missed and out immediate neighbour cried when we told her the news. She had a younger sister, Margaret, who was at the development level of a young child, although she turned 60 whilst we lived there. I used to get on with her like a house on fire, even though she only had a few words that she could say and you had to listen carefully to work them out. I'd chat away to her and she adored our cats. She hated being given chores which her sister insisted she'd did. If I was working in the garden and Margaret came down their drive, which ran alongside our garden, I would tell her to get her wellies on and come and give me a hand. She'd wave me away and say "nooooooooooooo" so after a little bit of back and forth I would say "well are you coming in for some pop and biscuits and too see the pussy cats" and I'd get a big smile and a "yeeeeeeeeeeesssss" followed by her clapping her hands. When her sister and the rest of the family went off houndtrailing they knew she was safe because we were there to look out for her. Margaret wandered the village and went in to see all the old folk, who had known her all her life,and they'd give her tea, pop, cake, biscuits and if they had pets she'd sit and fuss them. Her sister died not long after we moved but her daughter moved in to the house to carry on caring for Margaret but we lost touch with them after that.

When we moved in here 18 years ago the street was still quite a "local" street, with a number of old folks, who have since died and their houses are now second homes and far more permanent residents than there are now.

Oooooh there's just been a big bust up on the street between the neighbours either side of me! I went out to stop Archie barking but at that point I hadn't realised there was an argument going on. So whilst I was there I tried to calm them down and the daughter of the strange one with all the lodgers started on me! I did not come down to her level. Her very much older partner, (she's around 30 but he's nearer 70) was really being nasty to the other neighbour (it was over parking) and it got very personal and mean. Oh heck!

Wish I was there Yantan, I would have grabbed a chair and watched the lot and went the old git said something I would have said if you behave like you are in a soap opera I will watch it lol. Honestly, I would love to go live in a field with no neighbours!

Just left the dogs...on my way to Steve's, mum and dad will be back soon I am praying for no accidents

I was laughing really Griff as I found it amusing but it was nasty.

I was relating it all to Ruby when she came home and we were discussing how we don't really care for living here any more. We love the house but next door (woman with lodgers) gets us down because we never know how she is going to be and she's always the cause of any trouble. The neighbour at the other side, who we get on very well with, is now 74 and won't be here forever, It's likely her house will be turned into holiday home as this is the way things are now. On top of this parking is a nightmare and has been getting progressively worse. So we started talking about selling up and we think once Ruby is out the other side of her treatment we will & buy something with retirement and future needs as we age in mind.

We're lucky with our neighbours in Scotland. Always willing to take in a parcel or put out/take in our bins if we're away but not interfering or annoying in any way. Hoping they never move lol. Much the same here in France with the added bonus that my French isn't good enough for more than a casual conversation. Well not with the local dialect anyway. They don't speak anything like they do on the language cds I have lol. Like Geordies on speed (sorry Yantan :blush: :laugh: )

How annoying about the hospital appointment Jazz. Hope you give them what for tomorrow.

Sounds like a brilliant day at the Games Blackmagic. Wonderful to see these inspirational young people achieve their true potential.

We have some rain at last - woo hoo. Reached a stifling 35C today but just had a few rumbles of thunder and some proper rain now. Starting to feel cooler at last.

Off to Eastbourne tomorrow to see my dad, sister and cousin. Just a day trip but it's nice to catch up. Fingers crossed for no delays on the Channel Tunnel.

Hope you're enjoying your friends' visit Yantan.

Night night all xx

Edited by eve

Ooooh yes I am enjoying my friend being here. Her husband is a nice guy and Archie adores him so that's good enough for me! We are not mentioning politics. Hey I am not a Geordie! They live on the other side of the country. I'm a Cumbrian, totally different accent!

Actually I would love to live where you do in Scotland but Ruby wouldn't even though she is half Scottish. Have a great day tomorrow in Eastbourne and fingers crossed for zero delays in the chunnel.

Archie wants to go to bed now which means he wants me to vacate the sitting room so goodnight all!

Eve, safe trip to Eastbourne

Marion, sad that you feel the need to sell but totally get it, I hope after your nice neighbour has gone the awful neighbour gets someone equally as vile as her!

Went to Steve's.. nightmare, will relay it later.. it's just been one of those days and I just got woken by the sound of a dog puking so I expect today is going to be the same!!! Brilliant

Cockermouth Jazz. It's 13 miles down the road. We can get a much better and bigger house for less money than this one is worth as it's outside the national park. Plus most of our good friends now live there too. When I am in the main shopping area of Cockermouth I always see someone I know but that seldom happens here in Keswick as it's full of offcomers and tourists. Cockermouth is still a nice little market town with a good mix and range of shops. The only thing I would regret leaving here is our medical centre and GP's.

Oh heck Griff but I'm intrigued!

I went out to bring Archie in, rather than calling to make him hear me, in the wee small hours of this morning, not realising that he'd poo'd on the path. Guess who stepped in it in her slippers?

• Like 1

Went to Steve's, dinner should have been there at 5.45..arrived 6.20, no apologies and stuff missing, called the restaurant who said they would send it out or next time I order just say I want my naan...I won't be ordering again and I live about 7miles away so they don't deliver. Left to get the bus back and waited..and waited, called the company, yes it's coming, it's late as a problem with the doors, bus arrives and he was on time..the one before was missing but he has the door problem and was told to operate them manually and continue the service, he did no more than kick off a disabled oap and leave us all there! Next bus another half hour so by the time it came a 40min to 1hour journey would have taken...2 hours!! Mum called the bus company, the lad in the office went mad and said he was getting the driver in the office as he had been told to continue the service, luckily my dad came to get me. Steve kept apologising as he had had 2pints and couldn't drive, not his fault, I should be able to get a bus to and from his place..1bus missing fine but 2, not acceptable

Edited by griff

Oh crikey Yantan!! Not nice

To be honest I could only afford chips and curry sauce..which is fine by me but there was hardly any chips and the curry sauce wasn't great, Steve enjoyed his though, the curry House by me is much better so I think next time I will order the night before and put it in the fridge or ask if they would have it ready for bang on 5 and I will pick it up on my way out.

Lol..I dropped curry sauce down my beautiful dress, got it out thankfully and then I put it on the washing line and broke that!