UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Jack Dog

Pendlewitch

Jack hasn't been right for a while, not wanting to walk and increasingly nervous especially round other dogs. Took him to the vet and asked for blood tests, the results came out as very high for pancreatitis. The worry is that with him having had two high graded mast cell tumours is that he could have a tumour in the pancreas, if this is so it's painful and untreatable.

It could be diet related, he's been eating Cesar dog food which is high fat and I'm guilty of giving him a lot of treats including the little rice pots and yoghurt cartons to lick out and lots of Tesco's misfits. Then there's bacon fat and chicken skin, etc, I could go on for ages to be honest! It's only now I've withdrawn the treats I've realised just how much I've been stuffing down him and he is now a bit of a porker at 8.5kg. Fortunately he is ball obsessed so when he's giving me puppy dog eyes for a treat I chuck his tennis ball and he takes off like a lunatic and forgets about food. He's now on the disgusting low fat Royal Canin which does look as though it's been through a cat's bum, amazingly he loves it! Cecil dog would not touch it at any price so I was a bit concerned about Jack refusing to eat it, fortunately no worries.

I'm also wondering about when I got Flossie dog on trial from the kennels, I took Jack's behaviour as aggression which is his default mode but after seeing his reaction to other dogs recently I'm wondering if it was pain related, he does sort of cringe then gets in with his teeth. I suppose it's a possibility.

Blood tests again in three weeks, if his levels have not come down then it's x-ray. Needless to say I'm very worried!

:GroupHug:

Hope that Jack is feeling better on his low fat food.

Rosie was diagnosed with pancreatitis in the summer. It was a major battle to find a suitable low fat food that didn't include chicken as she can't eat that. I have a whole spreadsheet of foods, fat levels and whether or not they have chicken in them! She's now doing very well on a pets a home own brand food which I wouldn't even have looked at before.

Fish4dog treats are mostly very low fat (apart from the stars) and Denes make some low fat biscuits, so Jack doesn't need to be without treats altogether.

That's what I'm hoping Ian, Jack is doing very well, he's more cheerful, more active, loves the awful looking food and has lost weight. At 8.5kg he was a serious porker, now down to 8.2, not a huge change but a start! I'm still using the ball to distract him from begging and am going to try to avoid treats altogether!

I think I should join him on the no treats but maybe not the dog food! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Great news! The good thing about distracting Jack with a ball is that it also leads to him being more active so it's a win-win situation :) I always had trouble keeping the weight of my old George. He lived to eat and it was hard to resist those big brown eyes. Thankfully Archie isn't that interested in food and eats sensibly plus he is a very active little dog.

Keep up the good work :flowers: