UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

July's Jottings

suzeanna

LOL at your dad Griff. Did he also have a knotted hanky on his head? That's a lovely photo of you. Your hair is like mine in the way it grows and gets "kinks" in it. I went short from long about 2 years ago and have to keep the length just right or it starts to look like a mare's nest.

I had a lovely visit from Evie and her family yestaerday. She is so caring of her little brother Tristen. She really adores him. She loved the little sun dress I got for her and insisted on wearing it right away. She was telling me she is desperate to have some clippy clops and was very disappointed when Father Christmas brought her everything else on her list but the clippy clops. I looked at her mother for translation because I had no idea what a clippy clop might be. She meant high heels! They are going to have much to put up with once she hits her teens.

it's Wimbledon fortnight so if I am not around much that's why.

Lol bless her...i can see why she calls them clip clops and i agree...henceforth high heels should now be known by that name Lol

I have managed to sort my hair Yantan...i am using some smoothing stuff every morning and today i have ironed with a lot of steam and no afro Lol...i aim to get my hair to just below my shoulders...if i have enough patience, to be honest i am surprised i have lasted this long Lol

enjoy wimbledon...do you have your strawberrys and cream to hand and your pimms of course Lol

griff, I reckon you are going to do a Stephen Hawking and defy them all, and probably outlive the rest of us.

Could your car have a thyroid problem? Sometimes overactive thyroid makes them whinge and act strange. Very common among cats.

We spent yesterday with our fellow trackers Isobel and Finlay the lab, chilling out in garden, picking raspberries etc. Also Isobel took me to Boundary Mills where I have never been before, and I bought 4 pairs of jeans as the last batch I bought back in 2000 have rather had it and are too loose anyway. No one can say I don't get my money's worth out of clothes.

Then Isobel started researching my family tree which proved more complicated than I expected, considering that one side has lived around Sleaford since forever, and the other side has been around Langford and Biggleswade since allegedly 930. The problem is that there are so many of them (average family size 10) and there is a limited selection of first names. Now that she has got the tree building started I will join Ancestry and see what else I can come up with.

That is the trouble I have with my dad's side of the family. The children were named in the old Scottish tradition of the first son being named after father's father and first daughter being named after Mother's mother. My sister has the same name as my mum and my grandmother had.

They also had large families so the sons all have the same names. To make matters worse they all lived beside each other in the same street and even block sometimes. They also seem to have swopped houses. I got really confused as to who was who and gave up to let my brain unscramble. one day I will have the courage to go back to it.

Jim went to theatre at 8.30 this morning to have his troublesome adrenal gland removed. It is a 6-7 hour operation with 7 people in the theatre so an anxious wait. Especially after the problems with his blood pressure crashing last time and him ending up in ICU.

They are not giving him a spinal this time - they give it for pain relief- as it may have contributed to the BP crash and will have adrenalin available in case it happens again.

There is bed booked in ICU in case it is needed and one in high dependency where he will go all being well.

That is just one of the many things that cause problems! They have to tell you everything nowadays in case you sue if something happens.

Hopefully when this is done he can stop feeling light headed, dizzy and having no strength or energy and get back to feeling normal.

Glad that Evie liked her dress. I hope she gets some sunny days to show it off.

Did your food go well?

Griff, you have a great attitude to your illness. I am sure that contributes to your well being and continues to do so for a long time to come.

I missed a whole page of this thread!

Bloody rain has put an end to my Wimbledon viewing. Grrrr.

I hope all goes well for Jim blackmagic. Sending positive thoughts :flowers: Err yes well the curry did go down well, sort of. Jonny was uumhing and aahing whilst he ate it and Cara asked for the recipe BUT not long afterwards she came over all funny and ended up being sick! Jonny was fine as was I. Cara said she hadn't been feeling brilliant all day and had not eaten since breakfast. They visited a vegan food festival before coming here and Jonny remarked that he thought it funny that Cara wasn't very interested in any of the food where normally she would have been wanting to buy this, that and the other. So I hope it was just one of those things and not my curry!

Oooh players back on court. Gotta go!

Black magic, best wishes to Jim...hope things go really well this time round

Lol...Yantan...couldn't be pregnant could she??

Just had the dogs out...scorchio, my white dog jumped in the pond so is muddy and covered in grass stains

Hope Jim's op went well, blackmagic. It must be a huge worry for you both.x

Griff, you've got the right attitude ...weeping and wailing about something won't make it miraculously go away, you only make yourself and those around you miserable! Some people are baffled as to why I don't seem more upset/worried about the cancer coming back as I've refused further treatment, I just point out that sadly I know plenty of people who have had it return despite having all the chemo etc, so they've gone through some very unpleasant "treatment" for nothing. Yes I might be cutting my life short, but at least I'm not spending months suffering. I remember the docs telling my mother that if she lived a very quiet life, she'd probably have six months longer. She gave them her best haughty look ( she could wither weeds at 100 yards, I swear!) and remarked that if she had to do that she might as well be dead, so she'd carry on with her gardening, thank you very much!

