UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Security Alert

BrackenMc

I saw Coke and Popcorn mentioned on here and thought I would have a look. I had no sooner clicked on it than a security alert came on the screen (spoken) with a phone number to contact in case this has caused a virus on my computer. I have started a scan and don't know whether to phone the number given. Help please. It's an 020 number and don't know where that is or if it is a premium rate call.

Edited by BrackenMc

As you have discovered it's a scam. I've not had it pop up at C&P before in the 2 years I've been using the site but it has appeared at other sites I've been on, usually when I've been using Stumble. It is alarming if you haven't had any experience of it or prior knowledge that this stuff happens. As long as your own antivirus is kept up-to-date it should pick up anything untoward. I hope you are breathing easier now!

For future reference, 020 is just a UK number, it is usually the 4th digit that will give you a location, for instance London is 0207 &0208 , 0203 numbers get used by scammers quite a bit as it is a virtual 0203 number to give the impression of being in the UK. Pretty damn annoying that people do this, at least you had the sense to Google the number!