UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Decembers Dishy Delights

Jazz

I'm still here - had a mad few days at work etc. Not been settling down till late evening :rolleyes:

Heading to York tomorrow for the weekend, should be good fun :)

Booked my free jet2 flight today - going to Rome Monday-Friday in March. Am a bit gutted as I wanted to go in June and head to the Philippines in March to dive. I got annual leave authorised for both, then contacted jet2 to book. Turns out I have to use the jet2 flight before April :rolleyes: so I have about 16 days off in March and only 5 days booked away. Apparently though I drunkenly said I would take dad on holiday next year (I don't remember this conversation, but mum does - I think she has made it up :unsure: But now I can't go far for the second week of my March time off, I thought I could take dad to Cape Verde or the canaries for a week. I can dive for a couple of days, he can do a try dive and then we can veg by the pool. I've messaged my mum to see what she thinks.

Jayne you are too soft with your family girl! Ruby went on a work trip to Rome but in her down time some Italians from the firm she was visiting took her around the highlights and out to dinner in a couple of really good non-touristy restaurants. It remains her favourite place to this day and she's been around the world. So I hope you have a fab time there :flowers:

Alex you go girl! I love that you spoil yourself and the kids at Christmas.

It's grey and raining and horrible to match my mood. I am snottered up good and proper and coughing up yak. One minute I am shivering and the next I'm too hot.

Holly and Naomi are here today for Archie. Holly is still learning the ropes. She seems to really like Archie and he likes her very much. She was telling me yesterday that he just has something that makes him so endearing. Our first DW said the same thing as do a number of my friends, family and neighbours so I don't think it's just me and Ruby!

• Like 1

Hi all

Working India is very very very different to tourist India , very challenging and very confronting and I have seen sights of human and animal suffering that are emotionally draining. Has put my life back into perspective I can tell you

Leave here on Friday evening , back to Sri Lanka for one day and then onto the UK for a few weeks , am so looking forward to just spending time with my mum and family and being bloody grateful for my lot in life

Sam

Have safe trips Sam :flowers:

I got our big Christmas tree up yesterday but it looks like a dog's dinner. I cannot be bothered to even try and make it look better. I've put a little one up in the dining room and that's beyond crap. I've really demotivated myself so that's why I'm on here. Oh and Archie has been running around with the once lovely wreath for the door in his gob and now it's not so lovely. I never ever thought I'd hear myself say this but ......... bah humbug.

We've got an artificial tree, the ones you put the branches on separately. I had a little helper, Candy decided that was the absolute perfect thing to play with! Then when I got the tinsel out, she grabbed a piece and was happily shredding that! It may not look as if it belongs in Vogue, but we're happy with it and that's all that matters to me.

Sam, from the documentaries I've seen about India it seems very much a country of two halves, the rich are very rich and the poor are horrendously poor, if they were given the chance to live in what we term poverty in this country they'd think they'd landed in heaven. What baffles me is the amount that is spent in India on space programmes and the like, whilst a high proportion of the people are struggling on a day to day basis.

• Like 1

My mother went to do nursing in India, reorganising a rural hospital. On the way there she spent a few days in Kolkata. She had been warned that nothing can prepare you for the reality of that city, and she said that was certainly the case.

Have a good journey, Sam, and enjoy your time with your family.

Sam, from the documentaries I've seen about India it seems very much a country of two halves, the rich are very rich and the poor are horrendously poor, if they were given the chance to live in what we term poverty in this country they'd think they'd landed in heaven. What baffles me is the amount that is spent in India on space programmes and the like, whilst a high proportion of the people are struggling on a day to day basis.

It is very much like that, the first city I worked in was Ranchi in Jharkhand State and it's not a tourist location at all. The city still has a large amount of open defecation, and some of the slums we worked in vaccinating were hell holes and in Monsoon would literally be rivers of shite. How they have a space program is beyond me when children are living like that :(

My mother went to do nursing in India, reorganising a rural hospital. On the way there she spent a few days in Kolkata. She had been warned that nothing can prepare you for the reality of that city, and she said that was certainly the case.

Have a good journey, Sam, and enjoy your time with your family.

That by Indian standards was pretty close to Ranchi; I am sure your mother must have thought she had landed on a different planet!

I am currently in Goa which is India lite, in the tourist areas it's basically the Costa del Sol! Away from the tourist areas there still some pretty tough sights but compared to Ranchi its an utter paradise

We had a suspect Rabid cow to deal with yesterday, never a dull day eh!

Safe journey Sam - I was surprised at the poverty. Even in Goa, it was quite evident. When we took the train down to Karnataka, it was a lot more obvious as it's not a tourist state. I had beggars stopping me to ask to drink some of my water or sprite - as it was a full bottle and I had no cash to buy more (I had found a shop that accepted cards, but I was walking back and was on a quiet road with small local shops) I had to say no.

Been away in York this weekend with the girls I used to work with. Had a good time, until this morning when one of them piped up that there was only one train at 12.30, then the next one was at 4.30. Now that's a load of rubbish as I had checked and they were every half hour. I had arranged with the owner of the apartment that we stayed in for her to come back at 2pm and we'd leave then. I told her that the trains were every 30 minutes, but she was adamant :rolleyes: So they all buggered off at 12pm and left me on my own for 2 hours. I wouldn't have minded if she said she wanted to leave earlier, but to lie about it just made me really cross. The other girls were fuming when I told them (but all left with the liar anyway).