UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March Big Freeze

Jazz

It was a 10 am showing I went to and only a few there. It was surround sound which was amazing and not too loud. Sitting still was not a requirement and the music at the end was so happy that some small people were dancing in the aisle. No one minded.

Did people see the lovely happy roll that the komondor did at Crufts? Very nice guy with him, I remember him from my days of showing a puli (who by the way loved Crufts as she was very sociable).

Fish 4 dogs is a very good company.

Bloomin heck. I am a bit vexed.

I knew there was something going on with the street lamp that stands at the corner of the boundary of my house and next door as it had been sprayed with yellow paint. I thought there might be something going on with re-wiring or even a possible replacement despite that they changed the lamp on the top not so long ago.

Well today I found out. I was in the kitchen when I heard a pneumatic drill going. As a couple of neighbours have improvement work going on I put it down to that. It was only after I had come and settled down in the sitting room that I happened to glance through the window. The noise I had heard had actually been at the front of our house where a brand new lamp post had been erected. However, instead of disconnecting the old one and replacing it with a new one, they had dug a hole about 2 feet over right in front of our lovely new wall that was built just last year. The lamp post is actually touching it and the hole that they dug has exposed the footings of the wall. The hole hasn't been filled in yet, I have no idea how the lamp post is anchored but it surely must be and a plastic barrier has been left leaning up against our wall and across the new post.

I am going to trust that they know what they are doing and have not damaged our wall or its foundation. However I do think it would have been nice to have received either advance notice that they were moving the lamp post or, at the very least, have the work crew knock at the door to let us know what was going on - but no! Not a dickey bird. I've since read of people coming home from work to find that they could no longer park their car on their drive because a new lamp post had been installed. Our situation isn't that bad but I'm knarked that there was no consultation over it. Eye roll.

if you don't have a dropped kerb they can stick the lamp post where the heck they like, across the road from us, the closes all have kerbs about an inch high...of course, people didn't bother paying for a dropped kerb but drove illegally across the footpath and onto their drives, was funny seeing them come home and not being able to park on their drive and them trying to kick off at the council...to be fair, our council were pretty decent and came back and moved the lamp posts...they didn't have to but they did. I think what usually happens here is they attach a notice of works around the area, quite often not at the bit that's affected and crack on, i would nip out, go and take photos so if any damage is caused you have photographic evidence

• Like 1

Yantan, I'd certainly take Griff's advice and take photos, and if there is anyone present who seems to be in charge get the names of relevant people who have authorised this work so if any damage is done to your wall..or shows up in the future...you know exactly who to get hold off (preferably by the throat!). You're more trusting than me, I'd take the view if they can screw it up, they will!

• Like 1

They are here this morning wiring the new posts in & filling the holes in. I took notice of where the others are on the street & they are butted up against the old lampposts. So I went & asked the chaps why aren't they taking out the old posts & putting the new streetlamps back in the same hole. The answer "it's just the way we do replacements now". So my next question was why this new lamppost hasn't been butted up against the old one like the rest of them on the street. It's because next door's gas & electricity supply pipes are running just to the side of the old lamp post forcing them to come over a couple of feet. Well I can't argue with that but I stuck to my guns about having the old post removed & putting the new one where it stood. However I told the lads that I realised they didn't make the decisions & were only doing what they were told. The older chap said he would ask their supervisor to call in & have a chat with me when he arrived at 10 am.

Meanwhile they later came & asked me to move my car so they didn't damage it with their digger. I did & came back in & hear a pneumatic drill start up & I think they have just extended the trench along our wall!

It's all beginning to wind me up so I am trying not to over react.

Griff your neighbours were lucky they weren't charged when the council moved the lamp posts as generally if a householder makes the request they have to pay for the work.

A friend told me that friends of hers had reversed their cars of the drive of their new house to go to work. When they came home that evening they couldn't get on their drive as the street lighting on the new estate had been installed & 2 posts had been placed in positions that stopped them swinging round onto their drive.

Well it's way past 10am now & no supervisor has called. They have wired the new post up & are just carrying on.

You are so right Griff about them being able to place lamp posts wherever they like. We are just going to have to lump it.

I have loads of photos of the wall from when it was built so if there is any damage I have something to compare it with.

• Like 1

They've completed the work and have gone home now back to Preston. I ended up getting on quite well and they all pipped and waved as they went off :laughingsmiley: The supervisor never turned up.They lads were as cross as I was. They were telling me that they get a lot of grief off people and I had actually been nicer than most to them.

I've checked the wall after they filled in the trench and tarmacked it and it doesn't appear to have been damaged. They have left a right mess outside my neighbours though where they dropped the soil from the trench in front of us. They've swept it up but it's kinda got in the cracks and it looks very muddy if you know what I mean. They should have put boards down really.

I also know a great deal about LED lamp posts now! After reading online about people complaining about LED street lighting being too bright and causing sleeping problems I mentioned it to the workmen. Apparently with the lights they have installed someone can come along now with a lappy and connect to each individual lamp post and turn the brightness up or down. We'll see what it's like tonight. I hope it doesn't disturb all the birds who live in our big bay tree.

I noticed the sparrow hawk sitting in our garden this morning although with the noise of the work he/she soon took off and has not been seen again today.

I was sorry to hear that Stephen Hawking has died but didn't he do well! A great man with a wonderful mind.

Lol Yantan...for what it's worth, we have the led lights and they are absolute sh&te!! not very bright at all, it is cool though that you call up with a lamp being off or on all day and they just log in with the post number and do it

been busy ordering paint and cat food, drugs and dog toys (whoops) just need to do the dog food now...mum and dad go saturday and fly out sunday, 3 weeks of me and the poochies and catfink

I was sitting here at 10am, not dressed, when my friend messaged to say she was on her way so I was dressed, kitchen cleaned and the place tidied by the time she got here 20 minutes later.

luna still isn't clean, but I made some flapjacks, that's encouraged her. lets hope it continues. ill make more tomorrow

ive done a bit of training with her. she can sit, roll over, lie flat. we are now doing pulling a show lace. that can go to pulling my socks off and opening cupboards

• Like 1