Anyway Griff, they say only the good die young and from what you say, you've not been angelic so you'll be here for yonks yet. :D

• Like 3

Thanks for the good wishes. The hospital phoned at teatime last time to say the operation had gone well and they were happy with eveything. Jim had arrived in ICU about 2.30 pm so the op was not as long as could have been which must be a good sign. There were no problems with his BP so far this time. He ws awake and able to speak to them. I was very relieved to get that phone call.

I will call later this morning for an update.

jIm was really desperate to get this dealt with and be able to get back to feeling normal. He was so worried the operation would be delayed or cancelled as happened the last time when there a was a theatre , aneasthetist, surgeon, nurses all ready but no beds available for after the op. Thankfully one was found and they were able to go ahead albeit three hours later than planned.

I like your attitude, Suzeanna.

JIm's results from his bowel tumour were that out of 17 lymph nodes 4 were suspect but no sign of any spread. The oncologist suggested chemo saying he has a 25% of it spreading within 5 years . Chemo would reduce that risk by 25%. But it may not recur without chemo and there is no guarantee it would not recur if he had chemo. It is an insurance policy.

Because of the problem with the adrenal gland it could not started until after it was dealt with but the optimum time for chemo starting is within three months of the operation. That was not going happen as the op on the gland was scheduled for three months after the bowel op to allow his body to recover from the first op.

However, Jim has decided he doesn't need it and has no desire to incur the same type of symptoms he has been having from the adrenal gland. He is fed up feeling dizzy, light headed and having no energy all the time since the beginning of March. he can't do very much without feeling exhausted and hasn't been able to drive since then.

So, the plan is a blood test and CT scan and followup with oncologist in September to check for any spread which would bring chemo back into the frame.

The was first diagnosed in December and it has been a hard year so far. I will not forget 2017 in a hurry.

We had rain first thing yesterday but then the sun came out but it was very windy, however this morning is sunny and no wind. It seems summer has returned for few days.

Everyones health is their own decision and i think we all know how much we can accept...don't get me wrong there will be a point where i say enough is enough and i have options then.

Blackmagic, pleased Jim's op went well, hope he feels a lot better soon and is back with you quickly

Sorry Alicia I don't use Morrisons so can't help.

blackmagic the update sounds much better. Positive thoughts still being thought for Jim for his recovery :flowers:

I have 2 little stories for you regarding illness and life expectancy. Here goes

My friend Dorothy got stomach cancer in her early 50's. She had her stomach removed but was not doing well and moved into a hospice, basically, to die. However the days passed and she didn't die and in fact started to recover. 30 plus years later and she's still with us. I won't say she's in great health, she's had years of bowel trouble caused by not having a stomach, just before she moved back down south in 2013 she found out she had a heart problem that could have killed her any time but after swift medical intervention she got over that. And then, to top it all off, she was diagnosed with skin cancer a few months ago and had to have part of her nose removed and get a reconstruction. Despite all this she remains cheerful, always positive and never moans about any of it. Griff you remind me so much of her. And that's a real compliment!

Now my next little tale. When my step-mother landed in hospital due to osteoporosis she was given a full body scan. They discovered multiple cancers in her body and when the consultant came to break the bad news to her she naturally asked how long she had left. He replied that it was his considered opinion that it would be between 6 weeks too possibly 3 months. She looked at him with "the stare" probably something similar to Suzeanna's mum's, and asked again "how long have I REALLY got?". He replied that realistically she was more than likely looking at just a few weeks.

However, he went on to tell her that in his 25 years of doing the job he had seen people with positive attitudes turn days into weeks, weeks into months and even sometimes months into years. Well my step-mum was always very matter of fact and didn't let obstacles get in her way so a little thing like cancer wasn't going to stop her. She told him that she expected to go be able to get home as soon as possible and was very much looking forward to sitting with her feet up in her chair with a martini to watch a big upcoming rugby match. We were told in private to encourage her towards that but it was very unlikely she would be well enough to ever leave the hospital and might not even be around when the rugby match was played.

Yeah right! She did it. She got home, she had that martini and she watched the match. In fact her positive attitude carried her on for a further 7 months during which time she had a whale of a time having friends over, even when she was in her sick bed, for lots of reminiscing on a life well lived with lots of accompanying laughing. She arranged her own funeral and dared one of my brothers to turn up in a surf shirt, shorts and flip-flops (he did!) She really wanted to have a mechanised arm fitted to the top of her coffin that would move as the song "wish me well as you wave me goodbye" played but we couldn't find one anywhere. However we all did wave as the song played and those in the know about her wish for her own waving arm got the giggles which had to be explained later to the rest of the, somewhat startled, people in the church.

So there you go. Stay positive folks. Griff you don't need telling I know!