UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Decembers Dishy Delights

Jazz

Safe journey Sam - I was surprised at the poverty. Even in Goa, it was quite evident. When we took the train down to Karnataka, it was a lot more obvious as it's not a tourist state. I had beggars stopping me to ask to drink some of my water or sprite - as it was a full bottle and I had no cash to buy more (I had found a shop that accepted cards, but I was walking back and was on a quiet road with small local shops) I had to say no.

I know you said you were unlikely to come back here but its safe to share drinks as locals would never drink direct from a shared bottle , they open their mouths and pour the drink in ! its quite a skill and all my team ( and Mark ) can do it , that's how everyone can drink from one bottle !!! I am rubbish at it and can only do it if some one else holds the bottle and pours it in...

My mother was in Sarengar. Do you know it, Sam?

Thats in Kashmir close to the Pakistain border I think , I have not been up that far North yet but I do want to visit that area. How long was your mum there for ?

Sorry Sam, a spelling error. It was Sarenga without r on on end, quite different and not that far from Kolkata. She meant to go for a year but the local situation became very unstable after Indira Gandhi was killed and the hospital authorities were concerned for mum as she had become very popular locally. There was strong anti-missionary feeling in the area, though medical missions like the Methodist one who sent her out were allowed. A European woman with a lot of people rushing to touch her feet and ask for blessings could not stay low profile. So she was put on a plane, which was fortunate as she turned out to have some horrid bacteria of the dysentery type so ended up in hospital as soon as she got home.

She felt that her work at Sarenga hospital was complete anyway. She had done the reorganistaion she had set out to do, and felt her role was now to fund raise and get freebies and cut price equipment and instruments from UK

manufacturers.

She did write things down but mainly she did lectures at WI and Townswomens Guild. She was a very popular speaker. She told my sister more than she told me, mainly because my mum and I did not get on very well so for a long time I kept away from my family as much as possible. She expected a daughter who was a mini version of her, and got me who am the complete opposite. So we had little understanding of each other, and found each other unpredictable. These things happen.

I'm glad someone else noticed how OTT The Express is over it's winter warnings. I don't read the paper but some of it's headlines come up on my newsfeed and they are obsessed with telling us how cold and snowy our winter is going to be and then - nowt happens! You'd certainly think they would have learnt by now Owl eh?

I did the water "challenge" (not that anyone actually challenged me to try! LOL) but cheated a little and had a squirty capped bottle so I did OK.

I'm meeting up with Evie and her mummy tomorrow so I can give the little one her presents. I send her a personalised video from the excellent PNP Santa site (one of the free ones) which Santa delivered to her mentioning her by name. Apparently she's never shut up about it and watches it several times a day and tells everyone she meets all about it. If anyone has any little ones (or big ones that act like little ones - like me!) and you haven't already tried PNP Santa go and give it a go.

https://www.portablenorthpole.com/en/