UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sad News

kats n greys

Thank you so much, Murtle. Lily has been such a Godsend to me. I'd always wanted a German Shepherd and when I first saw her I fell in love with her instantly. I met Owl in the car park of a local park after she'd been rescued from the Sheffield pound and I took her rescue at Leicester. Then I got her back on foster to nurse her back to health. And of course, she never left. I can't imagine being without her.

Aw, not a smooth ride for her to live with you, which means I hope this will be a smooth course to a quick recovery for her Smirnoff. I have my fingers and toes crossed for her that it isn't advanced and that the vets are able to treat her quickly and successfully. Huge hugs xxx

Edited by murtle

It was much more optimistic news from the vet yesterday. The chest x-ray was clear and they had trouble finding lymph nodes to take samples - which is good because it means they're not enlarged. Fingers still crossed that this can be sorted out.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Kats.

• Like 1

It was much more optimistic news from the vet yesterday. The chest x-ray was clear and they had trouble finding lymph nodes to take samples - which is good because it means they're not enlarged. Fingers still crossed that this can be sorted out.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Kats.

No probs with hijacking.

if you want any further info on Metronomic Chemo - I'll send you any I have.

Hoping that Lily is home soon.

Thank you, Alicia. The vet seemed to think that they'd probably blast it with doxorubicin just to make sure, as long as there's no spread to the lymphatic system. But if it has spread, it will be more a question of keeping it under control and the metronomic approach would definitely be worth thinking about. I've got that article stashed away so I can talk it over with them when the results come back.

Thank you, Alicia. The vet seemed to think that they'd probably blast it with doxorubicin just to make sure, as long as there's no spread to the lymphatic system. But if it has spread, it will be more a question of keeping it under control and the metronomic approach would definitely be worth thinking about. I've got that article stashed away so I can talk it over with them when the results come back.

There is lots of information about Metronomic Chemo around - mostly US based, if you require any more info let me know.

Sending lot's of good thoughts to Lily and you too.

I've found quite a lot about holistic treatments as well which we were thinking about when we made the decision not to go down the IV route.

Edited by kats n greys
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

This topic coming back to the top has reminded to update you all on Lily.

She had loads of scans and X-rays which all showed that there was no spread.

Since then, last month she had another lump which, to the vets, looked suspicious and needed removing. Trouble was, when they investigated it under anaesthetic it was quite large (about 2" long) and it had diffused edges which also needed to come out. To give a clear margin it would mean removing a section about the size of dinner plate which wouldn't heel so they did biopsies to establish exactly what it was. It turned out to be a skin infection which was successfully treated with anti-biotics.

They repeated the chest X-rays and there's still no sign of anything.

So we're keeping our fingers crossed that, when they took the original lump off, they got the whole thing and we've heard the last of it.

Lily is still very happy and full of life. She was such a sad, withdrawn girl when she came out of the pound two and half years ago, and now she's full of beans and has even learnt to play with toys. She's always ready for her walks and will go as far as we want to go with no signs of tiredness - she'd go a lot further if we did! She loves it when holiday dogs come to stay and she has a new playmate. She greets our old Bukinova George every day with a big lick and she often curls up at night (on my bed) with a cat cuddled up next to her.

Thank you to everyone for keeping Lily in your thoughts and sending positive vibes. I'm certain it helps.