UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Augusts Any Activities

Jazz

The year certainly is galloping by! I've got medical stuff this week, blood pressure thing at the surgery on Wednesday then my MRI scan on Thursday at the hospital. It's my son's birthday on Thursday too, won't be seeing him but leg and dog permitting we'll go down there at the end of August.

Just heard some very sad news. There's an older chap two streets away who has two black whippet bitches, litter sisters about 3 years old. His son was walking them a few days ago in the fields when they took off after a rabbit. They were hoping that they'd find their way home, but I just saw his son and the dogs have been found on the railway line. Both dead. He's absolutely devastated. :(

Why would you let dogs like that off lead in the first place? Yes its awful it happened but it happened through stupidity and I cannot stand that. The house 3 doors down came knocking a few months ago to see if I had seen their spaniel, as it got out when they opened the front door to someone - it makes my blood boil how this kind of behaviour can result in the ending of a dogs life in this way and I ended up having a right old go at them for it.

I only let cliffy off lead in certain places as I know I can outrun him if he did bolt for some reason.

Where they were free was in an area where there are about four big fields Nigel, lots of people let their dogs run there. They must have put up a rabbit or a hare and just gone for it. Sadly beyond the fields is the railway. Funny enough, you say about not letting your dogs offlead but a lot of rescues, in their description of the dogs available, say must have an hour off lead exercise daily. I can't let Rosie off at all, she's deaf and wouldn't hear commands to come back but we did let Dylan off in the fields behind us. The whippets were usually very obedient girls, it is such a pity that their adventure ended so badly. One dog that does make me shudder is a collie who lives up the road, the owners never have him on a lead and that's by busy roads with frequent buses. They say he's super obedient but it only needs one time ...

Edited by suzeanna
  • Like 1

It seems to be the standard thing here to walk your dogs beside busy roads without a lead. I see so many people doing it every day. If challenged the owners reply that their dogs are well trained and they trust them not to run off. I just roll my eyes because of course anything can happen that could make a dog bolt. As far as I am aware it's against the law not to have your dog/s on a lead within a built up area/town. If not on a lead they can't be under your control.

There is a police appeal in my local paper to find the owner of a dog who was walking it off lead through the middle of town when it bit a man. I would have liked to have seen a statement from the police about this practice of walking dogs off-lead because if something isn't policed people just carry on doing it.

When it comes to large open areas where dogs are allowed to be off-lead I am all for it. Dogs need to run and have some freedom but they need to be in a safe area to do so.

• Like 2

It is the Road Traffic Act 1988

(1)A person who causes or permits a dog to be on a designated road without the dog being held on a lead is guilty of an offence.
(2)In this section “designated road” means a length of road specified by an order in that behalf of the local authority in whose area the length of road is situated.
Nit every road in a designated road. There used to be notices on lampposts quoting bylaws about keeping dogs on lead.
The police will only take action if a dog is loose on the road and likely to cause an accident.
I used to tell my training class that if their dog would walk nicely beside them on the pavement it was no hardship to have a lead on it. But that lead may save its life one day if it got a fright and bolted into the road or saw something to chase.
Many dogs have done things that they have never done before. Usually with unfortunate results.
  • Like 1

We have always let ours off the lead in an open field. They need time to sniff and run around and be dogs. Whenever we are anywhere near cars though, they have always gone back on the lead.

Paid for my next holiday last night - 14 weeks to go :)

Had a good training session with my weightlifting club last night. Feel like I'm starting to make real progress now - last night I managed to get some 'float' on the bar. Because the bar was so light, I nearly smacked myself in the face with it :laugh: this is good news and means I'm making progress :biggrin:

Murtle, my old friend had a cat who loooooved the rain, she used to be out in it all night and then come back and settle next to her mum in bed...soaking her Lol

Gooster...well done you! who would have thought a smack in the face could be progress Lol!! where we going on holiday then?

My mum asked if Steve had called here yesterday...she must have checked the call log on the phone, i said nope, i had called him....we are just friends, we have been messaging most days, he started that after he called me, i would rather have him in my life as a friend than lose him all together

• Like 1

I was at a junction this morning just telling Archie to heel and wait whilst I checked for traffic - even when I know there isn't any I have him wait anyway. At the other side having just come out of a side road was a couple. He was speaking softly as I thought to the woman. I thought he was teasing her by treating her like a baby when all of a sudden a pointer dog dashed from the side street and made it part way out onto the road. The chap had been talking to the dog but a fat lot of notice it took. He called the dog back and it did return but what if a car had been coming at that point? He didn't ask the dog to sit and/or wait. He carried on walking across the road attempting to control the dog with his voice but he wasn't as the dog wanted to come and see Archie and dash across at one and the same time. There were Archie and I doing a heel and wait with him firmly attached to his lead and me holding it short, checking for traffic and I got a look of the man as much as to say "look at how well my dog is trained I don't need to have him on a lead." Idiot! I'll put money on it that he doesn't pick up after his dog either.

no offence to men...especially Nigel but Yantan, that is a typical male attitude...i don't know why they seem to find holding a lead a difficulty. There are several here who won't use a lead and the dog wonders into the road etc...i mean it isn't exactly hard work to hold a lead is it? my dad used to do it with Diesel...i did my nut at him and asked what woul he rather... a dead dog or hold a piece of chain, he said she was always well behaved for him and i said that most dogs are until they see something across the road that is interesting and they have to get to it. The woman who attacked me, she had a dog, it got run over and she blamed the car driver...how she could blame him i do not know, if she had had the dog on the lead it would have pulled to get to the cat across the road but be unable to actually step into the road....because she beleived that she was in control there was no lead to save the dog....best thign was when she tried to blame my cat, the fact her dog got killed 4 years before i even ended up with Dex fell on deaf ears Lol