UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Febs Chatty Time

Jazz

Thanks all.

Griff, the dogs probably hate that lovely clean newly washed smell! They'll settle once it wears off,hopefully.

The doctor I saw yesterday was amazing! He's a locum who's been there before but I hadn't met him, he's not English but not sure what..didn't sound Eastern European. He asked me if I'd noticed the lump he'd found and I hadn't, then he phoned down to the ultrasound department to ask if they could see me then rather than me coming back, so far, so normal. What wasn't normal was that when I'd been waiting forevvvverrr, he appeared clasping his bag, all ready to go home, said happily, oh I've found you, have you had it yet? When I said no he sat in the waiting area until I was called, because he wanted to know what the radiographer thought. He's obviously popular as all the breast care nurses coming by leapt on him and hugged him and said how lovely it was that he was back again! One thing did make me blink a bit, the radiographer said hmm, this is very close to the chest wall, I must try to avoid any major blood vessels as A&E won't be happy if I have to call them urgently. THEY won't be happy? I wouldn't have been bl**dy happy! Luckily she missed the blood vessels, shame about the nerve she didn't miss. It's still twanging this morning.

Edited by suzeanna
  • Like 1

Sounds like a keeper Suzeanna. Perhaps they will be inclined to offer him a permanent post.

I wrote out a post last night on my phone and thought I'd sent it OK but I don't see it here today so feck knows where that went!

I was ranting about British Gas. They got in touch last November to ask me to contact them to make an appointment for our annual boiler service. I did it all online but was a bit shocked to find that I couldn't get an appointment until February 7th, today in fact, but I booked it. I really would prefer to have the boiler serviced BEFORE the onset of winter.

So I've had a couple of reminders lately that the engineer was due today. All great but then the phone rang at 6pm last night and it was a woman from British Gas cancelling the appointment due to an overwhelming amount of boiler breakdowns and them having to give priority to those without heating and hot water. Right OK I understand that but then I expected her to offer another appointment in a week or two but no! They aren't taking any boiler service appointments through the rest of February or March and could offer me one on April 19th either between 8am and 12 or 12 and 6pm. I asked what had happened to the 2 hour slot that I was previously able to book and that I thought it was unreasonable to have to wait for so long for a re-appointment given that this service was really due last year in November when I was originally booking. They have previously diddled us out of a service by moving the date into the following year but wouldn't admit too it so now they have done it again! I am not at all happy about having a boiler service in April when it's so far from winter and out boiler is now 10 years old. Reluctantly I had to accept the April date. But then what what happened last night and again at 10am this morning? I got email and text messages reminding me of today's appointment! Now I remember why I won't have them supply our gas or do any other work for us. I only took the boiler service and breakdown out after our plumbers said they were the only ones that offered a really good comprehensive 24/7 all year round breakdown cover. I wonder if that still stands?

My nephew booked a service with British Gas last November hoping to arrange it for the school holidays at Christmas as he is a teacher. The earliest he could get was 21st January. Mt sister had to go and sit in his house to be there for them.

We have our boiler serviced by a local gas engineer.

We have a light covering of snow today with the odd flake coming down but it is very cold.

I have had sciatica for the last year. It has been slowly, very slowly, improving. I am very stiff down my right side from my shoulder to my toes, as if something was pulling tight and pain down my leg

Last night as I got ready for bed I felt something pop in my buttock. It was like a rubber band breaking and vibrating.

This morning I am not stiff and in much less pain.

I have been taking turmeric paste for a few months which did relieve the stiffness but I still had some pain.

That is much less today so it looks like it has done some good.

It is odd to stand up without the struggle that I have got used to.

That must feel so good blackmagic. We take our standing and walking for granted until we have a problem then realise what we've lost!

Yantan I've read so many bad reviews about British Gas that I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Our boiler is still playing up and we plan to change it in the spring. We're going with Boxt.

blackmagic that sounds - different! I'm glad you are feeling better though. Something must have righted itself.

My nephew is a plumber and has his gas certificate to install and repair boilers but he can't use it unless it's through his firm. However he's thinking of going self-employed, in which case his certification will apply direct, so if that day comes I'll get him to service the boiler.

Suzeanne let me know what you think of Boxt as I really want to move away from British Gas. I've never liked them since I had a battle with them in the 90's when they kept sending us gas bills and demands for payment yet we lived in a village that had no gas supply! I ended up sending them a 7ft fax that said "will you idiots get it into your head that we do not have a gas supply either at this address or in the village so it's impossible for us to owe you money for a service we don't get. Now stop fecking hassling us". That finally did it!

