UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

February's Flippin' Faffing

merledogs

Yantan, the cyclists are one reason I wear hi vis when walking Wispa. Some are fine but others go belting past a dog on lead from behind, never thinking the dog and owner will be alarmed. I have even had a runner tell me to get off the path! What happened to bells, and "excuse me please"? I am always happy to let cyclists and runners through, but they seem to get into some adrenaline-fuelled altered mind state where no one else exists.

One cyclist even told a friend that she and her dog shouldn't be on our local multi user path!

By contrast, I find horse riders mostly considerate.

• Like 1

I stopped walking the dogs on our local shore path when they upgraded it and made it part of a long distance footpath with access for cycles.

I loved walking it before it was official. You very rarely met anybody.

The last time I walked I spent the whole walk looking over my shoulder for cyclists and telling the dogs to lie down.to let them past. And, yes, no 'excuse me' or using a bell.

It was no pleasure.

Strangely, the only ones who thanked me when they passed was three young teenagers. The older cyclist just rushed past without acknowledging us.

Been back to the vet (again) with Timmy. The scan was re-done, as were the blood tests. I'm waiting for her to call me with the results of the test, but there was no change on his spleen. She said she can see brighter patches on the scan, but they don't look like what she'd expect a malignant nasty to look like. So still no news and still waiting to decide whether to take his spleen out :rolleyes: On the plus side, I had a letter from MoreThan saying they'd sent a cheque to the vet for £1450, so am relieved. You never know when you make the first claim with a company whether they are going to pay up or not.

• Like 1

I wish there'd been more conclusive news on Timmy so you would know for sure Alex.

Well I am glad I am not alone in my feelings towards cyclists - although they have very successfully antagonised most of the tow against them but I thought it might just be something that happened here.

A few years ago the powers-that-be spent in excess of £260,000 on adding a cycle path around a local roundabout (yes you read that right £260,000 plus!) that comprised part of one of these cycle routes that go for miles. It was meant to create a safe path for cyclists to get around this busy roundabout and also to stop motorists being held up by the cyclists who would meander round the roundabout, often in groups, meaning cars had to follow them and couldn't get past. There were many near misses as a vehicle would go to take one of the exits only to have either a lone cyclist or a group off them swerve in front of them to take the same exit with no signals from the rider(s.)

So do the buggers use this cycle path? Hardly ever from what I have seen. It's close to one of our walks and I park on a road just off this roundabout and use part of the cycle path (which is very wide) to walk to the start of our walk. There are big signs up pointing to the cycle path and markings on the road indicating the access points but honestly hardly any cyclists take notice and just continue on the main road around the roundabout. I've shouted at some before now telling them that the path has been put in at great expense for their use and it's there to keep them safe from vehicles. Most ignored me but some told me to eff off and mind my own business.

It's just been an utter waste of money. It would have filled a few of the many pot holes that need attention.

I hope you get results soon xx

the wheelchair is here. its the wrong one, its the self propelled one, which I prefer in case I can do it myself. the thing ive found, is if I do end up in it indoors, I wont be able to get in the bathroom at all. bugger

Moaning :tired: Didn't sleep well Sunday night and was awake stupid o'clock yesterday morning ("stupid o'clock" for me is saying something since I consider getting up at 4am normal). Last night I fell asleep on the sofa at 7.30, woke up at 8.45, went to bed, was asleep again by 9.30 and woke up at 3.45.

Dont talk to me about waste of money cycle routes! We've just endured months and months of the road chaos and massive tailbacks caused by them "extending" a cycle path that I have NEVER EVER seen a single cyclist use in the 3 years the original one has been in place. Not only that but they have cut back mature hedge rows and trees to widen the footpath to turn it into this cycle way - no one can understand who its been put if for or why. Even the local cyclist have been writing to the local paper to say they won't use it and why! There are too many hidden driveways across it which cyclists say are very dangerous plus although they cut back the hedges and trees the entire pathway is still lined with them and gets covered in a thick carpet of slippery leaves. Everyone is up in arms about how pointless it is especially as it eventually dead ends and the cyclists just end up back on the road! Moreover to even get onto the cycle path the only way is either ride along the pavement on the opposite side of the road until you get to a set of traffic lights where you can cross the road safely (which is illegal) or cycle along the flipping rd just to get off it for a couple of miles before having to get back on it again *shakes head*.

Forgot it was pancake day! We went tracking in a muddy, slippery, steep but beautiful village between Halifax and Hedben Bridge. Makes me glad to be a flatlander.

We are both wiped out. I fancy a takeaway but just have the energy to throw some pasta parcels into a saucepan. Can't face getting back into car, having just gone through Halifax and home down M1 in rush hour.

I am griff...i fear I may have gone bonkers...just ordered the dogs another 3 coats each!!! Have given some to the pound dogs though...who needs haircuts and smart eyebrows???lol

Merledogs, hope you get a decent nights sleep

Owl...treat yourself to a takeaway another night...you have earnt it!!!

Ahhhh Cyclists, the trend here is to be dressed in black with no lights!!! Brilliant idea that

Edited by griff

I would like to join Alex's wide awake at stupid oclock club!!! It was about 5am yesterday and today it was 4am....did the screwing my eyes up and wrapping the quilt round me tighter but no good. Thank goodness for satellite tv....always some rubbish to watch, even at this time!