UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

2014 Gym And Fitness Escapades

gooster

Oooo not been here in a while.

Shoes arrived and they are brilliant. I can't have too much support in my shoes as I have flat feet 😄

So last weekend was a disastrous run, in fact many runs recently have been hideous. I can't run in humid / hot weather, my lungs give up and I really struggle I berth even with the inhalers.

However, did a half a marathon today in 2:24 (not fast) but really enjoyable and chatted round it with one of my running buddies. Hopefully out to bed a few *i can't run* gremlins as the time out for foot op, followed by dreadful Running conditions has made me feel a little negative!

But today was a good day! Fingers crossed for a cool / cold October!!

xxx

Well done on the run Mary , coming back from injury is hard and it's easy to lose confidence in your self

I am stuffed currently with my knee and I can't do anything but walk and even that's restricted , when I get back from istanbul my physio is going to start a plan for me to do some swimming and cycling but it's going to be months before I can do lunges or work with weights again

• Like 1

The loss of fitness was badly timed with the weather! So, once I acclimatise to the weather it will be better!!

Hopefully they can get you mended quickly Sam.

Do they know what you have damaged?

xx

Edited by murtle

• 2 weeks later...

Bleugh, sounds icky!

Knees are a strange body part. Hope it is healing well.

I ran a marathon yesterday, 5:18 really struggled with breathing again, apparently there was a high pollen count in the area...however met a local , to me, runner and we ran together. We were known as the two smilers on the course!!

Well done Mary

Today I had acupuncture in my knee !

I getting a bit low with it as I am hardly allowed to do anything and I am gaining weight which is of course not great for a damaged knee

I am adjusting my diet and trying to do some upper body work but it's a real blow and I have months of this to go yet

Be careful of your knees !!!!

I thought I had replied here, knees are a bad invention. Great when working, awful when not.

Are you allowed to swim or cycle? Those were my options after my knee ops.

4th run of the month completed yesterday. Stort30 in 6:45 or something. 30 miles out and back route along the river stort! Was a long day out but so pleased I did it. Knees not so keen from mile 20! Not sure why people say road is worse than trail, my knees hate trails / river banks!!

How is your treatment going Sam?

And totally unrelated Sam, did you get my fb message? xxx

Yes I did and will reply sorry it's all been manic here !!!

Well done on your run. What a fantastic achievement

My knee is much improved and I can swim and cycle now , I even did some lunges yesterday and it held up :) the acupuncture and releasing the muscle trigger points have made a huge difference

I have gained weight and lost muscle tone since not exercising but I am hopeful with some tweaks to diet and a exercise plan via my physio I can get back on track with out buggering my knee again which is my biggest fear

I have ordered from the USA a yoga package called DDP yoga which is recommended for obese folk and those coming off serious injury so I know it's knee friendly !!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am back !!!!

Physio has cleared me to exercise again , first job is to get rid of the weight I have gained not exercising !! ( around 14 pounds !!!! )

I am doing cardio at the local hotel gym ( 30-40 minutes a day ) and plan to start using the DVD workouts over the next few days , the most important thing is to not over do it and re injure my knee which is still weak

and remember to stretch stretch stretch stretch and stretch

Glad you can start exercising again :)

We have some new equipment at the gym. We have my zone heart rate belts that sync to screens in the gym/dance studio/cycle studio. They measure your heart rate and give you different zones to work in. They are fantastic - there is a website where you add friends and set them challenges.

That sounds amazing Jayne , your gym really invests in great equipment which much make it more fun. My old gym was a bit mean with things like that !!

I am having to start over with my routine so I dug out my person training plan from 2 years ago and did the first cardio session and was pleased to find that was pretty achieveable. my knee is holding up so I can do squats which is also a huge huge help as all my bob harper and jillian micheals DVDs and my Rip 60 ( TRX ) use squats a lot.

It's annoying to have lost some fitness , gained weight and lost tone but I am so happy I can exercise again and I am setting myself some realistic goals to lose weight so hopefully by end of March ( my birthday ) I will be back to where I want to be

I have a 100 metre pool here which is much harder ( for me ) than swimming 4 lengths in a 25 metre pool. I like swimming and can swim 10 lengths non stop but I suffer from boredom and get out when I could go on ! I found on amazon a waterproof headset / MP3 player and some one from the UK is bringing me a set next week so I can listen to an audio book and swim for longer