UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

September's Salutary Sayings

Yantan

My brother and his family have a Cocker and he doesn't howl. I guess they just got lucky! Maybe Candy will not be so vocal once she is well and truly settled in. My neighbours dogs bark and howl every time she goes out. To a certain extent I can shut it out but when it goes on for hours it's hard to do. I just feel very sorry for them and as I have a key I go and pay them a visit.

So sorry that the news about Ashley isn't great Loobie :GroupHug:

Well I found an ancestor with a wonderful name yesterday - Sharpless Cartmell. He was given his mother's maiden name as his first name which, following traditional naming patterns of the time, was very common.

I'm still very frustrated that I can't trace any direct family history. I know my parents married in Holy Trinity Church in Hull, I know the road she lived on as a girl, but try as I may I can't find any record of either of their names! Very odd. Two of her brothers come up in the Merchant Navy records as they both died in the war, but not her name.

I'm hoping Candy will settle given more time, failing that we'll put the hamster cage on the floor then they can have little chats! It's securely tied round with a strap so she can't bash at it and get the top part off and she didn't have the same "lunch!" look in her eyes when she saw him as Rosie used to have, but I don't want to give the poor little fella a heart attack.

That is a bit weird about you parents, are you sure the name you have is her actual name? the reason i ask is a friends cousin has just died, she used a name she chose herself and it has caused no end of bother...including the coroner refusing to release the body, she had even managed to get a bank account in the name she chose as she knew a member of the bank staff

Yantan.... i like that name Lol our family thing was apparently the boys (on my dads side) were supposed to have the middle name carmen or something Lol...my dads dad wanted to call our andrew that, my mum rfused point blank, he was named after my dad and my mums dad instead, he has been looking up the family online and he has found loads of people with the same middle name and surname as my dads dad wanted so it is obviously a big tradition....luckily we ditched it Lol

My uncle Terry is actually John Terrence...grandad was John so hence the middle name being used.... dads dad was always called Andy but his real name was Noel, dad is Andrew but is always Andy and Andrew is now called Andy by his mates...i get so confused when my aunty asks about Andrew and in fact means my dad!! The women in our family are so much more simple, my mum is Moira, named in gaelic after my nan Mary but thankfully she wasn't that mean to me Lol...she picked my name at the age of 11 and my dad just had to go along with it Lol

I'm still very frustrated that I can't trace any direct family history. I know my parents married in Holy Trinity Church in Hull, I know the road she lived on as a girl, but try as I may I can't find any record of either of their names! Very odd. Two of her brothers come up in the Merchant Navy records as they both died in the war, but not her name.

I'm hoping Candy will settle given more time, failing that we'll put the hamster cage on the floor then they can have little chats! It's securely tied round with a strap so she can't bash at it and get the top part off and she didn't have the same "lunch!" look in her eyes when she saw him as Rosie used to have, but I don't want to give the poor little fella a heart attack.

Can you trace the brothers' birth registrations? That might give you some other information to follow up.

Where were you looking if you don't mind me asking? If you were doing online research at one of the genealogy sites did you try wildcarding their surname - that is just entering the first 3 letters? Also did you try misspelling it. A lot of the records, and in particular the census records, were transcribed by people who may have had no connection the area they were transcribing so they don't recognise place names or local names when they read the census taker's handwriting and get it quite wrong. The 1901 census for England and Wales was actually transcribed by prisoners and the mistakes I found in that pertaining to my own family are astounding! For instance Troutbeck on one entry has been transcribed as Tent Bick!

Have you tried searching the Rootsweb message boards and county email lists for any mention of your peeps? You sometimes find someone else is researching the same family. Also you will have access to many helpful amateur genealogists (and sometimes professional ones) who are often more than willing to help solve a mystery.

Even putting the info you have, like a name and location, into a Google search can throw up some interesting stuff if you are very lucky.

If you want me to have a bash for you I would be more than happy but I don't have a subscription to Ancestry.co.uk or Findmypast at the moment so I can't promise I would turn anything up. I'd gladly do the trawl on Rootsweb for you though.