UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Novembers Notable News

suzeanna

The only thing I forgot when I went to Goa was my phone charger. I had a charger for my kindle, GoPro and I picked up my Apple Watch charger instead of my phone charger. Thankfully I realised at the airport, so I bought another one at Manchester airport :rolleyes: I didn't even take my Apple Watch :laugh:

So I managed to get some money today :biggrin: in the process I walked over 13km, burst into tears in front of a Canadian guy who gave me the last cash he had when I went to yet another bank that had no money, met an obnoxious horrid British woman who when I told her that I just want to buy an ice Cream and a nice cold bottle of water, she told me to deal with it and just cut back on the luxuries like you would at home if you were skint. It's not like I've ran out of money - I just can't get to it. Even if the banks had money, I'd only get access to 2000 rupees per day (about 19 quid) :angry: :mecry: This was before I met the nice Canadian man - he restored my faith in humanity. I found a bank that had cash, but you can't withdraw money over the counter without a cheque book. The ATMs were empty and not going to get any cash until late afternoon. On my way back, I remembered a conversation with a guy on the dive boat yesterday, who said he had changed money opposite his hotel and they had small notes (all the other changers were giving the old currency - some shops accept them, most don't). I found the changer, gave them £60 sterling and got about £50 worth of rupees back, but it was all small notes that I can spend. I don't think I'll come back to India in a hurry :rolleyes: Still planning on using my card to pay wherever I can, but at least I have some cash for bits and bobs now. I bought my bottle of water and a chocolate brownie magnum - am tempted to go and find that horrid woman tomorrow and eat a cornetto in front of her :laugh:

The situation with the money is devastating for the locals

The withdrawal of the 1000 and 500 notes was a total nightmare for the vast majority of the Indian population who don't have bank cards and would never have even seen a 2000rs note , I am working in Ranchi in nothern india currently and my team and I were eating breakfast for between 300 and 350 rupees a day and that was for 8 people !!!!

Goa has infrastructure for tourists where as Ranchi does not , we were here a week or so before we could get cash but the Charity I am working for here is supplying our food and water so it was okay

Ranchi is not an OD free city , OD stands for open defecation !!! so closed shoes are a must

We are in Copenhagen. Hotel wifi is very slow so haven't been able to check for updates here on the forum. Apologies if it looks like I'm ignoring you all! My screen is only showing me the board from where I left off yesterday.

We've had an amazing time in the Tivoli gardens tonight. It's like Christmas on steroids! And I love the Danish Glugg. Oh my, Christmas in liquid form!

• Like 1