UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sad News

kats n greys

Lloyd has managed to scare and amaze us by leaving his bed and getting on to settee unaided. :yikes:

Sneakingontothesettee_zpse484420a.jpg

Today is a good day- yesterday he was lethargic, depressed- we struggled to get any response out of him- poor Ray was reduced to tears when he tried to help him up and he really screamed.

He seemed to have no feeling in his back legs they were both knuckling under- today he's like a different dog. I was out walking Cushna & Sorda when I came back in he was giggling as he'd nipped out of the living room - walking back he panicked as he had gone from his bed, he looked to the other beds - didn't think to check the settee and was amazed when he saw him there. :laugh: :love:
  • Like 1

Thank you all for keeping Lloyd in your thoughts. :flowers:

It's been a stressful, mixed time culminating in another vet visit today. :(

We've had times when he's been unable to settle, trying each bed out numerous times- with lots of whining and panting (usually during the night) which has meant wondering if we've done the right thing, especially when he's struggling to walk (he's worse at 03:30, but then so am I :P ), then we've had others like today when he's happily bobbing up and down the steps to the garden - after a rested night. :)

He's been to the vet as he's got a oozing patch on the front of his chest that we were worrying about- as he's had such a major joint removed it's caused a fluid build up that's oozing through his skin and we have to help it by cleaning and helping the dead skin slough off. :o

As we keep reminding ourselves it's not two weeks since he lost a leg - if he was a human he'd still be in hospital not hopping around keeping us on our toes. :love:
Edited by kats n greys

awww bless him, you have done the right thing, you have given him a chance, hopefully in a few weeks all this will be a distant memory. is he on tramadol at all? my lad used to whinge and not be able to settle when he was on tramadol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

awww bless him, you have done the right thing, you have given him a chance, hopefully in a few weeks all this will be a distant memory. is he on tramadol at all? my lad used to whinge and not be able to settle when he was on tramadol

He is on Tramadol along with other pain killers.

Lloyd has his consultation appointment next Tuesday at Leahurst to discuss chemotheraphy.

He's doing well, he goes for a short walk in the morning, evening and just before he goes to bed, he's eating fine and all bodily functions are fine. He can still be restless and vocal, but only at night - not sure why, but the other morning he was demanding food at 04:00am (not very amusing at that time), so I think we have created a bit of a spoilt brat

oh bless him, hmmm they do have a way of getting you wrapped round their paw don't they?? could you try one of those automated / timed feeder things so you don't have to get up? you could pop a few biccies in there and hopefully that would keep him happy.

Apparently chemo doesn't affect animals in the same way it does humans... apparently the side effects aren't so bad for them which is good (mind you apart from feeling sick and tired my chemo doesn't bother me at all.... i get off lightly compared to some)

Bless him. He knows that he can have you running around after him now. They're so clever, aren't they.

It sounds like he's doing really well with learning to live with his disability. I don't think dogs think of it the way we do - they still think about their ability and what they can have fun doing. Chemo isn't as bad for animals because they use a lower dose. A friend of mine had a cat on chemo for about six months and although she had some days when she was quiet and looked a bit sorry for herself, she also had times when she was really well and enjoying life. A year on and she's a very active, happy cat with no trace of the cancer.

Fingers and paws all still crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
Lloyd is doing well - improving his El Divo act daily - tonight he left a few mouthfuls of his tea and about 30mins later he started whooing at us - couldn't figure out why, he'd been out done all he needed to do (fell into the bushes trying to c*** his leg :oops:), we gave him what was left of his tea and he's now gone to sleep. :laugh: :love:
We have decided not to go down the IV Chemotherapy route with his for a number of reasons, the main one being he gets very, very stressed at the vets (it's taken over two days to recover from Leahurst). The good news is his chest is still clear (as far as can be seen on X-ray). :)
We are going to try him on a protocol known as Metronomic Chemotherapy:- Less is sometimes More.
We've done lots of searching and reading since having this suggested to us, most of the articles, papers etc seem to be in the US - hopefully he will provide a good example for others trying to make the best decision.

• Like 2

That's really interesting. I'm going to bookmark that for future information. It sounds like such a logical solution.

I've lost my son and a dog to osteosarcoma but I've never heard of this type of therapy. I never want to come across this awful disease again, but if I do, I'll be doing some more research on metronomic therapy.