UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March's Mad Mumblings

merledogs

Jazz, you really need to get flea stuff from the vets, i use advocate as one of the others had reports that it no longer worked on fleas...... i have never had fleas thankfully but i helped a lad out who had allegedly got flea problems and i went to the vet and bought a spray for the house off them.... it was this stuff

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-household-flea-sprays-c-3_419/indorex-household-flea-spray-500ml-can-p-677

you need to hoover before spraying and spray literally everywhere...... do one room at a time and keep yourselves and the dogs out of that room keep the doors and windows shut (make sure your fish tank is covered too) empty the hoover outside into a plastic bag and tie it up and put it in your outside bin if it is bagless i would rinse the canister out, make sure you stamp your feet and shake your clothes as they can be carried on your clothing... so you could be bringing the fleas in from somewhere like on your walks

I agree with Griff.

There is no easy way to get rid of fleas. You need to tackle fleas very thoroughly.

The eggs/larvae can survive for months before hatching out so you will continue to see them unless you use a long lasting sparay like the one Griff says. It prevents them maturing.

Fleas lay their eggs in dark places so in crevices, tops of skirting boards, along the edge of the floor, down the sides of chaira and cushions. If the cushions come off under them also.

So hoover all these places thoroughly then spray them.

Wash any removable cushion covers.

Spray curtains and carpets.

The towels you use to dry the dogs could harbour eggs- I found this was how I was reinfecting my dogs when I opened up a towel and fleas were crawling around on it. I washed them in some flea shampoo.

I also washed the dogs blankets in flea shampoo.

Remember to hoover and spray the car also if the dogs have been in it.

Your bedding and clothes could also harbour eggs etc so need washing as well.

Everwhere the dogs have been could harbour eggs waiting to hatch out.

If your hoover has a bag dispose of it very carefully after each use . If it is bagless then empty it and wash it out to ensure no eggs are left in there. Preferably empty it outside in case any fleas in there escape when you empty it.

Some people out a flea collar in their dust bag to kill any fleas sucked up.

If you treat the dogs regularly, per the manufactureres instructions, any fleas emerging wil be killed before they can reproduce although you may still see them.

BUT you do need to use the stuff you get from the vet not the pet shop stuff.

As Griff says Frontline seems to no longer work in some places so getting the stronger stuff from the vet is worth it in the end.

Make sure you tell the vet what you hve put on the dogs already as it might affect when you can treat them agian.

i have just been to pick up some advocate from the vets and i was asked why i don't use frontline... i said i had heard it doesn't kill fleas anymore and the vet nurse told me it was people not dealing with fleas properly so whn they hatched from their pupal stage they thought they were reinfested... according to him when fleas are in their pupal stage they can't be killed... i also pointed out that we have a lot of foxes round here and as kota is a poo lover i would rather pay the extra than risk a baldy dog!

my brother rang this morning..... he has had my dads council tax bill emailed to him by the council!!!!! luckily we are related and it hasn't gone to somebody dishonest who could copy it and use it as id for a loan or something. he has emailed a very strongly worded email to the head of the council demanding an explanation as to how this has happened.... i don't know how they have got his email address, my dad is furious but we got of f lucky, a fella in australia has received a council tax bill via email for someone in our city! apparently the council have used a third party and it is something to do with same names in email addresses that have been used within the month... i don't understand it, we never even requested to have a council tax bill via email... i opt out of everything like that

ive done all that has been advised. my friend said it might be hedgehogs in the garden they are picking them up from. ive had fleas before when a foster has come in, but never not been able to kill them

advocate is the next thing

It can just take time Jazz. We had a problem with them once and once we had sprayed and retreated the cats we made sure we hoovered daily to catch any new fleas and Hoover up the old ones. We also washed the cats occasionally to make sure they had none on them. It did take a couple of weeks I think to make sure they were all gone.

Hope you manage to get rid of them soon.

I know ive done everything, its just annoying that the havent gone as quick as normal, but they do say fleas are getting stonger and resistant to a lot of stuff.

oscar is coming today. need to get some toys for him

have a nice day xxx

Hope the fleas go soon Jazz :flowers:

I was supposed to get up at 6.15 to do spin. I had a rubbish night's sleep though, so turned over and went back to sleep :rolleyes:

Alex, have you thought about keeping electronic devices away from your bed when you are asleep? I know that if I have been on my phone before bed, I always find it really hard to sleep afterwards. Keeping them away may resist the temptation to have a look when you wake up in the middle of the night, which will wake you up even more :flowers:

been busy today, went to lidl as they were doing 7.5 kilo of potatoes for £3 and 5 kilo of onions for 1.39 beings as i had my dad to lift them i thought i would make use of him, then i got my eyebrows waxed, took the pup out and just met two beautiful pugs, their owner has decided there is whippet in kota??

We are getting a new boiler fitted tomorrow, engineer arriving 8 a.m. Wispa and I will be in Clumber Park most of the day, away from the action but close enough to nip back if needed. New boiler needs a different flue so a hole will be knocked in the wall. I can't expect Wispa to be ok about a bloke coming in and taking the place apart.

:confused: Hello all, I had a fun Friday yesterday.....I got hit by a lorry! I was heading back to my office on the M25 and a foreign lorry clipped my rear wheel arch spun me round a bit then slammed into the passenger side of the car!! Thankfully I am OK and nothing else hit me after the initial crash, I confess I was a little bit hysterical female just after but calmed down fairly soon after. So far I am a bit stiff but not too sore but we will see.......wasn't what I had planned for my Friday I can tell you!