UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Julys Jesting Jollies

Jazz

Maybe we should be renamed 'the wonky forum'.

We have booked a week in Canada in September . We had a tour of the rockies - 2 planes, 2 trains, 2 automobiles and 2 ferries- in 2004 and have always wanted to go back and spend time in Vancover as we only had an overnight there last time.

So we are heading there for a week this time.

We have spent two days searching for hotels and flights are totally bemused. There are too many options. Decisions, decisions.

Every time we searched we got different results. Eventually we just had to make a decision.

Something Rotten http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-SOMETHING-ROTTEN-Opens-on-Broadway-Updating-LIVE-20150422

My mum was from Vancouver and although I have been to Canada I've not been there so am very envious Suzeanna. Enjoy!

I am a bit of a musical theatre buff so I already knew about Rotten. It stars two of my fav theatre chaps, Christian Borle (who won one of this year's Tony's for his performance in Rotten) and Brian D'Arcy James. I just hope neither of them are out when we see it. Fingers crossed! My American pal is treating us to a fancy pre-theatre dinner and we are going to The Algonquin for cocktails beforehand.

• Like 1

Maybe we should be renamed 'the wonky forum'.

We have booked a week in Canada in September . We had a tour of the rockies - 2 planes, 2 trains, 2 automobiles and 2 ferries- in 2004 and have always wanted to go back and spend time in Vancover as we only had an overnight there last time.

So we are heading there for a week this time.

We have spent two days searching for hotels and flights are totally bemused. There are too many options. Decisions, decisions.

Every time we searched we got different results. Eventually we just had to make a decision.

Something Rotten http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-SOMETHING-ROTTEN-Opens-on-Broadway-Updating-LIVE-20150422

We stayed in Vancouver for 10 days the last week of Sept to 1st week of October when we went a few years ago. The hotel we stayed at was The Riviera on Robson we had a 1 bedroom Harbour View Suite with balcony - it was the perfect location and whilst not a modern 4* hotel it was clean, comfy, safe, and the suite was a fantastic size with a separate kitchen, bathroom & bedroom, more like an apartment than a hotel room. It only has 1 lift and 2 people in it means its full lol but we loved it there. Pricewise the longer you stay the cheaper it gets, for the same period this year I just got a quote from their website of £84 a night thats booking with them direct (which we did). Everywhere is pretty much in walking distance from the hotel, but taxis were cheap as chips in Vancouver when we went. Robson stays open very late into the evening which was great as we could pop out for a meal and a wander round the shops in the evening pretty much every night, being at the end of Robson we didn't find it at all noisy at night though we were quite high up - I dont think the "harbour view" is quite as good as when we stayed there as theres been a lot of building between the hotel and the river since we were there, but you can still just about see the harbour through the gaps lol A few doors up from the hotel is the very very best chinese restaurant I have ever eaten at in my life - I STILL drool over the thought of their bbq pork its where the local Chinese eat so its not a touristy place, plastic tablecloths, mismatched tables and chairs, rice came in a washing up bowl LOL but it was full every single time we went there with Chinese families enjoying their meals. A little further up is a dairy queen that did fantastic icecream milkshakes for dessert. We consider Vancouver one of the very best places for a holiday we have ever been and would love to go back again. We have friends who live there so if you want any "local" knowledge let me know.

Oo can I join the wonky club :)

I really hope Griff is ok :flowers:

I decided yesterday that maybe I should put Ashley on senior dog food, does anyone use the senior dog food and if so what one do you use. Ash is about 12kgs in weight. Thank you.

Jane I hope you are having a good time and I am sooo jealous !!!

Soory Loobie I have no experience of senior dog food. George had home-made and Archie eats Wagg Premium (he won't touch anything else) and occasional treats of wet meat from Lily's Kitchen or Burns. He was 12 in May and is in great condition.

I was bending down putting Archie's harness on this morning so the DW could take him out and I somehow caught my toe on the raised thresh-hold of our front door and nearly took a tumble. The DW was impressed at how I managed to keep upright but couldn't stop snorting & giggling over it which started me off.

We stayed in Vancouver for 10 days the last week of Sept to 1st week of October when we went a few years ago. The hotel we stayed at was The Riviera on Robson we had a 1 bedroom Harbour View Suite with balcony - it was the perfect location and whilst not a modern 4* hotel it was clean, comfy, safe, and the suite was a fantastic size with a separate kitchen, bathroom & bedroom, more like an apartment than a hotel room. It only has 1 lift and 2 people in it means its full lol but we loved it there. Pricewise the longer you stay the cheaper it gets, for the same period this year I just got a quote from their website of £84 a night thats booking with them direct (which we did). Everywhere is pretty much in walking distance from the hotel, but taxis were cheap as chips in Vancouver when we went. Robson stays open very late into the evening which was great as we could pop out for a meal and a wander round the shops in the evening pretty much every night, being at the end of Robson we didn't find it at all noisy at night though we were quite high up - I dont think the "harbour view" is quite as good as when we stayed there as theres been a lot of building between the hotel and the river since we were there, but you can still just about see the harbour through the gaps lol A few doors up from the hotel is the very very best chinese restaurant I have ever eaten at in my life - I STILL drool over the thought of their bbq pork its where the local Chinese eat so its not a touristy place, plastic tablecloths, mismatched tables and chairs, rice came in a washing up bowl LOL but it was full every single time we went there with Chinese families enjoying their meals. A little further up is a dairy queen that did fantastic icecream milkshakes for dessert. We consider Vancouver one of the very best places for a holiday we have ever been and would love to go back again. We have friends who live there so if you want any "local" knowledge let me know.

Suites instead of rooms are quite common.

We are staying at Rosedale on Robson.

Last time there we were upgraded as it had been the staff party the night before and the room we should have had wasn't cleaned.

The hotel had a super restaurant with an outside eating area. It was packed which is always a good sign.

Unfortuntely, the restaurant has been gettting renovated and I don't know if it will be open when we go. It was supposed to be open in April but reviews for June said it was still not open.

I will look for that chinese , thank you. We don't have the luxury of such things here and always order a chinese takeaway when we visit my son in Edinburgh.

We aboslutely loved our last holiday in Canada. Mind you, constant sunshine every day for 16 days helped a lot. The people were all so friendly.

We spent a couple of days in Calgary and , on the first day, had stopped in the shopping mall to look at a map. Immediately a woman came forward and offered us help.

It was very much a holiday of a lifetime. I had inherted a large sum from an aunt and, as it was money I had never had and would probabaly never have again, , I decided to enjoy it. It was a choice between London, Australia or Canada and we settled on Canada.

Unfortunately, we have to spend our own pennies this time but we have not had a good holiday away since then so I am looking forward to it.

I have not used senior dog food either.

In my early years of dog owning there were no such things as puupy, junior or senior foods. It was just dog food.

The only one I changed in old age was Shera, a golden retriever who put on weight very easily. As her ration of dried food amounted to half cupful that was swallowed in two gulps I changed ger to tinned Chappie which was ideal for her- low fat and bulky.

My last four have been fed raw so no change form puppyhood to senior years.

I am concerned that we still have not heard from Griff.

Wow you lot have been busy in the 50 ish hours since I last had wifi :laugh:

Am at my final stop now for the holiday - having a great time and I finally get to meet Sam and Mark on Friday :biggrin:

Am staying in a gorgeous villa - total contrast to the treehouse of the last couple of nights :) I have wifi and aircon (first place to have air con across my whole holiday :) )

• Like 1