• Like 2

:laughingsmiley: at Yantan's fax. We have a local guy who installed and services our boiler. Would never use British Gas, they sound a total nightmare.

Fingers crossed Blackmagic that you continue to be able to stand straight with less problems.

Suzeanna that doctor sounds lovely, hope your nerve has stopped twanging now.

Bloomin' cold here today, but tide was right and the dogs had another run on the beach today. Richard wasn't too bad so managed to come with us today so got all the dogs out at the same time so that was easier for me. And Honey - she really doesn't like going out on her own. Some days she just flatly refuses to go. I've never had a dog not want to go for a walk before, really don't know what to do about her, she's a worry. I've tried taking her out with one of the boys but that doesn't work either. It's all of us or nothing, little madam!

Hope you get the cast off today, Jazz...will make it easier for you.

Eve, does Honey not walk well, or just not like going out? I wonder if one of those dog buggies would suit her, or do you walk in places that a buggy wouldn't be able to go?

Blackmagic, whereabouts exactly do you live? (don't worry, I'm not a stalker), it's just that a woman we met when she was going out with one of my husband's mates met someone else after they broke up, and they've moved up to somewhere near Wick. Bit of a change from Nottingham, where she used to live. I wondered if she was anywhere near you.

Suzeanna, Honey is only four and in perfect health. She just doesn't like it that we've had to change the routine due to Richard's disability. On days when we all go out together she zooms around like a loonie but, unfortunately, those days are few and far between. They all go out on a pack walk with a couple of dog walkers once a week and she's fine then and she plays mad games with Cooper and Nick in the garden. I guess it's just a mental thing that she'll hopefully get over eventually.

Fingers crossed you get the cast off Jazz

Good luck with the hospital , Jazz. You'll be getting your own seat in the waiting room soon.

Murphy is a creature of habit and can get concerned when the routine changes. 'You're not doing it right!'. If he changes the routine that is okay but not if we change it.

Suzeanna, we live in Strath Halladale. We are 17 miles west- 'out west' to the locals- from Thurso and 40 miles from Wick. We are surrounded by crofts. Our nearest village shop /PO is 7 miles away but if the letter is stamped the postie will take it when he delivers your mail.

There are a lot of English people move up here to get away from the rat race. Life is much slower pace up here. We are in Sutherland but only a few miles from the border to Caithness. Up here things are regulated by 'Caithness time'. I'll come on Tuesday- you have to ask what Tuesday as it may not mean next Tuesday.

A five day job is not done in a week- it is one day this week, two days next week, none the next week etc. That is once you get someone to come in the first place.

But the 'neighbours' - our nearest neighbour is 1/2 mile away- are very community spirited. Most have lived here all their life and generations before them so there are no secrets!

When Jim was out of action last year one immediately said 'I'll cut your grass' We have 1/2 acre of grass so no mean job. This elderly crofter cuts grass locally in the summer as a job but refused to allow us to pay him. Another offered to come and collect some of our logs and cut them up for the stove. Again, he has sawmill and cuts and sells logs but would not take payment.

When Jim had his op there were phone calls and visits, offers to get shopping.

You wouldn't get that in many places now.

We moved up here when we retired 11 years ago and love it. Five days visiting family in Edinburgh and we are ready to come home.

Dogs can be so funny at times. I guess Honey knows exactly what she wants and isn't going to settle for less!

We are back to mild, wet weather with grey overcast skies. Yak.

Naomi, the boss lady, is standing in for DW Holly this week who is trekking in Nepal. Archie was pleased to see his old friend and went off very happily for his Thursday bimble around the wood and a play in the field next to one of our lakes.

blackmagic we stayed in a static caravan on a very small site of 5 in Sutherland some years ago. I like remote but even I found it a bit too much. We kept expecting to meet a dinosaur at every turn. We got told off for hanging some towels on the washing line on the sabbath by the elderly lady who owned the site and vans. I remember one day holding our breath as we ran on vapour fumes trying to make it to a petrol station. So nice that your neighbours are so helpful and kind.

Had to smile at the idea of the lady telling you off for hanging out towels on the Sabbath! Have you read any books by Lilian Beckwith? She was on a Scottish island (ages since I read one, so can't remember which) and nothing at all was done on Sundays. My husband loves Scotland but I couldn't live there, I feel the cold too much and it's bad enough in Derbyshire.

Eve, I meant to say yes thanks, the nerve has stopped twanging but I'm quite sore where she took the two biopsies.