UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Jolly Jawings

merledogs

Thanks everyone , I think we will be safe if there is trouble ( which I don't expect locally as I live in a sleepy little fishing village ) our villagers are very protective of us and we live next door to a hotel with lots of staff who are equally very protective of the "oyalage sudu's" ( their white people )

I think Colombo will be more tense , we live 10 km north of the city and I am avoiding going there for a few days !

A number of news sites that are not 100 % supportive of the existing government are suddenly not visible from here , I am using a UK VPN just so I can read the news !

This link ( which I have to use a VPN to view as its blocked here ) covers the story I mentioned about the severed dogs heads there are no photos of the dogs but it gives a very good back story to whats going on here !

I was 2nd on the bungalow, 1st person took it

eyes down tomorrow for the first bidding of the year!

Thats very positive then , hopefully you will be number 1 next time and get to move :)

Have ordered a cool dress for work as well, it has glasses on it :laugh:

I think we need a photo :)

Moaning :tired:

Is it Friday yet?

Its Thursday here if that helps ?

Morning.

Alex don't have any caffeine and push your thumb up into the inner corner of each eye as it may help the headache. Also pinching along the eyebrows may too and pressing up your forehead with the tip of a finger from the bridge of your nose to the hairline.

• Like 1

Alex do you drink a lot of water ? I have been increasing my intake recently and I think a lot of the times I had headaches I was dehydrated

sorry to keep boring the pants of you all re voting here but I can't really post on Facebook as I have friends in Sri Lanka with multiple views plus Mark is friends on Facebook with the man at the MOD !

Mark and I took a staff member down to the polling station today and did not really think through what our presence there would mean, the armed police man on the gate said I could not come in ( understandable but I just wanted the shade on his side of the wall ) he was very nice about it but had to report 2 westerners at the polling station and 5 minutes later a van load of more armed soldiers had arrived to check on us. Mark had wandered off to get some water and the soldiers were all very nice as they recognised me and many of the people in the queue came over to see me as they had dogs sterilised by us recently. A few people who did not know me thought I was a UN observer so rushed over to shake my hand !

The entire village was there and they were all smiling , and EVERYONE is voting from teenage boys just eligible to 90 year olds , once you vote they mark your little finger with a dye that takes a few days to wash off to stop multiple voting. The polls close at 4pm and the boxes are taken by the army to the counting stations where hopefully they will be fairly counted.

People are beginning to believe that the president can be voted out , there is talk that his family will leave the Island overnight if the vote is not going his way . I don't know if I can quite believe it yet and I don't even know what a change in government would mean but the challenger said he would abolish the Elective Presidency and allow the country to be run by the Prime Minster and Parliament again ( it is not currently )

I don't know what will happen but to see the scores of people flooding to the polling office today made me very pleased to see people standing up for change and I hope the votes are counted fairly and peacefully

It also made me very sad to think how little respect we in the west really have for the right to vote

It's our DW's last week. Naomi, the new DW, is accompanying her this week in readiness for taking over. Archie greeted Naomi like a long lost friend so I am pleased he so obviously likes her. He doesn't take to everyone. I don't think there will be any problem when she turns up for him on her own next week..

I hope any change is for the benefit of the people in Sri Lanka Sam and a fair result is delivered. It is very easy to forget just how easy with have things here.

My work is calling to me. I really ought to go and get on with it and try and get ahead if possible.

Sam, I agree wth ou about voting but I think we have a struggle here now to know who to vote for between one lot of liars and another lot of liars none of who actually promise much you want let alone deliver on their promise 😡 I always vote but we end up with the same idiot who doesn't support anything I agree with!

Well done Jazz 😄

I am awake and definitely want to be asleep!!

The unbelievable has happened and the current president has accepted defeated promising a smooth handover of power and the new one will be sworn in tomorrow

The new guy might be as bad but at least the election was fair and that's a huge huge step forward

I just hope there is no civil unrest , it was close which means millions of people did still want the former president

intresting times ahead

• Like 1