UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Jolly Jawings

merledogs

Black magic ,glad your back on line we used to get a lot of power cuts here when it rained ( up to 4 days ) when we lived in the more rural area and its amazing how much you take electricity for granted till you don't have it ! even now we get planned cuts for 8-10 hours about twice a month but they are normally in the day time

I have gas hobs and a old whistling kettle so if all else falls I can make a cuppa tea :) I no longer did milk so I have become addicted to Ceylon Silver tips tea which looks odd but tastes amazing

I am working today at our new office unpacking and sorting , the furniture was meant to arrive yesterday but new president or not some things never change and Sri Lankans are always late so it has not arrived yet !!!

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

ive just picked up a kettle off the freebies site. the lady has died, she lived in a sheltered flat. I got chatting to the neighbours and saw a table of stuff for sale. they get it donated, they sell it cheap and go on days out etc. so ive bought £3.50 worth of stuff for my friends fundraiser, they were over the moon, the most someone has spent.bless. the lady even took it to my car in her trolley. they welcomed me back any time awwww

Thanks everybody.

Our central heating wouldn't come on yesterday but this morning OH has discovered the pilot jet was blocked - maybe a speck od dirt got dislodged by the gales buffeting the walls- and managed to find a tiny needle to clear it. So we now have central heating again. No more cold bathroom.

Strangely, the old rickety looking barns on the crofts are all still standing undamaged.

Great thanks must go to the engineers out working in these extreme conditions. So bad that at one point they were recalled as it was too dangerous.

I live in the far north of Scotland 5 miles from the Pentland Firth. Next stop is Orkney.

We had a slight covering of snow overnight but it is dry so far and the wind has died down here but is 60-80 mph 100 miles south of us.. More gales are forecast for tomorrow.

It is several years since we have had January gales. We have become soft.

I've been in your part of the world blackmagic. I remember being told not to wait until the petrol tank was low to fill up but to keep it tanked up instead. It was good advice! Oh and the same thing exactly happened with our central heating when we moved into our last house. It had been empty for almost a year and felt cold and damp (although it didn't have any damp issues) We needed the heat on badly and fortunately we had a "do-it-all" workman in doing a few jobs for us and he found and rectified the problem. I agree I think the engineers and other repair persons who turn out in such trying conditions to restore power deserve a big pat on the back.

I have finished my packing job :)

Many thanks to Snow for pointing me in the directions of the Yours people. I have made several good purchases in their sale and am well pleased with the quality of all I have received. I was needing some clothes that fitted after having lost 5 stone. I was fed up going about in clothes that were at least 4 sizes too big for me.

• Like 2

Moaning :tired:

I have gas hobs and a old whistling kettle so if all else falls I can make a cuppa tea :)

How typically British, as long as we have a cuppa everything's okay :) I do love my tea.

It sounds like everyone including the army wanted a more peaceful future, so pleased the old president's gone :flowers:

Sorry to hear about Catherine - she saved my Taffy and Beau and I'm sure the dogs of Warrington will be much poorer without her.

Well done on finishing your job Marion :flowers:

Glad everyone's okay blackmagic - shows the old structures were properly built if they're still standing.

I spent some time yesterday playing with the new mobile phone. The technology is marvellous - it's more like a mini tablet than a phone. You can even turn it into a tv remote! I spent lots of time playing with Google Now which is a relevation - saves lots of time and is a really useful feature, so I'm going to be using it muchly I think.

Edited by merledogs

What a disturbed night sleep! Ben brought me a cup of tea which I graceful accepted with the question wtf?! It's 5.30 and I want to be asleep...

Oops! The cats had me up at 1am, 1.30am and 2am so I really did just want to be asleep....

Glad you got some nice items Jazz.

Well done Marion on finishing packing.

Hope you Stay safe black magic (and warm!)

Happy new phone playing Alex xxx

Although I would like to take the credit I only lost some of the weight from dieting. The rest just dropped off due to the big C. Had a kidney removed and appear to be fine for now, so need clothes that fit and are not hanging off me. Have bagged up lots and given it to the charity shops but some I plan to try and sell on Ebay and donate any money I might make to some of the dog charities.