UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Equipment - Leads, Harnesses Etc - Discuss Them Here!

owl

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking it is time we had a thread to share our experiences of using different harnesses etc as quite a few of us have been mentioning these and there are so many on the market. I am still trying to get the perfect harness for my girl.

i am a big fan of xtra dog harness'... i use the fleece walking harness' and i also have the dog games perfect fit harness, i really like these 2 harness as you don't need to lift your dogs legs and as they are fleece lined they don't rub, also they have the front d ring as an extra point for lead attachment to help with pulling, i also use a halti double ended training lead which are comfy to hold in your hand

Edited by griff

Thank you, I will take a look at those two. I am a fan of Ruffwear harness but it doesn't have a ring at the front so am looking at other things. But I also need the grab handle on top.

Yantan was asking on another thread if anyone had experience of Doodlebone harness.

Harness is a can of worms here. i dont think i can ever get it right. Teddy is currently in a Hd Pulling Sports harness that I used on Jerry as a temp set up. Its been taken apart and resewn a number of times and now is used under neath his Antipull front link harness so that he doesnt damage his very sensitive skin. Still awaiting some re adjustments. but seem to be working ok so far, espec on a long lead. Jerry has a problem He has put on so much muscle since has has been here that he no longer fitted into the front section of his cart so i have had to design a softer harness that can replace the semi circular top bar. Not finished yet but at least he can get out with the others . Tilly is too old and set in her ways, I have several cheepo harness and others that floated about including the tracking harness that was being made for jake (cant bring myself to look at that yet,) but I can guarantee that the chance of any of them being suitable for new dog coming in , will be remote. I sthere anyone else that has the time and perhaps a bit of patience (>/) to do their own repairs?

I'm currently using the EzyDog quick fit harness for my two and really like it. When they pull, it puts the pressure across their chest and not at all round their neck. And the ring where the lead attaches is free to move a bit, so when the dog pulls to the side the harness doesn't twist at all. Its adjustable enough to cope with Kia and Logan's funny shapes, and has a bit of a handle at the back. Hurtta do a very similar harness, but the front bit isn't adjustable so the size that fit Logan's girth didn't have a long enough strap across the chest. It isn't an anti pull harness, but then I walk them with the harnesses and a double ended lead attached to dogmatic head collars, so use the head collar if they're pulling.

Jack and Lizzies harnesses are Julius K9 and the cheapest place i have found is Zooplus. Jack has had his for over four years and it is really good quality and doesn't slip off.

Jacks head gear is an optivizor and is designed to protect the dog head without totally encasing it. It absorbs the impact when he runs into trees etc. His eyes are protected from brambles and sharp objects, so it gives him confidence.

Edited by houndzrus
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

the receptionist at our vets has a rottie and she uses the julius k9, he has also had an elbow op (he is only young too) and she says it causes him no bother, she loves the handle on the back as she can grab him if he is kicking off and lead him away with the lead and handle..... she is only tiny as well and he rottie boy is a big lad