UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Jolly Jawings

merledogs

Nice morning so far Alex :flowers: You've just reminded me of when I worked in a bakers shop with the bakery behind. We used to set up the shop before it opened and then took a break to have lovely breakfasts with newly baked goods - lush!

I followed the events in Paris most of yesterday so didn't manage to do as much work as I had hoped. I am sitting here now instead of re-filling my rack and getting on with packing. My work ethic seems to have been put away with the Christmas decs.

How are things going in Sri Lanka Sam? Is the change over progressing peacefully?

Catherine, Rescue Woman, passed away earlier today. A strong, feisty courageous woman. She will be greatly missed.

Oh goodness me Mommy Bear! Thanks for letting us know. I knew she was ill and had been for a long time but it's still a shock.

Thinking of her friends, family and her fur family who will miss her greatly I am sure :GroupHug:

• Like 1

I saw the news this morning and was optimistically excited for you Sam. Hope things stay calm and the new guy is better.

It is still quite windy here Yantan.

Feel like I have been run over by a tractor. I don't know why I get so tired being at home in this flat...very odd. However, I found some vouchers from my birthday last year so have treated us o a new kitchen bin! Our last one has lasted nearly 12 years so a change will be nice!!

Do you have a gas boiler? Sorry to be alarmist but because you said you feel that way in the flat,I'm thinking carbon monoxide. Worth checking. (I lost my DIL to this insidious gas).

Catherine, Rescue Woman, passed away earlier today. A strong, feisty courageous woman. She will be greatly missed.

Catherine pulled Noah from Warrington pound many years ago and I had the pleasure of meeting her years later with Noah ( who was giddy with excitement )

A very brave lady indeed and one whose passing I suspect will leave a huge gap in many lives

• Like 1

How are things going in Sri Lanka Sam? Is the change over progressing peacefully?

Yes but we found out more today about how close we came to chaos , the previous president tried to get the election nulled over night when the results started going against him and the Atorney General refused to allow him to suddenly declare a state of emergency ! , he then tried to get the Military to back him and basically stage a military coup and they also refused

To be honest most of us here did not think the AG and Military would refuse him and we that we would be plunged into military rule and curfews ( hence my squirrelly hoarding ) , so its really remarkable how peaceful its been and I just hope it remains that way ,

you can't imagine David Cameron ( love him or hate him ) trying to invoke military rule if the next election is not going his way can you ?

Do you have a gas boiler? Sorry to be alarmist but because you said you feel that way in the flat,I'm thinking carbon monoxide. Worth checking. (I lost my DIL to this insidious gas).

OMG I am so sorry to hear that ,what a dreadful thing to have happened :(

• Like 1

We lost our leckie at 1 am on Friday morning and only got it back at 3pm today. There are still thousands without power inclding some in the next village to us.

Fortunately, we have a gas hob- but electric oven- and a wood burning stove so we were not too bad. i had to relearn how to cook things on the hob , rather than in the oven, under the grill, in the slow cooker or microwave.

Boiling pans of water was a pain.

No tv or radio etc. We listened to the radio on the car radio when going shopping. It doesn't get reception at the house though.

We lived by candle light.

The gales brought down at least 20 large conifers in the back garden, ripped the felt roof off the new shed but the old, falling down shed was intact.

Our summer house exploded with the roof now at right angles leaning against the trees and the front lying at an angle 6 feet away from the summerhouse. Strangely, the glass panels in it are still intact.

Various plant pots and netting was scattered over the garden.

Apart from all that we were okay.

Today's weather has been hail, sleet, sunshine and blue sky, dark grey clouds and a blizard and repeat. It changed by the minute.

I was sorry to read about Catherine. She put up a long fight against her illness.